1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Know thy enemy! Read if you care about your trails!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 4x4Runner, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner [OP] Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Do you ever stop and think about how much you enjoy the off road experience? Ever think about who is against you and your off road trails?

Take a minute and think about it, please!

How organized and how involved are you? Do you know any information about your DNR and their involvement in your favorite recreation areas?

Can you answer these questions?

Do you know the Sierra Club's stance on OHV use? Do you know how good they are at influencing their members? How about how well funded they are and how much they spend on lobbying to work against you?

I read a financial review of their operating budget a few years ago and then over 50% of their budget went into influencing public policy! I just did a google search and according to the BBB the Sierra Clubs expenses for the 2008 Year are as follows.

Studying and influencing public policy: $46,583,000

Information and education: $10,335,100

Outdoor activities: $8,527,300

Chapter allocations: $640,500

Total program expenses: $66,085,900

Now, I'm not that good at math but my numbers now show that 70% of their expenses... Almost $47 million dollars goes into Influencing public policy...

I posted the following in the Northwest regions.

What is missed by this gentleman is the fact that the DNR did what was required of them by law

Here is what the Washington DNR has been up to with Reiter.

There is an Environmental Checklist that has been completed as per the LAW for this area.

So,

In summary... What are you doing?

If you start to blame the "tree huggers" and the "enviro nazi's". Take a step back and look at your self and what you aren't doing to protect what is already ours!

$47 Million dollars... Think about it!

2. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Good info man. I don't know about trail situations here in mo but I definitely want to keep places open around the u.s. Simply for the sake of protecting fellow Offroad enthusiasts rights

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:52 PM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    The new BLM directive to inventory all area with "Wilderness Charicteristics" is of more concern to me. I am from Idaho and I have seen significant portions of my favorite deserts closed due to Wilderness designations or Wild River Designations or Wilderness study areas. Enough is enough and I am sick of the of the Liberal coastal states trying to regulate how I enjoy my local areas. Same goes for wolves.

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    malander

malander Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    Aw man I know about wolves up there that's some bull

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:08 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    So, then what are you doing other than blaming the "liberal coastal states"

How much time and money have you invested in keeping the trails open? What clubs are you involved in? Think about it, the Sierra Club has invested $47 million dollars to further their agenda politically... Their stance is ZERO tolerance for OHV use!

This is not to bash the Sierra Club or a bash the liberals. This is to take a look at yourself and get involved!

6. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM
    amadougrand

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    I stay involved as best I can, but it is difficult from where I am. The only times I get to the states are in the fall for a few weeks. So I do most of my politicking remotely. I have the personal emails of the Chairman for Idaho Fish and Game and the Chief of Staff for one of Idaho's Federal Senators. We have a very good dialogue and the opinions and desires of myself and those I know are relayed on a consistent basis. Most recently I prepared a proposal to the IDFG to change some boundary unit designations by providing biological and terrain justification.

I do my best, but I work overseas (currently Afghanistan) and it is difficult sometimes.

7. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    My hat's off to you then! The only thing lacking is the number of people following in your footsteps!

8. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    amadougrand

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Better yet, I am putting in an offer tomorrow on a 160 acres of my favorite country in that same desert. I can be my own steward then and the GOV will be required to leave me the existing road access across BLM land. The lot is 1mile x 1/4mile and is flat enough I can have my own airstrip as well.

I'm ready to come home now and start building.

back to the original point of the thread, yes offroad enthusiasts in the area are organizing and hopefully the spread of Federal and State land regulation can be reduced.

Killer Chicken, you have my sympathy being from Washington and dealing with the liberal agenda there. I did my grad studies in Seattle (my sister lives there) and there are far to many people with far too much money who think your ideas should be theirs.

Keep up the fight.

9. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Honestly I dont see Sierra to be enemy. They doing whats right by them and winning. If OHV community can not organize better then well we not gonna get access. I rather see land become wildlife preserve then another shopping mall that will get abandoned in few years, then fence off in order to prevent any liability.
    The true enemy is business/developers who take large chunks of land waste on some idiotic project then when owners file for bankruptcy its get abandon.
    I would rather see some way of working together with Sierra. :)

10. Jan 30, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    amadougrand

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Very true statement for the northeast. I also agree with you that the enemy is not neccissarily the Sierra Club, but in my opinion more radical groups with a penchant for debilitating lawsuits like the Wilderness Society , Western Watersheds or Defenders of Wildlife.

West of the Mississippi we have large tracts of open land until you hit the coasts. In most cases a crappy development is not feasable due to proximity to urban centers and no market.

Here's the compromise. You manage your state lands and we will manage ours without the interference of the Feds. Defund the BLM, Forest Sevice, Bureau of Reclamation, EPA, National Park Service and similar institutions. The rule should be if you aren't from an area or at least based there then you have no say. This goes for those who petitioned for the reintroduction of wolves in the Pacific Northwest (Namely Idaho, Montana and Wyoming). 95% of all people who signed that petition where from coastal urban centers. I scanned the first 30 pages or so and all I read was New York, California and Florida.

11. Feb 1, 2011 at 8:06 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I pretty much agree. I have a hand in both sides of the issue. I do a lot of wilderness exploration while backpacking and hiking so I like what the Sierra club does. I too however believe that if a trail has historically been open for vehicular travel then it should remain so.

The OHV community should work together with the Sierra club to find common ground where they can.

The biggest threat in the South West is urban sprawl and the solar developers who want to build massive sprawling solar powered plants in the desert. I would much rather see a distributed system so that every building generates its own energy.

12. Feb 1, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    My issue with the "Club" is the way they conduct their business. I believe in their root cause.

What I dislike about them is they continually mislead their members. My example is one where the email generator sent the email out to the members either not knowing that the DNR had completed what was required or was hoping the recipients would not know and then email the DNR and Government. Emails received from the "SC" carry weight in the fact they are financially and politically backed.

Products Discussed in

To Top