1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Multi-purpose strap

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by cbcs1987, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 [OP] Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    I'm plannin on going to buy a giant ratchet strap tomorrow. As far as use for offroading, it will only be used for minor "stuck" situations. I wont be takin my truck on to harsh of a trail. It will probably only be used for very mild snatching when friends get stuck in a slew we go to alot. Anyways, I was wanderin if the giant "ratchet strap" at home depot and lowes would work for that. Heres what I'm talkin about- http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=45494-37340-1RT227&lpage=none

It's primary use would be for something else but if I could also safely use it for mild snatching that would be great. If not I'll just by a recovery strap too. Just wanderin if you guys think it would be safe to use. They have advertised a working load of 10,000 lbs. Just tryin to kill 2 birds with one stone​

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:24 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You should always wheel with another vehicle - and you wouldn't need to ratchet yourself out of a 'stuck'. Sorry, had to mention it. :D

The one problem I see with using that ratchet strap, is that it'll stretch and you don't have a lot of 'leverage' to muscle the load. And what I mean by that is - once you hook that up and after you ratchet it enough to get the 'stretch' out of the strap - that is when you're muscles are gonna be killing you. That ratchet handle is very short - not nearly long enough to get the leverage you need to pull on a 4-5000lb vehicle.

Do you have a hi-lift jack?

You're much better off using a hi-lift jack.
    Take a look at this site:
    http://www.bb4wa.com/articles/hilift_jack.htm

Using the hi-lift jack, you're doing the same thing, but you have a much stronger device and a longer handle for the leverage you need.

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:58 AM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    I think you should buy a hookless recovery strap. Then buy a normal ratchet strap for securing loads, etc.

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM
    cbcs1987

cbcs1987 [OP] Redneck from the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4wd access cab
    6" Fabtech coilover lift. 35/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson MTZ, 17x9 ProComp 1089 wheels painted black, UWS black lowprofile toolbox, husky liners, tacoma bed mat, bed lights, Premier stereo, Cobra 19 cb, firestik 3' antenna.
    Sorry I didn't explain better. I'm not actually going to be using the ratchet part itself if someone were stuck. I would only be using the ratchet strap as a recovery strap (not using the ratchet handle). The only time I would be using the ratchet strap as a ratchet strap is for when we go huntin and I have to use it for cargo on the trailer. I was just wantin to be able to get a giant ratchet strap to kill 2 birds with one stone. Basically, I want the ratchet strap for haulin cargo, but if it can also serve as a recovery strap, that will save me some money. Sorry i know this is confusing

edit- I will probably end up just gettin both in the end. Just now noticed where you said it'll stretch

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Member:
    G'Ville, NV
    Vehicle:
    Taco TRD OR
    Not much yet, got a pretty good sound system w/ my custom sub box. Plan on adding more lights & a tool box.
    1 point that may have been over-looked is that DelmarvaTaco stated a "hookless" strap for a very good reason. Should a strap break under a load, ie, towing your buddy out of the slew, that anything attached to that strap becomes a missile. The ratchet strap you speak of would be a nasty missile. That is why you hear of folks throwing a coat or towel over a atrap when being towed. It retards the energy of a strap if it breaks.

6. Jan 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod

Products Discussed in

To Top