1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

STOP THE 2010 DESERT BILL.. read more and sign

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by dune boy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM
    dune boy

dune boy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    blacked out lights, emblems, K&N, Racerunner coilovers, 33 bfg,
  2. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    always tryin to shut stuff down!

3. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    dune boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    yup and if we dont do something about it.. were just going to watch it happen.. and there will be to much RED TAPE and it will never be open for us to enjoy..

4. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    #1159......I should be glad they are trying to expand URE

5. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Did anyone read this before signing????

6. Mar 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    i did...trying to use already allocated land for monuments/parks....

7. Mar 30, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    dune boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    yea,.. they are taking land from public use and tieing it up for no use.. plus its from Feinstein and Pelosi.. really.. nothing good comes from them..

8. Mar 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    Maybe this should be edited to anyone with an attention span of more than 30 seconds. Mine barely lasts that long, but this bill doesn't look so bad. Maintaining all existing off-road trails, creating or maintaining several designated OHV areas, and creating wilderness areas from donated private land (as in land we don't have access to any way).

I'm not signing this petition. I like that it will protect some seriously awesome swaths of land from development and that I'll be able to bring my kids to the Mojave for the same experiences I've had.

9. Mar 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM
    dune boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner

yes but when has Feinstein ever done something good for the ohv comunitee? she would not be making this bill unless she was gaining something on the back side.. "SMELT" one example of her crazyness..
    and she is known for taking land and locking it up so no body will be able to use it EVER.. just something to think about..

Subject: S2921 - Cal4wdc Position

From Cal 4 Wheel:

S2921 The California Desert Protection Act of 2010 ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___ ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ The California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs, Inc. is the largest 4WD organization in the state of California representing over 8,000 family members. CA4WDC works to maintain access to public lands and promotes responsible use of those lands. CA4WDC is based in Sacramento and has three districts to serve the state. CA4WDC was founded in 1959 and has over 50 years of service to the OHV community. 8120 36th Avenue Sacramento, CA 95824-2304 (800) 4x4-Funn www.cal4wheel. com

Issue:

If enacted the California Desert Protection Act of 2010 (S2921) will:

• Create the Mojave Trails National Monument containing ~941,000 acres.

• Create the Sand to Snow National Monument containing ~134,000 acres.

• Set aside a minimum of 200,000 acres as "mitigation lands" to provide for alternative energy projects. This will likely exclude recreation in these areas.

• Add ~90,000 acres to Death Valley National Park

• Create new wilderness areas totaling ~300,000 acres in BLM, USFS, and NPS managed Lands

• NOT protect Johnson Valley from the Marine Corps expansion.

This bill WILL have an adverse effect on recreation opportunities and public access in California. Access for mining, recreation, and other uses will be curtailed. While not yet fully understood, it is believed that at least 400 miles of roads in the new wilderness areas and monuments will be closed.

Supporters of the bill state that Rasor OHV Area, Stoddard Wells OHV Area, El Mirage OHV Area, Spangler Hills OHV Area, and a portion of the Johnson Valley OHV Area are all slated to receive a congressional designation as OHV areas. It can be argued as to what this means as these areas are already OHV areas, and there is no guarantee that they will remain open and unaffected. There is also no compensation for the areas that will be closed.

CA4WDC Position:

The California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs is OPPOSED to S2921 in its present form. We oppose legislation that restricts the public’s access to public lands. We oppose the creation of new wilderness areas and National Monuments that withdraw lands from public access and close existing routes. We oppose the creation of new wilderness areas that do not meet the standards of the Wilderness Act of 1964, which established the National Wilderness Preservation System. We also oppose legislation that attempts to indiscriminately close any area or route of travel without verification of the economic impact to the area.

10. Mar 30, 2010 at 11:51 PM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    This is good information. But just because CA4WDC opposes it doesn't mean I will. I understand their mission and generally support it - I don't want to see trails closed either. After reading the bill, though, I don't see where existing trails will be closed. In fact, I read that existing trails will remain open.

4 wheeling is a hell of a sport and an extreme one at times. Unfortunately, it can also take a hell of a toll on the land. So, if some land, especially land that is currently private, is going to be set aside and mechanized access restricted, I'm okay with that. The bill doesn't prevent all access. I'll just visit those areas on foot.

11. Mar 31, 2010 at 12:06 AM
    dune boy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner
    i agree with you, land should be set aside, the only prob is that i have seen this time and time again.. once they make something a national monument how many people can ride there? not sure if you are aware of whats going on in GLAMIS ca, but it sure feels like there are headed that way.. closing everything.. same with pismo dunes... same with dumont dunes, or sand mountian in NV, most of the riding area is geting closed..

they can closes it for the BS reason yet once its close i hope you have good legs to walk around and see the beauty of it.. some times enough is enough.. right..

utah.. isnt something like 80 of the sate is owned by the govt?

save a tree or a sand dune and put a fence around it ... hahaha

12. Mar 31, 2010 at 12:20 AM
    Country

Country Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Country
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl.-Everyone says it looks like a tank
    Pro Comp 6in lift w/ Icon Coilovers,AllPro UCA's, AllPro Baja Leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's in the rear. Tires Mickey Thompson MTZ 275/70R18 w/ procomp 7089 wheels. ARB front bumper with mile marker winch, Custom made all quarter inch steel rear bumper. Demello rock crusher slider's. CoverKing neoprene seat cover's, AllPro trail armor All-pro U-bolt flip kit with Timbren bump stops and many many many other mods, way to many to list.
    Thats California for ya, This state suxs, so much communism here, I love Texas

13. Mar 31, 2010 at 12:22 AM
    Bones308

Bones308 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Casper, WY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
    2006 Tacoma Double cab TRD V6 4x4 K&N air filter, Flowmaster exhaust 285/75/16 Tires yes its a 6 SPEED!!!
    Wow this bill is bad news! I will vote no....but im not surprised that they are attempting to pass this crap, this government will take everything we have untill we no longer recognise America, even our land so we have nowhere to escape to and enjoy the beauty the outdoors has to offer. The healthcare bill was the beginning and quintessential key turning point they needed, its all downhill from here. Mark my words, by 2012 we will no longer recognise this country as it once was....

Products Discussed in

To Top