LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Off-road capabilities of stock 4x4 TRD Off-Road?

Old 06-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
High Speed, Low Drag
solidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to behold
solidcopy's Tacoma Gallery
Off-road capabilities of stock 4x4 TRD Off-Road?

I just picked up a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road and am wondering what the off-road capabilities of the truck are in box-stock form. I plan to add a set of sliders to protect the truck before I take it on any trails.

When evaluating a trail (prior to installing a winch) what should I look for danger-wise? What kind of inclines and obstacles will be to much for the truck to handle. I don't want to head out on the trails and get my new truck stuck the first time out.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
use your head.......that's all i can contribute
Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcopy View Post
I just picked up a 2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road and am wondering what the off-road capabilities of the truck are in box-stock form. I plan to add a set of sliders to protect the truck before I take it on any trails.

When evaluating a trail (prior to installing a winch) what should I look for danger-wise? What kind of inclines and obstacles will be to much for the truck to handle. I don't want to head out on the trails and get my new truck stuck the first time out.
Without any recovery gear, at least bring someone with you, have good strong D shackles and a recovery strap to pull one another out. I wouldn't go anywhere unfamiliar without someone else that has been in that area before.

Without installing the rear diff breather mod, don't go into any water that would go over your axles, along those same lines, don't go into any water before you check how deep it is with a stick, because there could be deep ruts.

You don't have a lift yet, so watch your clearance, and the factory skid plate isn't very strong, so just watch what is in front of you.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Search on info about the traction systems and learn how to use them and when to use them.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
High Speed, Low Drag
solidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to beholdsolidcopy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Without any recovery gear, at least bring someone with you, have good strong D shackles and a recovery strap to pull one another out. I wouldn't go anywhere unfamiliar without someone else that has been in that area before.

Without installing the rear diff breather mod, don't go into any water that would go over your axles, along those same lines, don't go into any water before you check how deep it is with a stick, because there could be deep ruts.

You don't have a lift yet, so watch your clearance, and the factory skid plate isn't very strong, so just watch what is in front of you.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.
I am planning on getting a hi-lift jack and accessories (including shackles, chain, base and lift-mate) as well as a recovery strap and some chain before I head out. I am not going to be going out without at least a minimum of recovery gear.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
High Speed, Low Drag
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to wait at least until my hi-lift and rock sliders are on the truck before I head out anywhere.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
the truck is only as good as the person driving it.

pow!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
broker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to behold

Name: Broker
broker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco4x4rar View Post
If you add some sliders/skids/decent tires(265/75-16) you can go just about everywhere someone with lift can go. Primary things to watch out for are you breakover angle and your departure angle in stock form those are the two real areas of concern.
randy was with me when i did my body damage

but stock form ive pushed mine to the max basicly and ive only gotten stuck once where the lifted trucks went where i couldnt because of ground clearance
Old 06-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
High Speed, Low Drag
Quote:
decent tires(265/75-16)
The truck has P265/70R16 BFGs stock. Does the 75 aspect ratio make *that* big of a difference? I mean, I can understand going from the rugged trails to Mud Terrains but I really don't want to yank off tires that currently have only 100 miles or so on them.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
High Speed, Low Drag
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker View Post
randy was with me when i did my body damage

but stock form ive pushed mine to the max basicly and ive only gotten stuck once where the lifted trucks went where i couldnt because of ground clearance
That picture is why I am going to wait until I have sliders before I tackle anything serious! Damn, is your truck OK?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #14
High Speed, Low Drag
Quote:
The aspect isn't really that big of a deal, but its more of the fact that the rugged trails really bring the suck offroad, expect extremely poor traction and cut sidewalls. Upgrading is a really good idea and might as well max out the tire size while you're doing it cause the cost difference is almost nill. Discount tire will usually give you 2-300 for tires in your contidion like a trade in sort of deal.
I didn't know about a trade-in deal of any kind. That totally changes things. In that case, yes, I think I will trade up to some decent tires. Assuming I am not going for a lift or anything crazy right away should I stick with All-Terrains or go for Mud-Terrains with the more aggressive tread?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
broker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to beholdbroker is a splendid one to behold

broker's Tacoma Gallery
yea nothing a 2x4 and a hammer couldnt fix. just a little paint transfer
Old 06-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
ProRacerNorm is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Corrections Officer
Name: Norm
ProRacerNorm's Tacoma Gallery
It is surprisingly not that bad i did more off roading before i lifted and modded my truck then after, I just haven't had any time or any good place to go in south jersey legally.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
High Speed, Low Drag
Quote:
Originally Posted by broker View Post
yea nothing a 2x4 and a hammer couldnt fix. just a little paint transfer
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
High Speed, Low Drag
Quote:
Don't get an MT unless you need an MT they are loud and wear crappy don't expect more than 30-40K out of a mudder. Hands down the one and only AT to own is the BFG AT and they are not too pricey.
I ran BFG ATs on an old truck and loved them, so that would be my first choice. The only thing I noticed is that the 75 aspect ratio tires are "not rated for severe snow" and the 70 aspect tires are. I can only presume this is due to the narrower footprint of the 75 series tire.

source
Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ran BFG ATs on an old truck and loved them, so that would be my first choice. The only thing I noticed is that the 75 aspect ratio tires are "not rated for severe snow" and the 70 aspect tires are. I can only presume this is due to the narrower footprint of the 75 series tire.

source
70 and 75 isn't the width. That's the sidewall height in percent of the width. Maybe the specific 75's you're looking at aren't siped?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #20

broker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

source
i ran the bfgs ats 70 on my ranger when i lived in morgantown, they did awesome in the snow