1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Am I gonna regret welding...

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by LonghornTaco, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:30 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    ...on these All Pro sliders? If I have them welded, I can put them just a hair lower than if I bolt them on, giving me a little more space between them and the cab AND I won't have to notch the pinch weld. But, that seems pretty permanent. And from what I'm hearing, there is a chance they could bend a little... So replacing them would be a pretty painful thing.

But, if I bolt them on, they bend up then I can just unbolt and replace them. However, in order to get all four bolts into the frame, I'll have to notch the pinch weld to get them high enough.

Thoughts? Anybody within 100 miles of Minneapolis want to buy some sliders?? :)

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:31 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    I'd weld them on... wouldn't want to mess with the pinch welds.

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    My buddy told me if you have. Good welder and later you decide hmm i dont want these sliders you can take them off just sand to smooth and repaint my buddy showed me his jeep and you couldnt tell he welded them on before

4. Dec 15, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco [OP] Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    I like the idea of welding them on, just questioning whether I want to weld "these" particular ones, since it sounds like I could have to replace them at some point.

This is what kinda scares me if I have to have them removed... I get some welder that says he's good then grinds too deep and now my frame is jacked...

5. Dec 15, 2008 at 2:19 PM
    dtrujillo63

dtrujillo63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Denny
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 Sport
    Is it really that hard to find a good welder? Did you try muffler shops? Try going to a metal shop, or a place that sells metal. They might be able to get you in touch with a professional welder.

This should be cake for a professional welder to weld or unweld.

6. Dec 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM
    duckcmdr

duckcmdr If it flies it dies!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB 4x4
    ARB Winch Bumper, Cabelas trial gear 2 mats, Wade vent shades, rear TSB, Toytec TSB AAL ,5100's set to 0,886 coils w/top plate 285/75/16 Treadwright at on Raceline Raptors, Toytec Diff drop, Bud Built Skids,Total Chaos LCA Skids,Devil horns,LED Dome Light,Scan Gauge, Rear Diff Breather, Revenge Fab Sliders. XRC 8 winch, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters 100 watt, Redline hood Struts & ez-down tailgate, G-stop extended SS brake lines,Homeroshi front grill and snorkle grill, relentless fab hc rear bumper
    Welding does not make it permanent. You can easily grind off the weld joints yourself with a grinder.

Why will you need to replace them soon? I'm just wondering I'm looking at buy a set not sure what kind. I like the looks of the shrocks but they are pricey. I do have a good welder i may ask him if he can make me a set.

7. Dec 15, 2008 at 2:44 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2

8. Dec 15, 2008 at 2:46 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i had them taken off my 07 and put on my 09 when i got it....far from permanent. this shop cut the welds, sanded them smooth, and repainted the spots on the frame. you could not tell the frame had been touched, besides the shiny paint

Products Discussed in

To Top