Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Post off-roading/trail riding maintenance and cleaning??

Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Post off-roading/trail riding maintenance and cleaning??

Hey guys, Just picked up an 02 TRD 4x4 taco the other day. Did my first little off-roading excursion this morning, had a lot of fun. Because im in S. FL a lot of it was in sugar sand, which i know can be a bit corrosive if it gets into places it shouldn't. Immediately after getting back to civilization me and my buddy sprayed the truck down, in the wheel wells and under the undercab. I know from atv and enduro dirt biking not to use a very high pressure of water as to not force any dirt/sand into places it otherwise wouldn't end up. Is there any other part of the truck I should clean? I didn't get a chance to do the engine bay but i'll do that next. Should I do the air filter? Is there a certain way I should clean anything?

What about post off-roading maintenance? Should I grease or lube anything after washing?

I did a search and found a few threads about pre-off-roading maintenance but couldn't find anything on post. Thanks,
Old 06-25-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaning...that's about all you can do.

Offroading doesn't add much additional maintenance - Check your owners manual for maintenance intervals. You might want to follow the "Extreme Conditions/Towing" recommendations.

Air filter? Check it each time.... Buy yourself a washable filter (keep the original one) and clean the air filter twice a year atleast or sooner if needed.

If you're running any water/mud - do some research about extending your diff breathers. This modification will help prevent water from getting inside your diff oil.

Offroading is hard on vehicles. You've gotta understand, that regular offroading is going to make things wear faster. Water/mud gets in seals & bearings and there's no way you can prevent that. It's a part of wheeling. Depending on how much wheeling you do, will depend on what types of maintenance & repairs will pop up over time. You just don't know...