Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Explain LSD and ATRAC to me as I was a 5 yr old.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
Steve1155 will become famous soon enoughSteve1155 will become famous soon enough
Steve1155's Tacoma Gallery
Explain LSD and ATRAC to me as I was a 5 yr old.

I'm getting ready to buy a Tacoma. I like the look of the sport better than that of the OR. Obviously the OR is gonna perform better off road. If it's not too much to ask can someone explain the sports LSD and the OR ATRAC to me in simplified terms. I've never been an off roader but now with my son getting older I can finally do all the "dad things" with him, which would require be off road more. Don't know if the OR performance outweighs the Sports looks.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Here is my truck with TRAC (basically LSD front and rear)

http://www.vimeo.com/11775825

Here's is my friends 4runner with ATRAC, notice the difference in how much the wheels spin

http://www.vimeo.com/11777247
Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
High Speed, Low Drag
solidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to behold
solidcopy's Tacoma Gallery
If a picture is worth 1000 words, those videos are worth a million!

A-TRAC seems to brake the free-spinning wheel within only a revolution or two and transfer all the remaining torque to the remaining wheel (with traction) whereas TRAC seems to was a lot of torque on the free-spinning wheels.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1155 View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a Tacoma. I like the look of the sport better than that of the OR. Obviously the OR is gonna perform better off road. If it's not too much to ask can someone explain the sports LSD and the OR ATRAC to me in simplified terms. I've never been an off roader but now with my son getting older I can finally do all the "dad things" with him, which would require be off road more. Don't know if the OR performance outweighs the Sports looks.
You asked for a simple explanation so I'll keep it brief and simple for you. Simple is good.

LSD only works in 2WD. It will transfer torque to a wheel on the same axle.

ATRAC is an amazing piece of technology. It works in 4WD-4Lo, and prevents wheel slip like Auto-LSD but it's much more proactive. I recommend you go watch some or all of the videos we have collected here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ol-action.html
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #6
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
ATRAC and TRAC are Awesome

LSD just plan sucks..
Old 06-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Here is my truck with TRAC (basically LSD front and rear)

http://www.vimeo.com/11775825

Here's is my friends 4runner with ATRAC, notice the difference in how much the wheels spin
my TRAC doesnt slip near as much...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AH1...eature=related

not as good as ATRAC... but still really good. I wonder if the weight and size of the double cab long bed make the TRAC less effective...
Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
blackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackwidow2009 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
blackwidow2009's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crom View Post
you asked for a simple explanation so i'll keep it brief and simple for you. simple is good.

Lsd only works in 2wd. It will transfer torque to a wheel on the same axle.

atrac is an amazing piece of technology. It works in 4wd-4lo, and prevents wheel sip like auto-lsd but it's much more proactive. I recommend you go watch some or all of the videos we have collected here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ol-action.html

best explination so far!!!
Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
TRAC (in H4) in MY Tacoma (an OFF ROAD TRD 4WD) does NOT allow that kind of slippage... While it does not lock the free tire and traction tire as tightly as the A-TRAC (in L4) does, it still limits the free spinning much more than the video of the Sport Tacoma shows.

Keep in mind that A-TRAC only works in L4 and TRAC only works in H4 (and H2). Did the Tacoma do that in Low Range (then he had no TRAC)? The 4Runner WAS in Low Range (for the A-TRAC to work).

Either the Sport Tacoma TRAC works so poorly (because it doesn't have the hydraulic brake booster the Off Road Tacomas have) or he was in Low Range, so the differentials were OPEN!?

The only way for a Sport Tacoma to have TRAC in Low Range is to perform the Yellow Wire Mod... That wild spinning and dirt flinging was no example of TRAC... at least the TRAC that the Off Road Tacomas have.

Thank you for posting...

Steve 1155, I see the first reply you got had a link to my thread... I hope that helped you understand the traction options we with Off Road TRDs have... They are amazing!
Old 06-19-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
Steve1155 will become famous soon enoughSteve1155 will become famous soon enough
Steve1155's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the help guys. Little by little its soaking in. Never been into off roading, more of a speed guy so i know its gonna take a bit to learn everything. David K, yes I did check out the link to your post and it significantly helped. I did however have to read it over a few times, (my ignorance on the matter, not clarity of the info). I'm pretty much in the same boat where one person asked,"how and when would you need the different combinations of the transmisson, and if you could give examples in certain terrain." I do find that reading every related post on the matter is quickly starting to clear it up a lot for me. Thanks to all for your patience and help.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #12
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0AH1...eature=related

