Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Off-Roading & Trails (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/)
-   -   Why the hate for Rugged "Fails" (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/273929-why-hate-rugged-fails.html)

digitaLbraVo 04-18-2013 11:58 PM

Why the hate for Rugged "Fails"

So what's up with all the "rugged fail" hate 'round here. I mean I haven't tried otherwise so I'm not gonna act like I am an authority on the matter, but I do not understand the hate? So far they've handled every bit of offroading I've tossed their way and then some, succumbing only to some very sandy/muddy mixture that I'm fairly sure even mud tires would have had difficulty with.

tl;dr why don't you like the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail tires?

95 taco 04-19-2013 12:01 AM

i have no experience with them, so i don't have a opinion, but from what i've read they wear fairly fast vs a comparable tire, and they don't grip as well as other A/T tires.

digitaLbraVo 04-19-2013 12:12 AM

Interesting. I wonder if anyone can back that up with actual personal experience? Like miles on two sets of tires to compare or any proof of non-placebo performance on the trail.

OZ-T 04-19-2013 12:16 AM

It's because Trail rhymes with Fail making Rugged Fails easy to remember as a catchy phrase to be repeated similar to stealership

digitaLbraVo 04-19-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6764753)
It's because Trail rhymes with Fail making Rugged Fails easy to remember as a catchy phrase to be repeated similar to stealership

Well I caught that one for sure I just cannot find where the ground is underneath these claims that the tires are inherently bad.

jbmccul 04-19-2013 12:23 AM

I had a set on my old xterra. They don't clean out at all. The center tread is an all-terrain type tread but the outside doesn't have the cuts necessary to clear out mud.

OZ-T 04-19-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbmccul (Post 6764783)
I had a set on my old xterra. They don't clean out at all. The center tread is an all-terrain type tread but the outside doesn't have the cuts necessary to clear out mud.

That's the problem with the Dunflops too

Lol

Findus11 04-19-2013 12:24 AM

They suck. I popped two rugged fails. At the same time. On the same rock haha. Low ply count, shitty grip in sand and mud, and their tendency to hydroplane actually gave me a grin when I saw 2 out of 4 flat tires on my truck.

VanCity4x 04-19-2013 12:28 AM

Decent for street/highway ware. Ok for light duty ofroad, better then highway tires. Ive run them offroad and torn chunks and riped the tread pretty bad. They shread up very easly on rock/gravel and have far less traction than AT tires. Wet road and snow traction is poor. Dont grip the road or trail very well.

If you offroad at all id advise against these, AT is way better, and if you dont offroad a highway tire would probably suit you better.

jbmccul 04-19-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6764786)
That's the problem with the Dunflops too

Lol

I'm not a big fan of those either. But I have wheeled them

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...26870568_n.jpg

digitaLbraVo 04-19-2013 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanCity4x (Post 6764798)
Decent for street/highway ware. Ok for light duty ofroad, better then highway tires. Ive run them offroad and torn chunks and riped the tread pretty bad. They shread up very easly on rock/gravel and have far less traction than AT tires. Wet road and snow traction is poor. Dont grip the road or trail very well.

If you offroad at all id advise against these, AT is way better, and if you dont offroad a highway tire would probably suit you better.

Well I know when they're at the end of their rope I'll be going with something that isn't the same tire, this I've decided. I just know so far? The only time they were fully out matched was on a steep hill with mud that was slick as ice.

Otherwise? I stick to the ground and have made it up some pretty steep, albeit dry, hills.

jbmccul 04-19-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaLbraVo (Post 6764817)
Well I know when they're at the end of their rope I'll be going with something that isn't the same tire, this I've decided. I just know so far? The only time they were fully out matched was on a steep hill with mud that was slick as ice.

Otherwise? I stick to the ground and have made it up some pretty steep, albeit dry, hills.

This is the only environment where the rugged fails are "Successful"

digitaLbraVo 04-19-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbmccul (Post 6764832)
This is the only environment where the rugged fails are "Successful"

Yeah I could see that. In other news: the suggested reading based on title at the bottom has brought up interesting threads I hadn't seen before.

roadking1 04-19-2013 01:09 AM

I thought the Rugged Trails were okay,until I reached 30,000 miles.Started hydroplaning. The tires were at the wear marks. I am very happy with my Cooper Discoverer H/T tires now.

Konaborne 04-19-2013 01:11 AM

going up a slight incline, slightly moist asphault
tires spinning
tires spinning

going through light dirt around the coffee farm
tires spinning
tires spinning
4wd
tires spinning
tires spinning

on the rocks
tires spinning
tires spinning

Konaborne 04-19-2013 01:12 AM

1sthand experience, they suck.

Warputer 04-19-2013 01:13 AM

Hell, my Rugged Trails got me stuck in the front yard, on wet grass.:rolleyes:

jbmccul 04-19-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warputer (Post 6764909)
Hell, my Rugged Trails got me stuck in the front yard, on wet grass.:rolleyes:

My Dunlops did that to me :anon:

Crom 04-19-2013 10:41 AM

The terrain you wheel in makes a difference. I wheeled mine for 20K miles on mostly dry rocky trails in California and Nevada and not had any problems. In fact I never even aired them down--not once!

mikebuyscars 04-19-2013 07:44 PM

i know I will never again put anything under my truck that says BFG. I am running Cooper AT3 right now, so far so good