Notices

Christian or Catholic?

View Poll Results: Christian or Catholic
Christian 65 55.56%
Catholic 52 44.44%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #82
James
jamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamesglynn's Tacoma Gallery
Born again Christian here!!!

To all of you that believe that all Christians act a certain way on Sunday and lead another lifestyle during the remainder of the week, are not being realistic. Being a "true Christian" is a lifestyle witness, not just a way to act one day a week.

It's like this, if I allowed myself to lump all firefighters in the same catagory as one like a met a few years ago, I would not consider calling the fire department if my house caught fire.

I'm not trying to be cute or funny, but I'm concerned about some who think all Christians live their lives the same way, when they do not.

Jesus himself said in the book of Luke (not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven"). This simply means that Jesus knew that there would be those who say they are Christian, but their lifestyle says another.

"I" in no way, put myself above anyone, Christ died for ALL of us, not just a few!

All of you on TW, I consider my friends, no matter what your religious thoughts are.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #83
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
HBMurphy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki View Post
hbmurphy.... I don't understand why you are "saddened by what you think religion is." You seem to think that one cannot be moral unless they are religious. That is the worst kind of nonsense and applying your beliefs upon others.

Just because someone does not believe what you do, it does not make them any less moral, generous, kind, etc.

Religious "leaders" are just like everyone else...some are good, some are not... the measure is not rather or not anyone gives money to the "good ones" or not.

Additionally, you also seem to have a view of government that seems to say that you believe that the government is the end all and be all... i.e. "When you buy a home, do you want a 5% interest loan or a 30% interest rate loan?" why would the government determine if I got a 5% or 30% loan? That is the free market (or at least in US, it is supposed to be).

I do agree with you re the roads and police...they are legitimate roles for the common good and are the things that government should do. However, it starts to sound very anti-democratic to beyond those types of things, as you seem to suggest the government should do. I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Most of your examples do not relate to being religious or not. One can be a perfectly fine, decent, generous...etc. person and NOT believe in religion. If you cannot accept that, you should be VERY concerned.
I am not saying to be moral or any such thing - I am just saying that to blanket a whole group - of if anything I am probably on the fringe - is just that, blanketing due to some reason or another.

Seeing no value to religions of the world is silly. Did I mention morality? I may have hinted to betrayal regarding breaking trust, but I did not mention morality.

You say I am pushing my beliefs - I am just asking if you are saying something like "All gay guys do such and such" - is just wrong I know some gays that act like hetrosexuals. Like all 'organized religions' comments are just a bit to narrow for me. If you are saying I am narrow minded in hatred for everyone based on the actions of a few - then I may be narrow minded. I'm okay with that.

I do not believe in large government. I was just asking the question as it relates to large organizations like 'organized religions' and 'government.' I like some of the benefits but dislike some of the players. I hope I recognize the difference. It is not all black and white although many in the attempt to be right believe that all things have a higher contrast then they really do.

Just on home loans for a minute - that is not a free market. The only reason that we don't pay 20-30% on a loan is because the government set up programs in the 20-30's to keep the masses from renting from the few. These were loan guarantees - partially contributing to our financial issues today.

What did I say that was interpreted as to what the government should do?

The seemingly unrelated blabber about having large groups interact was not unrelated - they were questions that do relate to human behavior and how religious organizations have helped far more than they have hurt.

And if we can just leave on a a high note. The issue of tithing (religious or not) is the concept giving of yourself in a fungible manner to allow it to help others and having the faith that good will come from it. My opinion is that there are many great principles that can be learned from a religious setting if you are open to it.

If you want to hear the hatred, you can hear that. I know I was once in a place where I did just that.

When I was younger I chose to hear that Catholics hated every other religion cause they only believed in their church. I forget how they worded it in each of their services. But I heard what I chose to hear in every service. I now know that was my interpretation and not the people who said it at each service. And the real f'd up thing about my chosen belief at that time was that before I recieved communion in the Catholic church, my mom required me to go to other houses of worship (Baptist, Jewish, and a few others) to teach me that we have to respect others and their beliefs.

I am not saying anyone is bad in this discussion. Sheltered in some of the perspectives. But not bad.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #84
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
I don't know but when I was a kid we called doing donuts in your car/truck "brodies".
good enough for me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #85
Ban Pending
HBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHBMurphy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesglynn View Post
Born again Christian here!!!

