LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Grinding gears when transferring to 4 lo

Old 06-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Grinding gears when transferring to 4 lo

How detrimental can it be to do that? I have an automatic (2006 TRD 4x4), and a couple of times I put it in neutral, switched over to 4 lo and then [sloppily] shifted into drive before the 4 lo annunciator stopped blinking... the result was a gear grinding fest until I quickly shifted back into neutral. Is this horrible for the xfer gears/linkages? I feel like my transmission has been behaving strangely since the last time this happened (lurching violently between gear shifts in 4 lo). Thoughts?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you shifting into neutral first? I just leave it in Drive and come to a stop before going into 4 Low. Never had a grind. I also have an '06 4x4 TRD
Old 06-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
You will wear the transfer case gears down doing it. Just don't do it anymore. The reason the truck lurches when it shifts when in low is because the low gearing transfers more of the shift shock through the drivetrain.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
Why are you shifting into neutral first? I just leave it in Drive and come to a stop before going into 4 Low. Never had a grind. I also have an '06 4x4 TRD
Weird. Mine wont shift into 4 low unless it's in neutral. If I try, the 4 low annunciator blinks and the siren beeps until I put it into neutral and start over. Also, the operators manual says that it has to be in neutral to transfer to low.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
You can't shift into low when in gear. You can shift into high when in gear.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Who needs instructions?
Old 06-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #7

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Who needs instructions?
We pilots take our manuals pretty seriously
Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
I think there is a difference between an AT vs. MT. The MT allows you to be in gear as long as the clutch is pressed. An AT must be in Park or Neutral.

BTW - I think that is an improvement the Toyota needs to make. I have to try multiple times to get it into 4-Lo, especially when on a hill.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Slamry
1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed1337Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
1337Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Only shift into 4lo while in neutral and at a complete stop.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM   #10

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
BTW - I think that is an improvement the Toyota needs to make. I have to try multiple times to get it into 4-Lo, especially when on a hill.
Same here, and same with locking the diff. Sometimes it takes some serious fiddlefucking to get the diff to lock.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #11
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
As long as I'm in 4wd I can go in and out of low with no problem. When you go into 4wd everything has to line up that is why it can take a while sometimes. Same with the locking diff. It isn't an improvement that Toyota needs to make just something you have to get used to because that is how the system works.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM   #12

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the explanations whippersnapper.

p.s. I used to date a beeeautiful girl from Chino Hills. I'm jealous of your climate.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #14
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Thanks for the explanations whippersnapper.

p.s. I used to date a beeeautiful girl from Chino Hills. I'm jealous of your climate.
Let's swap. I like rain and hate the heat.

I haven't met any beautiful girls here. The ones that are turn out to be crap when you find out most of chino hills has had a go at them.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #15

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The ones that are turn out to be crap when you find out most of chino hills has had a go at them.
Yes, those were the details that I left out. Therein lies the tragedy.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #16
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
There's your ticket ^
Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #17
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337Taco View Post
No need to stop completely, a very slow roll is fine, and it will engage easier. But it must be in neutral.