1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dirt road tour of the Sierras at the beginning of June.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Gaston, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Jan 29, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Gaston

Gaston [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    BSL, MS
    Vehicle:
    4x4 6MT
    I'm planning an Eastern Sierra road trip...Basically a Hwy 395 from Mt Whitney to Lake Tahoe trip with as many dirt roads along the way as possible. This map, when zoomed into the full page view, shows them well.
    http://www.imusgeographics.com/smartlist_73/sierra-nevada-map
    I haven't really decided on the full route since I've just ordered the map and we're going to have to piece together lodging along the way. Not planning on camping overnight, so it'll either be a few 2-3 night stays and exploring during the day, or a string of places along the way.

I'm asking for advice on route quality, should I expect the double lined 'dirt' roads on that map to be quality enough that I could navigate them with my stock 4x Tacoma? Should I get a recovery kit to either be pulled out or have the ability to pull someone else out? I don't plan on attempting anything hairball, I'll have the wife and 8 yr old son with me.

I'd like to stow some basic tools or recovery gear in a box on my roof rack. I see some nicely priced military versions on ebay, but I'm not sure how to mount them outside of tie down straps which would suck. Think an extra spare tire is worthwhile?

I'm going back and forth over a supertop and softopper, but the bestop is winning right now for a few reasons. Main purpose is too keep our gear dryish and out of sight. I'd like to install some bed lights as well. I've read every single thread on here related to the former, and just digging into the DIY bed light installs. Advice on those would be great.

As far as route goes, I'm thinking about getting up to the Mammoth area before really exploring the dirt roads. From there to Lake Tahoe we'll research each little town to see if there are lodging options...then put together a plan. We can't really afford to not have a place to stay even though we'll have a tent and camping gear. Thinking about going West out of Yosemite and heading up that way if it would be more interesting...

Crappy stock tires and rack...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd appreciate any advice...gems along the way, gear to acquire for piece of mind...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top