1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Let's talk recovery

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Mxpatriot, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Jun 8, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Tips, tricks, stories, or gear.

I know some of us here have been stuck a time or two (or ten) and have learned some things that could benefit others.

I think it would be helpful if we had one thread where we had consolidated information for everyone to read, learn, and contribute to.

2. Jun 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    Mxpatriot

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    I'll start us off with a little discussion on solo vehicle recovery (i.e. you're stuck, and alone).

The absolute first thing you need to do is make a phone call to someone you can trust, if you have cell phone reception. Doesn't matter if you KNOW you'll have yourself out in 20 minutes, make that call now, before you dig in your pocket only to find your cell phone dead or KIA from mud. Let them know where you are, what is happening, who's with you, if they can be off assistance, and what time you will call them next. Set a time of "if you don't hear from me by ______, call _______".

Now you need to you assess the situation, the tools you have available, and the tools you can gather from your environment.

Let's take stuck in the mud as an example. You have two options at this point - increase traction to the point you can get out or provide movement without traction.

Methods of increasing traction/reducing resistance to forward movement:

- Air down tires to 8-10 PSI in order to increase the surface area of the contact between the tire and the dirt.

- Clear mud, sand, rocks, etc. from contact with the underside of the vehicle. This is quite often the most overlooked part because it can be the most strenuous.

- Place rocks/tree branches/floor mats or anything else that offers better traction then what you're currently on in front of and/or underneath the tire. This is where a hi lift jack comes in very handy - lift the tires off the ground and pile rocks underneath it. Pave yourself a path to freedom.

- Ensure there is nothing in front of the wheels to impede movement. This is especially important in sand - you need to dig out the sand from in front of the wheels for at least 6-10 feet so you can back on top of the sand and keep momentum. When driving in sand, you're essentially always driving uphill. The tire pushes a small berm of sand in front of - essentially providing you your own constant little 2'' high hill. You need to get rid of this in order to get out.

- Improve the quality of the surface - add dry sand or dirt, if available, to mud.

Methods of providing forward momentum without traction:
    - Winching

- Come-along

- Hi lift jack used as a come along (more on this to follow)

- People power (pushing)

These are listed in the order of preference. All but the last option requires an anchor (tree, etc.). See the following post on anchor selection and employment.

Once you've determined what your best course of action is, you need to execute it in a safe and efficient manner. Do not injure or dehydrate yourself flinging about like a mad man. You're going to get your truck out eventually - just calm down. Most anytime you are stuck is going to involve digging - do not be cheap on the digging! If you don't dig enough before trying to get out, you're going to ruin a lot of your work as soon as you spin your wheels and sink even deeper.

I cannot emphasize how important using the environment to your advantage is when stuck alone. Rocks are your friend.

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    Mxpatriot

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Anchor-selection and anchor based recovery methods:

There are two methods of recovery that involve the use of an anchor - winching and manual winching via a come-along or hi lift. In all of these methods, precaution for cable snapping and/or anchor failure should be taken. Use a heavy jacket or blanket to dampen the cable should it snap. Never put a warm, fleshy part of your body near a cable, anchor point, or between the vehicles more than necessary. Use every foot of your winch controller's cord to get yourself away from the danger area.

Anchors come in many forms - other vehicles, trees, rocks, man-made objects, and purpose built anchors (such as the pull-pal).

When using another vehicle, ensure that you're using a quality recovery point(s). When using natural or man made objects, you need to take in to consideration what will happen if the anchor fails. If you snap a telephone pole or bring down a live power line, you're going to be in a world of crap...

You can reduce the chances of this happening by having equalized and redundant anchors. This is a principle best explained by rock climbers. Here's a link to a pretty clear explanation of how to build an equalized and redundant anchor. http://www.uoregon.edu/~opp/climbing/topics/anchors.html

Using a snatch block will reduce the amount of strain on your winch and allow you to pull out heavier loads.

A come-along can often be helpful, even if you have a winch, to pull from directions that your winch cannot. Come-alongs can be used to stabilize an off camber vehicle or move a vehicle laterally.

A hi-lift winch can also be used as a come along. This article explains it well http://www.offroadadventures.com/articles/view/id/347

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    Mxpatriot

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    How to equip yourself to recover your vehicle for about a hundred to two hundred bucks. Look at this way - $200 may seem like a lot if you don't think you're ever going to get stuck, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a tow truck!

Obviously more is better when it comes to recovery gear, but the following items will give you a lot of options in getting yourself out.

42'' or larger Hi-Lift (or competing brand) jack: $60-80.

Hi-lift base for use in soft soil (purchased or otherwise improvised): $0-30

Hi-lift mount (can't have a 25 pound piece of metal flopping around): $5-25

30' recovery strap: $25-40

Two D-rings: $15-20

Shovel: $10-30

Short length of heavy duty chain: $10-30

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    I don't think I have ever used a place holder to get unstuck. But I have used a number of times: Winch, Block, Shovel, and Recovery Strap.

6. Jun 9, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    06rubi

06rubi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenney
    Pueblo West, CO
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM (wife's truck)
    Debadged, tinted windows, 7 pin relocated, bed lights, 12 volt socket in bed of truck, on board air, auxiliary fuse box, grill craft, hella 500's, t-rex eyelids, pink budbuilt skids, icon remote resi coil over, camburg uca, alcan rear springs, ubolt flip, icon 2.5 remote rear resi shocks
    Don't forget a tree saver for when you winch or use a come-along/highlift.

