1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Off-roading with rear wheel drive?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by crimsoncrusader, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    crimsoncrusader

crimsoncrusader [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner 3.4L RWD
    Roll-up Tonneau cover
    So I have an '04 double cab V6 Tacoma, and my friends and I really want to go off-roading in it. I would prefer not to go through really muddy and hilly trails, because after all it's rear wheel drive, and getting stuck isn't fun. I know its not really a good idea to take a RWD truck off-roading, that's why I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on relatively cheap modifications I could make for a better off-roading trip (as in, not getting stuck) and any good trails in North Carolina I could take it down. Thanks!

2. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    First off welcome to TW!

Check out URE National forest. I wheeled it once a few years ago and there are plenty of 2wd trails as long as it's not wet out. It's primarily clay so when it's wet its not what I would consider 2wd territory. Also the trails are rated so talk to the locals before hand to see what trails you should stick to.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/horseriding-camping/recarea/?recid=48934&actid=30

also pop into your regional threads and ask those guys. You have a good group in your region. I have meta few of them and they are stand up guys.

Oh and never wheel alone. As long as you have a 4x4 with you they can always tow you up the hills :D

3. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Save for an ARB locker, $1k ish, a winch, and what the others have already said.

4. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    tacofire38

tacofire38 Captain Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Land o Pears,TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco PreRunner SR5
    V-Tech gunmetalrims, BFG All-Terrains, Front 5100s and OME 884 coils, Rear 5160s, Rear AAL, SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers, Hummer Bed Rack, Thule Kayak Roof Racks........
    The best mod you can do is invest in some good tires.. You would be suprised what you can do in a 2wd with some good rubbers:p Still wont be able to wheel lilke a 4x4 but it definantly makes a difference, then later down the road if you have the loot, get a locker for the rear diff. I have an ARB air locker on my prerunner and have been able to keep up with 4x4s pretty good (just not completely) lol

GoLongJoe likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    The Traveler

The Traveler Desert Chief

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1991 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Prerunner
    Tires make a huge difference, 2WD or 4WD. I rarely have to use 4WD for the trails I do, so I'd say with a decent set of all terrain tires, you should be ok.

Also agree on never wheeling alone. Having 2 trucks, even both are 2WD puts you at a much bigger advantage in the event of something going wrong.

6. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    2WD and offroad all the time. With the mentioned above mods knowing when to get on the skinny pedal and let off is key to keeping you unstuck in some situations.

GoLongJoe likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    pigger

pigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Rio Rathole
    Vehicle:
    04 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    Detroit True-Track rear limited slip, steering rack bushings, shell, SAF decals, Wheelers 5-leaf & Bilstein 5100's, some nice LED lights from Chris, big-ass bumpers, older-than-dirt owner
    I had an '01 2wd Taco before I went 4wd, and I took it offroad a lot. I did get stuck once in nasty caliche clay (just slid off a dirt road into a ditch) & had to be pulled out by a 4x4. Mostly I just stayed off the gnarliest trails. I even took it up the rock trail out of Telluride, CO once, but only made it a few miles before I had to go back; that is a 4x4 road for sure.

8. Feb 14, 2013 at 5:11 AM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    I like to put a little weight in the bed, air down the tires, bring a shovel and dont be afraid to really give it gas when things get sketchy. Also a big come-along cable puller is alot.cheaper than a winch.

9. Feb 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    MudFlap

MudFlap Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Memphis (north mississippi)
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road
    Off roading with a 2wd is kinda better than 4wd in 1 aspect.

If youre only 2wd and ya get stuck then it shouldnt be that hard to get another 2wd truck or even a 4x4 to ya to pull ya out. If you get stuck with a 4x4 then your options for getting pulled out are narrowed by a good bit. This is a lesson to learn. Just because ya have 4wd dont mean that you wont get stuck........ it just means you will be a hell of a lot farther from help when you DO get stuck.

10. Feb 22, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Cyborg

Cyborg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Neil
    Florida
    got my truck stuck in the mud for the first time this morning. and i was alone. not a good feeling. im all stock on stock tires and i slid into a muddy ditch in the rain. i wasnt going fast or anything, but the road was sloped a good bit and i couldnt get any traction and ended up in a small ditch. luckily i had my shovel (etool) and plenty of trees around to help me put something under the tires to get traction. some new tires are definitely my top priority at the moment. i dont want to be stuck in the mud while its raining and im alone ever again!

11. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    rawdog

rawdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Kelowna B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade PKG DCSB
    done deal

12. Feb 22, 2013 at 7:33 PM

127.0.0.1 AKA ::1

Member:
    /etc/hosts
    Vehicle:
    2013 NBM AC 4.0 4x4 Auto OR
    really good tires

and chains for emergency traction...
    [besides snow...on roots and mud chains help
    a ton if you are stuck...and are cheap]

13. Feb 22, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Cheaper and a shit load more dangerous. And far from a real recovery tool. If you plan on offroading, get a winch.

14. Feb 23, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    Is OP TRD (elocker)?

15. Feb 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    Welcome from TN! check out the NC thread and the NC/SC thread. maybe some 4x4 guys are around you and would meet up and go wheeling with you. or heck maybe some 2wd guy will go or know a good place to go! 1st get some good A/T’s! maybe get a small 12v air pump, so you can air down some than air back up one you ready to hit the road agin.

x2!! and a lot more work!!

16. Feb 27, 2013 at 7:53 AM
    Bistineau

Bistineau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier Parish La.
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prerunner SR5
    Para-bolic mirrors on the outside rearveiws.
    In addition to what everyone else above has said, if you take enough of your buddies with you wheelin, if you get stuck put their asses to work pushing the truck to get you out. If they aren't willing to help out in this situation, then they aren't much of a friend anyway. Tell them to find their own way home after you get unstuck. After walking 10-12 or more miles back to pavement they may wish they had helped out in the first place.

Products Discussed in

To Top