To all of you that believe that all Christians act a certain way on Sunday and lead another lifestyle during the remainder of the week, are not being realistic. Being a "true Christian" is a lifestyle witness, not just a way to act one day a week.

It's like this, if I allowed myself to lump all firefighters in the same catagory as one like a met a few years ago, I would not consider calling the fire department if my house caught fire.

I'm not trying to be cute or funny, but I'm concerned about some who think all Christians live their lives the same way, when they do not.

Jesus himself said in the book of Luke (not everyone who says to me "Lord, Lord" will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven"). This simply means that Jesus knew that there would be those who say they are Christian, but their lifestyle says another.

"I" in no way, put myself above anyone, Christ died for ALL of us, not just a few!

All of you on TW, I consider my friends, no matter what your religious thoughts are.
I absolutely love guys like you! It took me a long time not to be afraid of guys like this in some weird way. He is telling me I am wrong - that is what I heard - not what he said.

To me, now, they are saved in many ways! For those that don't get it. I understand and that is okay with me. To others that do - I get inspired by you too!

To be able to know (or at least strive to know) "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" is an amazing position to put your mind in.

For those that think that this is a fairy tale or something like that - well if someone was delusional, and we all are to some extent! , and believed that "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!" wouldn't this world be a better place; Not the meanings that you have associated with people who believe this, but just the thought of someone having confidence that they are given strength and support though the hardships of life!

With that I can truly feel I am blessed. Thank you and good nite!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #86
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmpjmpr View Post
Raised Catholic, but no longer a believer. Its ok to molest little boys but not ok to vote thye way I want too. I strongly believe in seperation of church and state. Really fed up with the few trying to shove their twisted beliefs down my throat and trying to pass laws that fit their agenda.
Was that opinion based upon your 12 years following Mother Teresa while she was working in the slums of India or was that a different experience?

If you were molested by someone. My heart goes out to you. If you are using the molestation thing to support some hate that you have... My heart goes out to you.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #87
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMurphy View Post
Was that opinion based upon your 12 years following Mother Teresa while she was working in the slums of India or was that a different experience?

If you were molested by someone. My heart goes out to you. If you are using the molestation thing to support some hate that you have... My heart goes out to you.
Old woman rape
Old 07-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #89
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I totally agree with the video. I Hate religion
Old 07-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #90
James
jamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamesglynn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamesglynn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capita View Post
I totally agree with the video. I Hate religion
Do you hate religion, or do you really dislike people who claim to be religious?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #91
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Both
Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #93
abenaki is on a distinguished road
abenaki's Tacoma Gallery
'You say I am pushing my beliefs - I am just asking if you are saying something like "All gay guys do such and such" - is just wrong I know some gays that act like hetrosexuals. Like all 'organized religions' comments are just a bit to narrow for me. If you are saying I am narrow minded in hatred for everyone based on the actions of a few - then I may be narrow minded. I'm okay with that."

Where did I say that?... you must be confusing my response with someone elses?

"I do not believe in large government. I was just asking the question as it relates to large organizations like 'organized religions' and 'government.' I like some of the benefits but dislike some of the players. I hope I recognize the difference. It is not all black and white although many in the attempt to be right believe that all things have a higher contrast then they really do."

OK... so no problems there.....seems like you are confusing other responses here.

"Just on home loans for a minute - that is not a free market. The only reason that we don't pay 20-30% on a loan is because the government set up programs in the 20-30's to keep the masses from renting from the few. These were loan guarantees - partially contributing to our financial issues today."

Sorry, but dead wrong there.... Don't know where your MBA training came from but mine did not include anything even similar to this theory. If you want to blame someone for the current mess, talk to Barney Frank et al.

"What did I say that was interpreted as to what the government should do?"

See above...it can easily be read as big government is good. If that is not a correct... I am fine with it as an "observation".

"The seemingly unrelated blabber about having large groups interact was not unrelated"

No idea what you are talking about...

" - they were questions that do relate to human behavior and how religious organizations have helped far more than they have hurt."

