1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recovery Question

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by hakabo, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Mar 13, 2013 at 6:47 PM
    hakabo

hakabo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    anyone use static rope for recovery? i was searching online and found some that is rated to a little over 10,000lbs for like $1.31/ft that can be purchased by the foot. My winch is currently the 60in Hi Lift and there are times it would be nice to be able to tie off from a specific distance, and my 20ft tow straps are hard to get in shorter distances. i have searched for chain, but to get it heavy enough seems super expensive, and i dont really plan to spend the money on a winch. if not the rope, any other suggestions for winching out? i know it needs to be strong, but i dont know that i need something rated for 30,000lbs like i have seen on some recovery straps

2. Mar 13, 2013 at 9:34 PM
    logcabinwc

logcabinwc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Micah
    SF East Bay
    Vehicle:
    08 4d 4x4 White V6 TRD
    Old Man Emu 885s with Nitrocharged 90000, Bilstein 5100 in the back with AllPro 3 spring progressive AAL, 16 inch Baja Black 6-spoke alloy wheels, Flow Master exhaust, bed lights, Pioneer HD radio, Uniden CB Radio, K&N Air filter, BAMF Sliders w/kickout, Relentless Aluminum IFS Skid, 24 LED light bar, custom/homebuilt expedition style bed rack and basket combo, and Body Armor rear plate bumper.
    My buddy (92Shawman) got a winch and then replaced the cable with a synthetic line. I then took the cable and made a loop to the end that was closest to the winch, and now he has twice the winching distance, plus a static tow line. We just throw the wire line into the bed of the truck when we go wheeling

Warning: I used to work on cable courses and know how to use properly rated saddle bolts and wire ties to loop the loose end. DON'T just try and tie a not or something cause that will cause some seriously BAD shit to go down....

3. Mar 13, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    I've got the same arb winch extension. Saved my ass a few times. And I also carry 100' winch cable for emergencies.

I reccomend the arb strap for sure.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  4. Mar 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Don't cheap out on recovery gear......

10,000lbs is not enough strength....and you gotta make sure its for 'recovery' of vehicles. There's a lot of 'static' rope out there and a lot of it is used for climbing gear. You've gotta know the difference.

I'd highly recommend a good quality tow strap. I've always had good luck and success with Keeper "Stretch n Snatch"

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 4:38 AM
    hakabo

hakabo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Concord, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 urban runner 4x4
    Anyone got a link to the arb line y'all mentioned?

6. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:57 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
  7. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    SoutheastOverland

SoutheastOverland Lost in the Woods

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Seneca, SC
    Vehicle:
    2007 FJ Cruiser
    Metal-Tech sliders, front and rear bumpers, Warn M8000 winch with Southeast Overland Amsteel Blue winch line, Mombasa RTT and awning, BajaRack Expo Rack, Hella lights, custom storage, PowerTank
    Recovery products, including tow straps, are often rated to 30k and 40k lbs to build in a safety factor to help keep you and others safe. Even static tow lines can be dynamically weighted (even if you don't mean to) and that can increase the load on the line 2x, 3x, or even more.

Rope would have to be spliced. Using a knot will significantly degrade the strength of the line. Plan on a 20-50% degradation in strength, and don't plan on getting the knot out after it is loaded.

We make synthetic winch line extensions in any length and diameters from 3/16" up to 7/16". We often make them in 50' and 100' lengths. You can shorten a synthetic winch line extension or a strap in the field without using a knot if you have a receiver pin, or much more preferred a rolled up magazine. Southeast Overland is developing a product specifically to be used for shortening lines in the field.

Products Discussed in

To Top