1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Arches Back Roads

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by dogbite, May 16, 2010.

1. May 16, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    dogbite

dogbite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    There are a few dirt roads in Arches National Park. Generally quite passable roads too.

Of interest to this forum would be the Klondike Bluffs road. The North end of the road climbs up and over the Arches Anticline in some scenic country. While a stock SUV can theoretically drive it, most would scrape somewhere along the way. And it's gotten rougher over the years in my opinion.

I was disappointed in my pictures. Didn't really show the obstacles involved but here ya go.

From the top of the Anticline back down the road.
    [​IMG]

Some more of the climb:
    [​IMG]

Coming down the Anticline:
    [​IMG]

Some shots of the Klondike Bluffs and the Marching Men
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a sandy spur that takes to you to Turret Arch

[​IMG]

And continuing south have mostly easy drving including some dry wash and plenty of deep sand.

[​IMG]

Near the South end of the road is Eye of the Whale Arch. The back side is what looks like the whale, but I only shot the front this trip.

[​IMG]

At the bottom of the descent to the Eye of the Whale part of the road are signs warning the hill is impassable uphill in the summer as the sand is too dry and too deep, so the preferred direction is north to south so you can come down this hill. There were some Jeeps and a truck that had come uphill apparently that we met around the spur road to Turret Arch. I don't think they went over the anti cline road though.

2. May 19, 2010 at 4:27 PM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Great pics! I miss Moab, it been almost a year and time to go back. Have you taken Willow Springs into Arches yet? There are some really neat dinosaur tracks in the rock at a spot on the trail.

3. May 19, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That's awesome photos right there. I need to get out that way...

4. May 19, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    dogbite

dogbite [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '10 double cab TRD OR
    OME lift, Leer shell, Beefed sliders, Extra 12V outlets for rear bench
    We drove out on the Willow Springs road. That's the original entrance road to the park.

5. May 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    MattN03

MattN03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bluegrass State
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 07 DC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    20% window tint, beep mod, hardwired V1, TSB springs, AVS Bugshield-21803, USA Spec PA15, OEM Tacoma scuff plates, Weathertech mats, Truxedo LoPro, TRD skid, GY Duratrac's 265/75/16 C Range, locker mod (switch method)
    Great pics!

Products Discussed in

To Top