1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gold Rush Toyota Hilux flooded, making me mad

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by toyota4wd, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Feb 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM
    toyota4wd

toyota4wd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    OME 887s Dakar Leafs, SPC UCAs, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Kenwood touchscreen, diff breather mod, Magnaflow 22in. muffler, AFE Pro dry S air filter, secondary charcoal filter delete. Soon to come Warn M8000 winch on a a Westin winch trey, full retros with demon eyes
    So I happened to see some of the gold rush guys, now in South America on TV. I don't really follow them but this episode left me wondering. They've got a Toyota Hilux diesel, and a guy jumped in it to take off and get some parts. Long story short he sinks it in a flooded creek, the front emblem was almost underwater. After getting it pulled out and going on about how the electronics will be ruined if it stays in there too long, they call down the mechanic. The whole engine was full of water, oil level higher, soaking wet air cleaner, I guess they didn't have a snorkel. The mechanic looks at the watery oil and the wet air filter(at least thats all they showed on camera)
    and called it done for. They towed it back to base. They were calling the engine basically a lost cause and ruined. But really??? I mean pop out the glow plugs spin it over and get the water out, change the oil and let the whole thing dry out, see if there's water in the fuel system, and deal with that but the engines certainly not toast. What do you guys think? He shut it off before the pistons actually tried to compress any water... why would it even be phazed after a good fluid flush and every thing like that... those engines are indestructible. I guess they probably did it all for the camera and probably got it running again..:cool:

2. Feb 18, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    Guerrilla

Guerrilla L(.)(.)K@G(.)(.)Dz

Member:
    First Name:
    D. Cooley
    Coast to Coast
    Vehicle:
    El' Black 13 DCSB 4x4
    Stuff
    TV drama, The End.

Products Discussed in