1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Very hesitant about doing some LIGHT wheeling,is it ok?What are some do's & do not's?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by kyleTRDtaco12, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM
    kyleTRDtaco12

kyleTRDtaco12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tacoma Base DCSB 4x4 V6 6MT (202)
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Ive got a 2012 Toyota Tacoma DCSB 6 speed manual 4x4... And I've been asked numerous times to do some wheeling ... But I'm very hesitant mostly because I'm a novice off roader and that truck is brand new with 4200 miles on it... I mean... It's got bilstein 5100's all the way around and a decent set of tires... But I really don't know what to do.. What parts does wheeling put extra stress on?? And btw I'm only looking to do some /light/ wheeling... And what are some do's and don't 's of wheeling... Thanks .. Sorry for all the newbie questions... :(

2. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    air down your tires
    carry tools for your truck
    carry a spare tire
    trust yourself. If you are not comfortable with it. don't do it. Its yours
    fill up with gas
    make sure all fluids are topped off.
    bring tow straps.
    Go with 2 vehicles since you don't have a winch.
    Tell someone at home where you are going, and what time to expect you home. (just in case something bad happens they will come look for you)
    bring lots of water and enough food.
    engage 4wd all the time while OR
    remember where your oil pan is.
    watch your approach/ decent angles. The front tends to get hung up easily if you have no lift.

I have always lived by this rule : if you cannot afford to break it, Play nice with it.

3. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:03 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    go slow.

slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
    not rambling all over the place tends to preserve parts

watch where you're going, and use a spotter if you need to
    choose lines up obstacles that give your truck the most traction and take your trucks clearance into account

if you just start with really light trails, you shouldnt have much to worry about, just go slow

4. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:04 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    do. i do light wheeling all the time. if you are not comfortable don’t go any farther. airing down is good if you can air back up when you hit the road agin. i don’t all ways air down. i’m all stock except tires. i do fire/haul roads every other week or so.

5. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:08 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    As others have stated, trust yourself and your instincts. If it looks too difficult, and you don't feel comfortable, then don't do it. Attempting to do something you're not comfortable with can lead to dire situations, especially if you're new to off-roading. Other than that, if you're only doing light wheeling you don't have much to worry about! Just take it slow. When people use too much skinny pedal, well that's when stuff breaks. ;)

6. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:15 AM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    ^ All good advice ^
    Try to follow someone with an equally equipped AC or DCSB (same wheelbase) with experience.

7. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    and remember to throw it into N before L4

8. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Interesting question and great info from the group. Just bought this one so haven't really had it out yet due to time. It took me awhile with my last taco, but eventually realized there was no reason to have the truck if I didn't play with it a little (especially with a 4x4). It's a lot of invested money so be comfortable with what you do. No need to climb like you see on tv your first time out.

9. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Cat-Back Exhaust TRD Sport Package Springs & Shocks (Front Linear Coil Springs, Rear TSB Leafs) Front & Rear Toyota/Bilstein 40mm Shocks) Silver Toyota 16" SR5 Wheels with 265/70/16 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A Tires w/ Locks OEM Black-Chrome Housed Headlights (SR package) OEM TRDpro Grille Insert RokBlokz Rally MudFlaps w/ Stamped Logo OEM 'TRD Sport' Bedside Graphics TRD QuickShifter w/ TRD Shift Knob Hawk HPS Front Brake Pads w/ Brembo Blank Rotors OEM Front Aluminum Skid-Plate eBay TRD seat covers Rear Diff. Breather Mod A/C Drain Extension Mod OEM Fog Light Kit OEM Intermittent Wiper Switch OEM Bed D-Rings OEM Bed Mat OEM Door Sill Protectors Blacked-Out Badges (from Xrunner 205 Black Sand Pearl) Pop & Lock Tailgate Handle TruXedo TruXsport Roll-Up Tonneau Cover AVS BugFlector II Front Bug Guard AVS In-Channel Window Vent Visors TRD High Pressure Radiator Cap Stubby Radio Antenna Ultra-Gauge EM v1.2 w/ Windshield Mount BullaCulla 7-Pin Relocation Bracket Misc. Stickers
    Haha sounds great guys, i really appreciate the feedback and will keep all of your advice in mine :) and i deff dont want to ge beyond my limitations :) thank you all again very much :)

10. Sep 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM
    12Tacoma

12Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 trd off road 4x4
    husky liners, undercover tonneau, ome 885's, 2" aal, 265/75/16 duratracs.
    Avoid deep mud and water until the warranty is up.........

I sold my beater (93 YJ) so its fire roads and snow for me for the next few years :)

Have fun!

11. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    buy another pos for trail duty...

because if you use the one you have...

it will become a pos :p

12. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM
    Trifenix

Trifenix Well-Known Member

Member:
    so cal
    Vehicle:
    99 LT 5 lug Taco
    Lot of good info here.

13. Sep 4, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    This to the max!!

14. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    DOnt be nanny push the skinny pedal.

15. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    No one mentioned insurance yet ? Keep full coverage, that's for sure, or buy a full cage.

16. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    xodeuce

xodeuce mmmmmmbourbon.

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2004 UZJ100
    If you're constantly staying on the brakes, use 4Lo. That plus putting the transmission in first / low 1 will give you a ton of engine braking and keep you from wearing out your brakes.

17. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    don't overestimate your ability, or lack thereof.

18. Sep 4, 2012 at 2:55 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    yea but brakes are alot cheaper than transmission parts.

19. Sep 4, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    Any good trails in Edison?? Lol lets go!!

20. Sep 4, 2012 at 3:04 PM
    kyleTRDtaco12

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:

^ i was considering this actually.. but im saving for a project car atm so idk if i should just hold off on hitting the trails just yet... i may possible get a cheap running fix er upper Land rover discovery 1 for just trails :D in an automatic.. idk how good stick shift is off road. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top