1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First time offroading

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Ascott7555, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Dec 15, 2008 at 9:03 PM
    Ascott7555

Ascott7555 [OP] Fat Scott

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Stock 2009 Sport
    We've had alot of heavy rain here in Jacksonville lately, and id been burning to take the new truck offroad. I finaly heard of a few trails out at Croatan State Park, so I grabbed three of my buddies and a 12 pack and headed up there. Most of the time was spent driving around looking for trails, but I finally found a few and got a feel for my trucks abilities, as well as getting my feet wet at offroading ( except for riding in my buddies trucks in high school, the only times I had been offroad was bouncing around a humvee in the desert being miserable) The first one was a powerline trail that did not look very promising but I figured what the hell. I ended up getting myself stuck on a tree stump hidden under some grass, but we fixed that with a couple of logs. The last one was pretty badass, and I had a hell of a time, I think I went up and down 3 or 4 times. Some of the mud holes looked pretty intimidating, but by the last time I went through in 3rd gear/ 4x4 low I barely even slowed down. I was extremely impressed with how my Truck handled.

But god damn...they told me black was a hard color to keep clean... 15 bucks later and two car washes later I still have alot to clean.

I knew that I was going to do some modifications, but after all that and watching some youtube videos, im trying to figure out a budget till my EAS.

IMG_2978.jpg

2. Dec 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    slo2sixty

slo2sixty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Syracuse, NY
    Vehicle:
    19 cement DCSB TRD offroad
    thats what we like to see! Keep up the good work.

3. Dec 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Hell yeah!

4. Dec 16, 2008 at 12:46 AM
    Stewie

Stewie Damn you, vile woman!

Member:
    Roseville, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4 TRD Sport
    with P265/65R17 Dunlop GrandTrek AT Tires and a tow package.
    Nice work, LOOKS GOOD! Can't wait to take mine off road, I still haven't gotten the nerve.

5. Dec 16, 2008 at 5:44 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    Yep black is a bitch, but it is the best color. Like Tacomaman06 said you should come to Uwharrie with us in the spring it is a blast! Happy Modding!

6. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    someone drawing on the side of your truck? grounds for a backhand where i'm from...especially on black paint. don't roll down your windows with crud on them either.

as for the offroading bug...check out TTORA.com. lots of offroad modding going on there.

7. Dec 16, 2008 at 11:25 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    Wow, thats a muddy truck....nice job

but if someone had written something in my dirty black truck paint, i would punch him on the face.... i hope that doesnt leave a mark....

8. Dec 24, 2008 at 11:16 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    haha it took me 3 days 20 bucks and 2 brushes and cleaning supplies to get mine clean after mudding in it the 1st time

1st day did exterior just to clean off a lil mud so mom wouldnt freak
    2nd days actually washed it, got mud off roof ect
    3rd day put it on ramps, got a hose+stiff brush and cleaned underr carraige

9. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:05 PM
    PatHLC128

PatHLC128 College.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 AC
    OME complete 3" kit, 265/75/16 Cooper STTs, Pro Comp 7089 wheels, Shrockworks sliders, UWS Low Pro Toolbox, AFE Pro-Dry S, OEM Bedmat, Ventvisors, Husky Liners, Tint, De-badged
    be careful off roading in the croatan...i was there one day and i got stuck in my old 4runner. i had to get pulled out by some guy who was passing by and he was really hesitant about helping me. he said there were big fines for off roading back there. later that day we saw a park ranger and he told me (after noticing the mud all over my truck) that i could have been fined $10,000 for going down some of those trails off the main dirt road. i dodged a HUGE bullet that day. its not all of them but some of those trails are strictly off limits for some reason.

Products Discussed in

To Top