not as good as ATRAC... but still really good. I wonder if the weight and size of the double cab long bed make the TRAC less effective...
Maybe, I was also in 4hi. I did the 4lo trac mod, but then reversed it a while back to take it in for my tranny. Next time I go out I'll have to separate the wires again and try it in 4lo
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1155 View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Little by little its soaking in. Never been into off roading, more of a speed guy so i know its gonna take a bit to learn everything. David K, yes I did check out the link to your post and it significantly helped. I did however have to read it over a few times, (my ignorance on the matter, not clarity of the info). I'm pretty much in the same boat where one person asked,"how and when would you need the different combinations of the transmisson, and if you could give examples in certain terrain." I do find that reading every related post on the matter is quickly starting to clear it up a lot for me. Thanks to all for your patience and help.
Hey, it took me awhile to figure it out... and I have the thing! LOL

a) You don't need to touch a thing in 2WD (You have TRAC which is a 'lite LSD') unless...

1) You get stuck in a sand/ mud/ snow hole... and don't want to use the 4WD... so you quickly press the VSC Off button (for TRAC Off Mode). That puts you into 'AUTO LSD', which is like Posi Traction on the rear end (watch 'My Cousin Vinny') for a stronger LSD than norma,l in 2WD.

2) You want to spin-out like a drunk on ice skates in snow or mud, in 2WD (or 4WD Hi)... so you press and HOLD down, while STOPPED for several seconds, the VSC Off button. That puts you in VSC Off Mode which is OPEN differential(s).

b) In High Range 4WD, you are normally in TRAC, which is stronger than TRAC in 2WD... it is actually the same as AUTO LSD on all 4 tires (no engine output regulation). For open differentials to allow the tires to spin, then hold down the VSC Off button while stopped until the indicator lights come on.

c) In Low Range 4WD, the differentials are OPEN... Don't know why Toyota did that, because TRAC in H4 is more able to do things than L4 without TRAC. So, for more traction:

1) Push the A-TRAC button once, and each time you go into L4, you will have the locker-like traction of the A-TRAC system if you have the Off Road TRD. If not an Off Road TRD, then see the posts on the Yellow Wire Mod to give you traction control while in Low Range! It is not the same as A-TRAC, but TRAC is better than no TRACTION Control!

IF you ever get stuck, and have gone into Low Range 4WD with the A-TRAC, you also have the Rear Differential Locker to fall back on. I have not been in a situation (yet) that A-TRAC didn't get me through, however!

So, relax... in H2 and H4, you normally dion't need to touch anything. In L4, for steep or deep or crazy conditions: Press the A-TRAC button!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #14

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Maybe, I was also in 4hi. I did the 4lo trac mod, but then reversed it a while back to take it in for my tranny. Next time I go out I'll have to separate the wires again and try it in 4lo
Also, im wondering if they made TRAC more aggressive for 2010s. maybe they saw it worked really good in 09 and decided to try to make it tighter in 2010s???
Old 06-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #15

David K's Tacoma Gallery
the Hydraulic Brake Booster may be the reason it works better for us with Off Road TRDs... ?
Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #16

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
the Hydraulic Brake Booster may be the reason it works better for us with Off Road TRDs... ?
i dont have a TRD OR and mine works much better than the video posted
Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #17

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That's why I suspect that video didn't actually show TRAC at all...
Old 06-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #18
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Here's some more of my trucks trac, its there.

http://www.vimeo.com/11775504

http://www.vimeo.com/11756068
Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #19

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Okay if that was your truck in High Range 4WD with TRAC and VSC on, let's see the truck WITHOUT TRAC, to compare (hold the VSC Off switch down while stopped until the light comes on).

What TRAC does is reduce torque from spinning tire and transfer it to traction tire.

In your videos, I see a wild spinning tire, kicking dust... This is normal 'open differential' 4WD mode, not limited slip action.... at least not the LSD that we in Off Road TRDs have (TRAC in H4 or AUTO LSD in H2).

Thank you for taking the time and effort to show us what your (non off road) Tacoma is doing!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #20
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Okay if that was your truck in High Range 4WD with TRAC and VSC on, let's see the truck WITHOUT TRAC, to compare (hold the VSC Off switch down while stopped until the light comes on).

What TRAC does is reduce torque from spinning tire and transfer it to traction tire.

In your videos, I see a wild spinning tire, kicking dust... This is normal 'open differential' 4WD mode, not limited slip action.... at least not the LSD that we in Off Road TRDs have (TRAC in H4 or AUTO LSD in H2).

Thank you for taking the time and effort to show us what your (non off road) Tacoma is doing!
Whoa dude, I know how to operate my truck and I know when trac is being activated. If you watch the video above where my front passenger is in the air, you'll see it spin, then at about 0:09 you'll see the brakes grab it and the truck start to move forward.

Here's another one, this time I have two wheels in the air at the same time, and you can even hear trac activating.

http://www.vimeo.com/11756068