Sorry, but is an opinion, not a fact.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM   #94
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by abenaki View Post
'You say I am pushing my beliefs - I am just asking if you are saying something like "All gay guys do such and such" - is just wrong I know some gays that act like hetrosexuals. Like all 'organized religions' comments are just a bit to narrow for me. If you are saying I am narrow minded in hatred for everyone based on the actions of a few - then I may be narrow minded. I'm okay with that."

Where did I say that?... you must be confusing my response with someone elses?

"I do not believe in large government. I was just asking the question as it relates to large organizations like 'organized religions' and 'government.' I like some of the benefits but dislike some of the players. I hope I recognize the difference. It is not all black and white although many in the attempt to be right believe that all things have a higher contrast then they really do."

OK... so no problems there.....seems like you are confusing other responses here.

"Just on home loans for a minute - that is not a free market. The only reason that we don't pay 20-30% on a loan is because the government set up programs in the 20-30's to keep the masses from renting from the few. These were loan guarantees - partially contributing to our financial issues today."

Sorry, but dead wrong there.... Don't know where your MBA training came from but mine did not include anything even similar to this theory. If you want to blame someone for the current mess, talk to Barney Frank et al.

"What did I say that was interpreted as to what the government should do?"

See above...it can easily be read as big government is good. If that is not a correct... I am fine with it as an "observation".

"The seemingly unrelated blabber about having large groups interact was not unrelated"

No idea what you are talking about...

" - they were questions that do relate to human behavior and how religious organizations have helped far more than they have hurt."

Sorry, but is an opinion, not a fact.
Okay I'll take the bait...

You didn't learn about the secondary market for loans and how that all started to 'remedy' the fight in the 20's and 30's between the haves (landlords) and the have-nots (the tenants). Fannie Mae 1938.

This is also why 4 units and under are much cheaper to finance. Ever try to get a loan on commercial property? More than 5 units were considered only affordable to the 'rich.'

Anyway that may have included some study of US History too.

That may have been brought up in my Art History class - sorry if you thought that was part of my MBA curriculum.

Regarding the mortgages, - I was pointing out that their is a reason why we have low rates; Love or hate the government but any home buyer, fraudulent or not have been blessed with the guarantees afforded by the secondary mortgage market. When you have that type of system and then require loans to be made while looking the other way on the baseline tenets of finance risk/reward, you are bound to have issues.

You can blame Barney or not. He is only one player. There are plenty of players for what ever reason chose not to challenge some stupid laws that was trying to apologize to the portion of our population that was just not motivated or capable enough to reap the blessings that this nation affords to all. Instead we made laws that required the financial institutions to make stupid loans to people who's feelings we didn't want to hurt. Kinda like making everyone a winner in schools!

I don't hate you for what I perceive to be hatred for me!

I just sense that if there was a light room and a dark room, you and I may choose different rooms.

Best of luck regardless.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #95
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not religious nor will I most likely ever be.

I'm a very scientific person and like what I can see, physics, chemistry, the likes of which can be explained.

It is called "Faith" for a reason, you place your "faith" in a higher being, I choose not to and that's what is great about this Country!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #96
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Chiken View Post
I'm not religious nor will I most likely ever be.

I'm a very scientific person and like what I can see, physics, chemistry, the likes of which can be explained.

It is called "Faith" for a reason, you place your "faith" in a higher being, I choose not to and that's what is great about this Country!
Understand completely! (Undergrad started in Fine Arts/Archetecture and ended in Mech/Aero Engr) Physics explained everything. I used to have a recurring dream/nightmare that there was a 64 variable equation that, if solved, would result in the perfect relationship!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #97
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Catholics are Christians. It should be Protestant or Catholic.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #98
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Catholics are Christians. It should be Protestant or Catholic.
Or you could extend that just a bit and say Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland!
Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #99
moe1967 is on a distinguished road
moe1967's Tacoma Gallery
Agnostic here.

The way I see it, if it makes you happy and your not harming anyone else, than so be it. It it makes your life easier, than so be it. There is no wrong religion.

*Please note* As I type this, there is a priest, etc. somewhere who is fondling a 10yr
old. Telling them that this is how "god" intended it to be.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #100
Ban Pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe1967 View Post
Agnostic here.

*Please note* As I type this, there is a priest, etc. somewhere who is fondling a 10yr
old. Telling them that this is how "god" intended it to be.
Or you mean like the Agnostic pedophiles? The ones that are saying "Oh god!" (as opposed to "Oh God")