Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Off-Roading & Trails

Notices

Little overnight 4-wheel camping trip in our back yard

Old 06-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Little overnight 4-wheel camping trip in our back yard

We simply call it "The Spot."

I've honestly never seen any signs of other people camping here in the 20 years we've been going to it.

It's like that Decrapio movie, "the beach," if you want to know where it is, you have to get invited and never tell anyone about it. Or die.

Couldn't get too many wheeling pics because the wife was crammed in the "back seat" so time was of the essence. Once off the forest service roads, it's truly only about 30 mins of 1st gear-4-lo slow bouncing over tons of rocks. Then you get to the hill climb. Atop the hill climb is "the spot"

The hill climb (the picture didn't quite capture the steep grade and length. Took me 2 times to get up the fu*ker (I'm losing my touch ). My 3 year old daughter riding shotgun was "yahoo'ing" the whole time. My wife snapped this photo, my guess is that this is 2/3rds the way up the hill:

Looking back down the hill after the climb. As you can tell by the grown in trail, not many people ever make it here :

^ the top of the hill climb

My girls atop the hill:

Some random shots:

View of Long's Peak (14,259') from the campsite:

Some hieroglyphics made by native 3 and 6 year olds:

Heading back down the hill:

Driving the next morning to go to Beaver Reservoir to eat lunch and hang out for awhile before heading back down the hill:

Just a small little overnight trip.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice! I have a spot like that down south we have left certain things in our fire pit we made and they have been left there so we know people dont go its so nice! I was up on rollins pass this weekend did some fishing in yankee doodle the trout were biting like crazy.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Very nice! I have a spot like that down south we have left certain things in our fire pit we made and they have been left there so we know people dont go its so nice! I was up on rollins pass this weekend did some fishing in yankee doodle the trout were biting like crazy.
We almost did the Jenny Creek trail, Yankee Doodle, etc... but decided to abandon the water features and go for seclusion.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
madjik..i just sent you a question (or two) as a PM. fantastic pics man.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
We almost did the Jenny Creek trail, Yankee Doodle, etc... but decided to abandon the water features and go for seclusion.
Yeah it is definitely highly traveled but the the fishing is good and the place I set up camp not many attempt some quads and what not but thats it so its nice. I have a spot in down south by buena vista and you could be out there for months and not see a soul. Your area looks very nice though! How is the fishing at Beaver Reservoir?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Yeah it is definitely highly traveled but the the fishing is good and the place I set up camp not many attempt some quads and what not but thats it so its nice. I have a spot in down south by buena vista and you could be out there for months and not see a soul. Your area looks very nice though! How is the fishing at Beaver Reservoir?
I love the camping/wheeling around Buena Vista. When my daughter is more road trip worthy, we'll be hitting more spots around the state. Unfortunately another great area is on fire now: Medano Pass. It's going to be a lot different when we make it back there.

I'm not much of a fisherman. If we're camping by a creek I'll do a little and eat whatever we catch, but it's not as though I go out for fishing adventures. But I hear they're hitting well in a lot of different areas right now.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
freeclimb10 is on a distinguished road
freeclimb10's Tacoma Gallery
Unbelievably gorgeous. I have always wanted to spend time in Boulder, and your pictures just rekindled that!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #10
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I lived there....
Old 06-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
Beautiful country! thanks for the pics.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:30 PM   #12
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Great pics!!! Man I miss living in Colorodo!!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Great scenery, I completely understand why you don't want to share its exact location! I know of a few places like that here in MT, not hard to get to but not many people know about them. And its best that they stay that way.
Got to have a great truck to get to places like that. Three cheers for 1st gen Tacomas!