1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new build

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 98589, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Feb 27, 2013 at 6:21 AM

98589 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Gentleman, I’m request the knowledge and guidance of senior Tacoma owners.
    I own a 2003 4x4 Tacoma access cab I love the truck but it’s time for an upgrade.
    The build
    2013 Tacoma TRD sport double cab.
    I want to get more into “performance” all around better capability; I’m not just solely looking for a mudding set up or dessert racer/ rock climber. This will be my primary vehicle as well. In short I would like a lighter more personalized version of a Ford Raptor (obvious without spending the money on just a name and not ending up with too heavy of a truck)
    Roughly 8k to spend on aftermarket add on’s.
    Questions
    - 3 inch lift with 33 inch tires or 6 inch with 35 (is 4 inch good for anything?) performance /gas mileage are my priorities (looks are important but not essential)
    - What is best brand for lift kit, I heard Rough country used to be trash but is now pretty good. But everyone speaks highly of pro comp.
    - Is the supercharge worth the money, to get the extra HP?
    - Brush guard vs. bumper.
    - Is a wench worth the money?
    - What’s the biggest tire you can fit under the bed, so you still have a correct spare
    Thank you for your time.

2. Feb 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would get the 3" with 33's if you want to lean towards a desert racer or 3" with 35's if you want to lean towards a crawler/mudder. You can still fit a 33" tire under the bed with some hacking.

I would go with an OME lift in the 3" category. I am running OME 886 coils on 5100's up front and Light Racing UCA's and my front end rides pretty smooth in the dunes actually:D Not like an LT kit would but LT would wreck your budget...
    4"+ lifts are all drop bracket lifts and they don't gain you any ground clearance or improvement in ride since they just move the factory parts lower. I'm still running factory leafs in the rear with an add a leaf which is holding me back. Not sure which basic leaf packs work better in the desert yet, unless you go to a Spring Under kit from defined engineering or Giant Motorsports. Those may not be ideal for crawling though but should still be manageable.

The super charger probably isn't worth the money in your case since you are looking at at least $4000 just to buy it, so there goes half your budget...

BUMPER! Brush guard will offer minimal protection and will just take away from your ground clearance and approach angle.

Winch can be a life saver if you plan on wheeling in lots of mud and snow by yourself. Up to you though.

Hope this at least gives you a start. If you have anymore specific questions ask away:D

Products Discussed in

To Top