1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Top Gear Route CA. to Vegas Route?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 2wheelnut, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
    2wheelnut

2wheelnut [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vallejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 S/C K.I.S.S. "Factory Enhanced" DC TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger, TRD First Gen CAI, TRD FJ Alloy, Toyo OC A/T II 265/75/16, 5100's Front and Rear, OME 885x with 1/4 taco lean spacer, Toytec AAL 1.5" non TSB. TSB not done. WheatherTech Side Window Deflector, Satoshi Grill, T Rex Eyelids, Matt123 Skid Black stamped, Modded Maglite with Maglite mod for driver seat, Bed extender. Full debadging
    Does anyone know the exact route either show (US or British) took? I've searched everywhere and best I could find was that the starting point was Ballarat CA. for the US Top Gear...

All I saw was some rock, then trail then dunes...

If someone has took it please let me know. I'm planning on heading out that way. Thanks in advance!

2. Apr 4, 2013 at 10:54 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    I havent seen the episodes, but Powerline road is popular. And there are several trails do-able closer to the highway as well but not as clean as powerline.

3. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    2wheelnut

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vallejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD First Gen CAI, TRD FJ Alloy, Toyo OC A/T II 265/75/16, 5100's Front and Rear, OME 885x with 1/4 taco lean spacer, Toytec AAL 1.5" non TSB. TSB not done. WheatherTech Side Window Deflector, Satoshi Grill, T Rex Eyelids, Matt123 Skid Black stamped, Modded Maglite with Maglite mod for driver seat, Bed extender. Full debadging
    Just looked it up, seems like that's not the one. Top Gear US mentions about 400 miles of nothing but off road.

May just need to get the flu for a week and get lost out there :tumbleweed:

4. Apr 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I can almost guarantee the show was filmed at several locations in Ca, Az and Nv most of which were not between Vegas and SoCal.

5. Apr 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    If they staretd in Ballarat, they probably went thru Beatty, NV after passing thru Death Valley? Just a guess tho. From Beatty to Vegas I'm sure theres a whole lot of trails to choose from, I just dont personally know them.

IIRC power line road and most of the other common off road routs from So Cal to Vegas are on the east side of the 15.

BJ Baldwin's rout in Recoil looked like fun, but I dont think I could keep up with that...

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. Apr 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    tostidos

tostidos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Apple Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 6spd
    The east side of the 15 is all Mojave National Preserve territory, I believe powerline road is a few miles west of the 15... Could be wrong but i've been thru the mojave a bunch of times and almost certain its on the west side.

7. Apr 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ West Valley
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Taco
    OME Lift, Stubbs Sliders, Truxedo cover, Pioneer Avic deck, speakers/amp etc., Black badges.
    They definitely climbed up out of Panamint Valley from Ballarat. Most trails end up entering Death Valley National Park, but I don't recall a descending route eastward. We looped back west and back down to Ballarat.

8. Apr 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    I'm sure you're right. I've never done powerline road, I just assumed it was on the east side. I've spent some time in the Mojave National Preserve and in Death Valley, just not much in between.

Either way, if someone ever figures out this 400 mile journey, I'm interested in it for sure!

9. Apr 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
    2wheelnut

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Vallejo, CA
    Vehicle:
    Looks like they ended up in dunes at that point? Not sure, but am gearing up for this for summer...

Products Discussed in

To Top