1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got back from my trip to Rausch Creek, PA.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by SilverTacoEater, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Oct 2, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    SilverTacoEater

SilverTacoEater [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    I have to say I had a blast. It was my first "real" offroading trip and my truck did awesome. :D
    Spent most of my time on green trails (stock truck), did a couple blues (mildly modified trucks) and accidentely went down a black hill. :eek: Luckily I was able to navigate down and come out unscathed. :) Can't say the same for my buddies. My buddy has a stock 89 Toyota Pickup and he damn near ripped his rear bumper off and my other buddy has a 10' Silverado (i told him those trails weren't meant for his truck but he insisted), and he smashed his front and rear bumper up a bit and crushed both of his step bars.:eek:

All and all it was a great trip and learned a lot. Going to invest in some armor and a lift so I can hit the blue trails more.

Here's a few pics I took with my cell:

100MEDIA36IMAG0020.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0021.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0105.jpg
    100MEDIA36IMAG0110.jpg
    2011-10-01 12.38.25.jpg
    2011-10-01 12.38.38.jpg
    2011-10-01 12.39.01.jpg
    2011-10-01 13.33.59.jpg
    2011-10-01 13.34.13.jpg
    2011-10-01 13.42.09.jpg
    2011-10-01 13.42.17.jpg
    2011-10-01 11.32.48.jpg

2. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:42 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    yeah the blues are fun purples are better :) what black did you make id down? there tough for modded tacos to make down unhurt!!!!!! ur buddy in the chevy is lucky thats all that happened..you should have him come when were running hard stuff... :) hehehehe
    glad you guys had fun its a great place...ive run all the greens,blues,purples at rc on all the propertys..its a great place...didnt get to do the entire trail 13 which is purple so thats my next plan...

3. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:50 PM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    I'm not sure what black it was. :confused: My buddy, who has been there a few times before, was navigating and one of the signs said blue I believe and he thought it meant the one we went down.

While we were making our way down two jeeps stopped at the bottom of the hill and watched. When we got to the bottom then said that we where crazy. :eek: We asked them why and they pointed to a sign that pointed up and it said black. I don't recall the trail number or letter.... I honestly can't believe i made it out of some of those trails without any damage. The only thing i have to show is a couple of scratches from branches and a dinged up skid plate. :D

The only thing i was a little disappointed about was my 4Lo. I was better off leaving my truck in 4hi so the LSD would work. :(

4. Oct 3, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    there mods that can help you with that..i believe its called the yellow wire mod...i have an 06 so i dont have that prob....and you ABSOLUTLY need to run 4lo on blues and harder

5. Oct 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    I went on a few blues and I was in 4hi for the most part. :confused:
    I didn't have any problems.

6. Oct 4, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    you can wheel in 4hi but it puts alot more stress on drivetrain and also you have WAY more control in low....why do you think offroad rigs gear as low as possible or we install twin stick t-cases , or crawler gears..... i wish my 4lo was even lower

7. Oct 4, 2011 at 6:10 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Increased stress on the drivetrain in 4hi isn't really an accurate way to put it. It's better to say you're going to have to rev the engine a lot more, and use more momentum to get over some obstacles. This provides greater chance of wheelspin, binding, and breakage.

If anything, the torque multiplying effect of 4Lo is going to stress everything after the T-case a LOT more than 4Hi at the same engine speed.

8. Oct 5, 2011 at 5:10 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    The times i did use 4lo i noticed that i was able to control the truck alot more. It's just that as soon as one of my tires would lift off of the ground or i lost a little traction i would get stuck and have to switch to 4hi so i could use my LSD. I'm going to have to look into the yellow wire mod so that I can get the LSD working in 4lo.

I've got a quick questions, I changed my front diff fluid yesterday because i went through some pretty large puddles and I only got about 1.9 quarts of new fluid in. The directions i've read on here say it should be taking about 2.2 quarts, give or take. Should I be ok, or should I drive it around a little and try to put more in it? :confused:

9. Oct 5, 2011 at 5:36 AM
    sprocketdog

sprocketdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax Pa
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco 96 Taco 06 TSX 94 extra cab Hilux
    DR coilovers, Camburg UCAs, Dakar rear springs, Bilstien 5150s, Demello sliders, rear plate bumper w/ swing gate, and alot more mods. [IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd368/sprocketdog1/059.jpg[/IMG]
    You might want to check your specifacations in the manual I know my 05 DC only takes 1.6 quarts in the front.

10. Oct 5, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    SilverTacoEater

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pasadena, MD
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5 4X4
    Stock
    Probably should have checked the owners manual in the first place.....:eek:

11. Oct 5, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    hard2kill

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    yup...lol

Products Discussed in

To Top