1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

San Diego Newbie

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by BleachyFooo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    BleachyFooo

BleachyFooo [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '06 4X4 TRD Sport
    I just recently purchased my first truck that has 4x4 and now I have the itch to get out and use it. I am not looking for anything difficult or that has the potential to total my truck. After doing some reading online and here on TW I have found a few trails here in San Diego that I think would suit my skill level. I have never been off-roading in my life. My intention this weekend is to possibly give Otay Mountain Truck Trail a go.

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Otay_Mountain_Truck_Trail

Is this a mistake being that it is my first time? Or is there a better place that someone can recommended?

Any tips on what to look out for, what to bring, etc.....

2. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Anything labeled as 'easy' would be like driving a normal road for a Tacoma. FYI. I've never been there though, sorry. Always gas up right before getting on the trail though, and bring plenty of food and water and alternate means of communication just in case you get stuck or hurt. Seeing as it is easy, its likely just a dirt road though.

3. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Nov 14, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Otay Mountain Truck trail is an easy dirt trail. Nothing difficult about it. Lots of Border Patrol activity, but they'll leave you alone once they check you out. Welcome to TW. :wave:

5. Dec 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM
    n0ms

n0ms Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    1st gen i4 single cab 4x4
    Celica seats, Icon in rear and front with icon ucas, omd leaf springs, deckplate mod, lce header, Tundra brake swap.
    I am going to Pine Valley Corral Canyon in a week or two . The main trail is easy enough, might get some pin stripping on that new clear coat tho.

6. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Welcome to TW Michael, now get your butt over to the SoCal section of forum, go to the San Diego BS thread & post up your plans, we'll pop your cherry for ya.....:D:D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

& dont listen to this guy, he'll take you up Bronco Peak or some other truck eating trail......:p:p:p

j/k:D

7. Dec 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    YouNext

YouNext General Calamari

Member:
    San Diego
    K&N FIPK, Gibson Exhaust, Doug Thorley Headers, URD pulley, Stoptech Cryo-treated Slotted Rotors, Deaver J59, Bilstein 5150s, Total Chaos LT (w/Spindle & Tower Gussets), Icon LT C/Os.
    Otay Truck Trail is a cool place. I haven't been there this year, but last I remember they're starting to pave the main path. The trail features plenty of tangents to run up and around, and a few hills to climb. There are a few select tangents that are on the dangerous side but scope out before you turn out and you should be fine.

PM me if you plan on going anytime soon, I just might go with you... :cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top