Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

DIY shovel and axe mount?

Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
High-Gear's Tacoma Gallery
DIY shovel and axe mount?

Does anyone have a link, or photos of some DIY Shovel and Axe mounts? I'm trying to mount them to a Con Ferr Safari Rack.

I'm interested in the Quick Fist mounts, but you can not purchase them locally. Does anyone have an idea of how to make one out of parts sourced at the local hardware store?
Old 06-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
If I were mounting it to a bar on a roof rack, I'd zip tie it on there and just carry a pair of snips.

You could also drill two holes through the handle of the shovel/axe and then put a bolt through a part of the rack and secure them that way.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Zombie Killer
High-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant futureHigh-Gear has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement:
I have wooden handles, will drilling through them weaken them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
If I were mounting it to a bar on a roof rack, I'd zip tie it on there and just carry a pair of snips.

You could also drill two holes through the handle of the shovel/axe and then put a bolt through a part of the rack and secure them that way.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
i would only drill a hole at the handle end of both of them....bolt thru that part, and use a bungee cord to tie them down near the axe and shovel heads.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Zombie Killer

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i would only drill a hole at the handle end of both of them....bolt thru that part, and use a bungee cord to tie them down near the axe and shovel heads.
Rodger that!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by High-Gear View Post
Drilling holes weakens the handle but is a secure method to mount.

I would just zip tie them up there. It's quick, easy, secure, and looks clean.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #7
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
how about mounting to the bed rails?
I mounted my shovel to the rails using Quick Fists...It came in handy during my last snow trip. If you can't get the the Quick Fists I would recommend either stainless steel hose clamps or u bolts to secure them to your rack.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Just order the quick fists online. Do it right.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:04 AM   #9
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...equestid=21914
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
I bought from End of the Road. Product arrived in about two days. Confirmation emails pair you with a representative and their direct phone line. Shipping was $1.50

I mounted similar to the above, but found that adding a 5/16" fender washer helps eliminate the fist from flexing.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Gear Head
5LUGTACO is on a distinguished road

Name: David
5LUGTACO's Tacoma Gallery
diy shovel mount

Ok so your setup looks really clean but do you know of any quick fist's or similar products that allow locking your shovel up with a key or something to prevent thief's from stealing your shiiiovel ?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
my shovel costs $8, I really don't think anyone is going to bother... and I'm not really going to worry.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #15
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
Is the rack on the roof?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #17
socal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsocal16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Diego
socal16's Tacoma Gallery
That's a pretty sweet setup
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #18
Lean Mean MPG Machine (best = 27)
pidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud ofpidro_el_pirata has much to be proud of

Name: Stefan
pidro_el_pirata's Tacoma Gallery
Shovel's got a hole on the end, just run a lock through it.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:51 PM   #19
southpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to beholdsouthpier is a splendid one to behold
southpier's Tacoma Gallery
+
The Thief Knot.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #20
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
I use a Swagman bike clamp. Not as cheap as a QuickFist, but very secure (can even get a lockable version) and it doesn't flex like a QuickFist. I found it locally for about $12. They are meant to be used on a hitch mounted bike rack to hold bikes.