Notices

A little worried about my sliders...

Old 06-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Farva is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justin
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
A little worried about my sliders...

Hey all, I recently saw a thread that someone posted about a set of sliders that got welded on wrong. Some mounting plates or brackets were mentioned. Im a little curious as to what these plates/brackets come into the picture. The PO of my truck had the sliders welded in this fashion...

is this correct ot asking for trouble? All 6 (3 on each side are done this way? Whatcha think?

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
That second photo...the mount pads would be between the mounting pole/gusset and the frame. It'd be a square piece of steel.

The gussets are a good thing tho....altho they are not welded completely to the top or all the way out the slider arm.

Could be done better- but if you haven't had any issues so far- I wouldn't worry too much...but that my opinion.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
♥ Emergency Medicine
m0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shedm0nster986 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: B.S, NREMT
m0nster986's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see any brackets... you're as screwed as the other guy in the other thread. =)
Old 06-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
BajaTaco96 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
BajaTaco96's Tacoma Gallery
Those sliders stick way the fawk out.

Look more like they serve the purpose of a step more so than a slider. The pair I just ordered have brackets on the end to weld to the frame, and gussets pretig'd on. Mine are made to fit close to the body and tilt upward slightly just outside the body.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #5
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
The guy who did it didn't happen to charge you a 'case of beer' for the install, did he?...
Old 06-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Scary, I would definetely rethink those!
And only 3 attach points? The should hold up to a tumbleweed but nothing more harsh!
Old 06-27-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....
jefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjefferson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sex Panther
jefferson's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jefferson
Yup. too far out and the gussets should be on the bottom.. not on the top. and some rustoleum woulda been nice. I say chop them off, make a plate for the slider to weld to and then to the frame, angle up a bit, reweld the gussets on the bottom, rustoleum paint, and you'd be set.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget to add a plate to weld to the frame! Tubes direct to frame=BAD! Just ask the folks on Powerblock!
Old 06-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Without a scab plate, if you come down hard on one of those sliders it will tear your frame open like a can opener, and while those gussets look like a good idea they will probably make it that much easier to cut into the frame
Old 06-27-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Farva is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard:
Name: Justin
Farva's Tacoma Gallery
Hey thanks you guys for the insight. Looks like Ive got some cutting to do and some metal shops to visit. The guy said the only offroading he did was just in the woods so I think those were more for the purpose of fending of tree than holding the weight of the truck.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #14
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
just so you guys know the gussets go on top "not the bottom"
Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
Yup. too far out and the gussets should be on the bottom.. not on the top. and some rustoleum woulda been nice. I say chop them off, make a plate for the slider to weld to and then to the frame, angle up a bit, reweld the gussets on the bottom, rustoleum paint, and you'd be set.

Maybe I misunderstood...But why would you want gussets on teh BOTTOM. They are meant to provide extra stability when the sliders are loaded...and that mean compression going up...so the gussets on top would help more, at least I think....
Old 06-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunes View Post
maybe i misunderstood...but why would you want gussets on teh bottom. They are meant to provide extra stability when the sliders are loaded...and that mean compression going up...so the gussets on top would help more, at least i think....
i know! :d
Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #17
cummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shedcummins6speed is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cummins6speed's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Maybe I misunderstood...But why would you want gussets on teh BOTTOM. They are meant to provide extra stability when the sliders are loaded...and that mean compression going up...so the gussets on top would help more, at least I think....
Maybe he rolls his truck a lot and likes to be able to hang the truck on the sliders upside down
Old 06-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #18
84socal is on a distinguished road

Name: the hated mother fucker
84socal's Tacoma Gallery
ur fine broski the taco frames dont look any thinner that a 84 pick up i have mine welded on the frame directly like that with no gussets and no plate of any sorts i have 3 consecutive years of extremly hard wheeling on them at the hammers i bent the outer tube on the slider but the frame is fine and straight i doubt u will ever hit them hard enough to rip them from ur frame these guys are all talk
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #19
Famous Fabrication

DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Talk to any "real" fabber or builder, never weld directly to the frame with tubing!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:39 PM   #20
84socal is on a distinguished road

Name: the hated mother fucker
84socal's Tacoma Gallery
must be a good thing im not a "REAL" fabber of builder then but i know how to beat the piss outs of things and see how much abuse they can take

a "REAL" builder never uses a mig welder either

its ok i dont know how to weld very good do i ????