Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Hiked Mt Whitney July 9-10, 2010 14,497 ft PICS!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Hiked Mt Whitney July 9-10, 2010 14,497 ft PICS!!!

mt whitney is the tallest peak in the cont US.

I went w/ my wife and 4 of our friends.

awesome trip. did the 22 mile hike over 2 days. camped at Trail Camp the first day at 12,000 feet and summited the top on the second. weather was crazy w/ rain and hail, very strong winds and cold temps.

at the top... finally

and back at the bottom

victory beers

Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Never seen Forest Gump
tim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtim920 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
tim920's Tacoma Gallery
^lol.

Nice pictures. I've never really been hiking and looking to start.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Addicted to my DSLR
madisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shedmadisonsfinest is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Patrol Officer
madisonsfinest's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
grizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrizzbear is one of the sharper tools in the shed
grizzbear's Tacoma Gallery
nice pics
Old 07-13-2010, 08:01 AM   #9
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
That looks awesome! I wish I had hiked it when I lived in CA, oh well, the Smokies will have to do
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
Great post!! I've climbed Mt. Rainier a few times (elevation 14,410) and can relate to what you went through. We started for the summit at 1am from the 10,000 ft level on rope teams with crampons & ice axe wearing headlamps and reach the top around 7am, then back down to the Paradise parking lot (around 6,000 ft) at 4 in the afternoon.
Thanks for sharing your pictures...brought back some great memories!!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Nice pics.

I'll be climbing the East Buttress on Whitney in September. Should be fun.

Off to Wyoming next week though to bag some peaks in the Wind River range.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 AM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
What an adventure & awesome pics. Thanks for sharing & its great to see your wife and friends into hiking too. I cannot wait to get back on the trails.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously cool pics. I've driven by Mt. Whitney a few times and admired it from afar, but I've never even considered hiking it. Very impressive.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thanks for all the comments everybody. glad you like the pics
Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's an awesome trip.

How did you like crapping in a bag and hauling it out?

Last year, my girlfriend and I did an 8-day trip starting at Onion Valley / Kearsarge Pass in the north, came down the JMT, and went up Whitney from the back side. It was epic.

Here is the lake just before Kearsarge Pass:

Here is my after-Whitney cheesebuger and beer pic:

Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #17

More pics...

this was a snow and ice bridge, there was nothing under it for prob 40-50 feet. there were holes in the snow you could look through... sketchy

after a full night of rain and hail

coming down from the summit, dead tired going up an up hill part around 14,000 feet

Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Yeah, it's an awesome trip.

How did you like crapping in a bag and hauling it out?

Last year, my girlfriend and I did an 8-day trip starting at Onion Valley / Kearsarge Pass in the north, came down the JMT, and went up Whitney from the back side. It was epic.

Here is the lake just before Kearsarge Pass:

Here is my after-Whitney cheesebuger and beer pic:
taking a dump in the bag didn't bother me too much... the girls on the other hand...haha

i actually used my wag bag on the switch backs, it all of a sudden hit me and i had to go. there were people going down and up and i managed to do the deed in like a minute. i dont think anybody saw, it was pretty ninja. haha

that 8 day trip sounds rad, i really want to do the john muir trail, but it's hard to find the time to set aside 15-17 days of backpacking

that burger and beer at the portal store was delicious, huh?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
taking a dump in the bag didn't bother me too much... the girls on the other hand...haha

i actually used my wag bag on the switch backs, it all of a sudden hit me and i had to go. there were people going down and up and i managed to do the deed in like a minute. i dont think anybody saw, it was pretty ninja. haha

that 8 day trip sounds rad, i really want to do the john muir trail, but it's hard to find the time to set aside 15-17 days of backpacking

that burger and beer at the portal store was delicious, huh?
awesome pics man! I have been trying to get some people together to do that climb.

John muir is an awesome trail. I almost have it all done. little bit at a time since I dont have that much time (or money for all the food needed and supplies)