||03-12-2013 12:56 AM
Barstow to Vegas
Alright guys. I've been thinking about setting up a trek from Barstow to Primm (state line) for a while now, keeping off the highway for a fun filled weekend adventure. Finally got around to planning a route via google earth, and it seems to be pretty straight forward as far as getting there. About 130 ish miles through the desert.
What I'm looking for here:
Who all is interested in joining on the adventure.
Dates: We will meet up in Barstow the morning of Saturday April 20th (at a denny's or something and grab some grub). Drive through the desert to state line and pop out on the highway for the last 30 miles into Vegas. Stay the night and return on Sunday the 21st.
Rig Requirements/ Suggestions:
I've never been on these trails before, so... discretion is advised as far as what you may need on your truck. What to bring with you in your rig.
- 4x4 Don't think it will be necessary, but it can't hurt. From what I know about the area from looking at satellite pics and growing up riding dirt bikes in the surrounding desert, it shouldn't be necessary. The route I'm planning on seems pretty simple, though I did try to make it interesting by going through a few passes where 4x4 may make things easier on you.
- Extra fuel. I know I will be bringing at least 10gal of spare fuel, just in case. Like I said, I've never done this before, and you can't be over prepared.
-CB radio or some other sort of communication system so we can keep in contact between vehicles.
- Sleeping Bag. I'm gonna bring one just in case. You never know what can happen out on the trail, and I don't plan on leaving anyone behind. That being said. I'm not responsible for anything that happens while out there.
- Food/ Drinks. Along with your sleeping bag as far as the in case sh*t happens part of the day, it may come in handy to have some waters/ gatorades, as well as something to snack on.
- Recovery Gear. Depending on whether or not my buddy is going to drive his 4 runner or not. He will either have a hi-lift and tow straps, or we will throw them in my rig. If you got it, bring it just in case.
Once a date/ weekend is decided upon, my plan is to meet up in Barstow that Saturday morning and caravan a few miles on the highway to the Yermo exit where the trail starts. From there we don't touch the pavement until state line (Primm), roughly 130 miles away. Based on my previous experience, riding a dirtbike 160 miles from barstow to laughlin, which took us about 4-5 hrs, I would imagine the journey will take about the same amount of time.
We arrive at state line Saturday afternoon, hop on the highway for the last 30 miles into Vegas, hang out/ drink/ gamble/ have a good time, and spend the night.
Sunday morning, we meet back up and begin the return trip. I plan on returning the same route that we came, unless I can find an alternate/ better/ different route worth taking, back through the desert to barstow. Those that have had enough are more than welcome to hop on the highway the whole way, but that's not my plan.
The Route: After doing my own research and talking to a few people, I've got a general route planned.
We will exit the 15 in Yermo at the Minneola exit and depart along Powerline Rd on the north side of the freeway. Basically we will follow that the entire way until we drop into Primm. There is a section on google maps that says the trail doesn't connect at 2 points, but we will be able to make it through if you take a closer look.
And That's It. Like I said, the date is up for discussion, just want to do it before its too hot, and my suggestion is sometime in April/ early May.
Add your name to the list :D