7. Jun 9, 2010 at 2:41 AM
    taco084gb

taco084gb No matter where you go there you are.

Member:
    First Name:
    Galen
    NorCal
    Always let someone know where you are going. Might seem silly at the time but may save you ass at some point. If no one knows where you are then you are not lost and no one will look for you. And always carry extra gear. Jacket, food, water, energy drinks, flashlight, matches, lighter, cell phone(charged), knife, and preferably a map where you are offroading. This helps if something happens and you need to tell someone where you are to be found.

8. Jun 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
    All good advice so far.
    I will add a little.
    all straps are not recovery straps.
    some are towing straps and some are snatch straps.

Towing straps (usually yellow)are made for what the name says....towing.They aren't made for sudden impacts. They are for towing or pulling another vehicle.
    examples: stuck on a rock; sugar sand; broke down

Towing Strap:
    [​IMG]

Snatch/Recovery straps are for yanking a truck out of something (mud, sand, etc.) They are somewhat elastic so they absorbe the impact of a good yank to free a stuck vehicle.
    example: deep mud

Snatch Strap:
    [​IMG]

Snatch straps can be used for towing.
    Towing shouldn't be used for snatching. (notice I didn't say can't)

I have seen towing straps(the loop, not stitching) snap when being used as snatch straps. Ive also experienced the truck coming to a stop like it was hitting a brick wall. It sucks.... trust me. I cant help but to think this hurts the truck.

9. Jun 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    rhodehard09

rhodehard09 sometimes nonsense is the only sense someone has

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    tampa, fl
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road 4x4 doublecab
    3" lift, allpro u-bolt flip kit,285/75/16 km2s, hella hid lights, hid conversions for headlights and foglights, led everything, debadged, 9145 reverse light bulbs, black tail lights, black headlight mod,trail-gear rock sliders, dynomax ultra flo muffler,satoshi with custom woven stainless grill,hella 100watt floods in grill, pioneer 4100 in dash dvd player, pioneer 800watt 4 channel amp, pioneer 4way 6x9s, pioneer 4 way 6.5s, 2 rockford p3 10's,rockford power 500.1 mono amp w/bass knob, 7 pin relocated, highlift and mount in bed, diff breather mod, led bed lights, secondary air filter removed,t-rex eyelids, mefab bumper bar, muddy under carriage
  10. Jun 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    badboyrr

badboyrr Well-Known Member

Member:
    spring branch TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    matching topper, rear air bags
    Back in the day, my brother and I owned a 74 Chevy Blazer 4x4. One Saturday night we went crusin by one of the places people go off-road. As we drove by, someone guy came walking towards us as we drove. We stopped, he said his Ford p-u was stuck in the ditch. So there went to help with recovery, it's about 10:30 at night and we have our girl friends with us. Cut to the chase....we got stuck, tore a hole in one of our fenders and did not have a chain or strap. Ended up getting friend out of bed with a come-along in tow. We learned always be prepared and always let someone know where your going. Cell phones were not heard of at the time. Man that sucked!:mad:

11. Dec 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 SR5 V6 Off Road
    Lift,Winch,Shell,Light Bar,Siren,Radio's
  12. Jan 22, 2011 at 12:57 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    Winch, Snatch Block & Ground Anchor.:D[​IMG]

13. Jan 22, 2011 at 1:57 AM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    :confused:
    is that a pullpal????
    looks like a hi lift ?????

14. Jan 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    i wondered the same thing? what is that crazy contraption? :confused:

15. Jan 22, 2011 at 4:30 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Check this out.
    Recovery

in the thread you will find a link to a document for anchors and guy lines that is pretty in depth. it is the Bible on anchors. definitely download it and put it somewhere in the truck. the parts that seem useful and applicable to you that is...its pretty big for the glove box:) The link is in the anchors and guy lines section of 1st post.

16. Jan 22, 2011 at 5:45 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    :thumbsup: Bookmarked!:cool:

17. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Great Thread Chase, lots of good info !!!...;)

My Dad was stationed at Ft. Leonardwood back in 1951....:cool:

18. Jan 22, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Huge shout out to my bro' GJBONNER !! How ya doing Guy ?? Hows the wife & daughter & that killer fisherman of a son you have ? Move went ok looks like, all is well I hope... having another Santee meet next week, should I add you to the list ?? :D

19. Jan 22, 2011 at 8:16 AM
    gjbonner

gjbonner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Northern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Off Road TRD
    Rhino Lined exterior,Fab Tech 6", 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers, Wheels painted Rustoleum Hammered Black, All Pro front plate bumper, Warn 9.5 ti winch, BHLM, Cig lighter constant on, Door beep toggle switch, Locker mod, Lock/unlock beeper Mod, Rear tailights smoked, 750w inverter with the outlets and on/off switch wired to rear of the console, Blacked out badges, blacked out rear bumper.
    Hahhaa i seen you guys were headed to Santee..pretty jealous! yeah move went great. I am now a nasty civilian:) as of jan 17th. Wife and kids are great. going to turn the little fisherman loose on the mountain lakes and wilderness rivers here. Nice sig pic bro, its always good to hear from you.

20. Jan 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM
    MrFastLayne

MrFastLayne Mr SGA

Member:
    First Name:
    Layne
    Lincoln Ca,
    Vehicle:
    This is a Stinger Ground Anchor. The "SGA" is a ground anchor & a hi lift jack.
    The base can be used as the foot of the jack. Ideal for using the jack in Snow,Sand & Mud.[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top