Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Best LCD Flat TV?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
The Reel Sportsman
TacomaYAK will become famous soon enoughTacomaYAK will become famous soon enough

TacomaYAK's Tacoma Gallery
Best LCD Flat TV?

I've been looking at some LCD Flat TV's for about a week now and wanted to see what y'all thought was the best value for the money.

I like the Samsung 40" 1080P, which runs around 1100-1200. I'm moving into an apartment, so I can't get too much bigger because my viewing distance is limited. Anybody got any opinions? Thanks
Old 06-18-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Samsung LCD.

My family has several large HDTVs. The Samsung LCD is 1000x better than all of them. Such a great picture, it even makes VHS look good.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈
neontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shedneontrail is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neontrail's Tacoma Gallery
i searched for 2 months trying to decide...I went with a 52" Philips LCD 1080p
$2300 Sam's Club.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
i have always been a fan of sony........nice flat screen lcds. too much $$ for us right now though. even some of the vizio's that i have seen are pretty nice.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Samsung all the way. I don't have a flat panel, but my 46" projection (only 19.5" deep) has always treated me well, so I led my parents towards Samsung also. They got a 42" LCD with a 30,000:1 contrast ratio for about $1,100.00 about 2 months ago.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
Enjoying my addiction
roxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedroxspin72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

roxspin72's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to roxspin72
Cool

Check out the Phillips Ambilight series, I cant get enough of the way it lights up the living room. Sharp clear picture. HDTV quality cable, and Blue Ray disc players make this a great home entertainment set up for me.

Just thought I'd share.

http://www.flattv.ce.philips.com/en/.../overview.html
Old 06-18-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Eat My Dirt
Siafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the roughSiafu is a jewel in the rough

Siafu's Tacoma Gallery
if money is no object the new pioneer elite is the best tv you can buy.

the sony bravia is also a very good quality.

but i own a 42" lcd samsung and have never been happier.
it has on of the best overall quality pictures without spending a fortune.

One piece of advice. When you are at the store or looking online keep a close eye on the model number.

example

1) Sony FWD-42PV1/B

2) Sony FWD-50PX3/S

tv one ends with a b and tv 2 ends with a s. the closer you get to the end of the alphabet the better the quality of the television. I learned this from a tv repair guy that had been workin on tv's since black and whites where all the rage.
also repair ppl are the best to ask for advice when buying anything. they know what breaks and what doesnt.

p.s. vizio is crap.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Not the greatest picture, but I figured I'd post one up of mine since everyone else is...

P.S. - Not an LCD, but it is a Slimline Projection.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Banchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud ofBanchi94 has much to be proud of

Name: Ron
Banchi94's Tacoma Gallery
I also like Samsung...I think they're the best right now, but the best LCD for the money are the Vizio LCDs...IMHO. I have the 47" 1080p Gallevia.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed06BLUEDBLSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Colin
06BLUEDBLSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the Sharp Aquos, its really great picture, the color is great and it has a thing where it changes it brightness to reduce the glare in the screen
Old 06-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
There are only a couple companies that make the panels. Samsung is one of them. I think LG might be the other...not sure. Samsung will most likely keep the best performing panels to themselves, which means their image will be the nicest.

@Equin - Nice poster
Old 06-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #12
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
I got a Samsung Bordeaux 32" LCD in my bedroom, and after 3 more payments its gonna be mine LOL
Old 06-19-2008, 01:23 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i have always been a fan of sony........nice flat screen lcds. too much $$ for us right now though. even some of the vizio's that i have seen are pretty nice.
How about a rear-projection LCD?
We have a Sony 55" and we love it. They're a hell-of-a-lot cheaper now than they were when we bought ours only 1 year ago.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
There are only a couple companies that make the panels. Samsung is one of them. I think LG might be the other...not sure. Samsung will most likely keep the best performing panels to themselves, which means their image will be the nicest.

@Equin - Nice poster
BINGO pittim! I'm an AV technician working in video communications, so this is a topic i can speak about with a good degree of certainty.

Pittim is right, Samsung and LG make their own panels, and they are the best in the industry. Sony makes a decent TV, but the problem with sony is they use the same parts as the other big companies, but charge more for them. they have been #1 in the industry so long they think they can charge what they want, but in reality, their stuff is over rated. i'm not saying its not good, because it is, but its not worth the extra money you pay for the name.

Personally i prefer LG for their picture quality as well as their build quality and customer support. Samsung is probably just as good but i tend to favor LG for some reason. Another brand worth looking at is NEC. We use alot of their industrial grade stuff but its pricey, you're probably better off with a samsung or LG, whichever one you get the best deal on
Old 06-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #15
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
BINGO pittim! I'm an AV technician working in video communications, so this is a topic i can speak about with a good degree of certainty.

Pittim is right, Samsung and LG make their own panels, and they are the best in the industry. Sony makes a decent TV, but the problem with sony is they use the same parts as the other big companies, but charge more for them. they have been #1 in the industry so long they think they can charge what they want, but in reality, their stuff is over rated. i'm not saying its not good, because it is, but its not worth the extra money you pay for the name.

Personally i prefer LG for their picture quality as well as their build quality and customer support. Samsung is probably just as good but i tend to favor LG for some reason. Another brand worth looking at is NEC. We use alot of their industrial grade stuff but its pricey, you're probably better off with a samsung or LG, whichever one you get the best deal on
Yep, Sony is overpriced, when i bought the LCD, i was told by the sales dude, that Sony LCDs are lacking quality because they dont invest that much in research for that technology, they just buy it elsewhere, On the LG, i Tested them at the store, to compare with the samsung, with same dvd player and same movie, i didnt like them a lot, i liked the samsung better, even that it was a lil bit more pricey...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Ask for forgiveness than permission
ShorelineFab will become famous soon enoughShorelineFab will become famous soon enough

ShorelineFab's Tacoma Gallery
50" DELL Plasma ! I know its not a LCD but wanted to show anyways!
Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #17
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Yep, Sony is overpriced, when i bought the LCD, i was told by the sales dude, that Sony LCDs are lacking quality because they dont invest that much in research for that technology, they just buy it elsewhere, On the LG, i Tested them at the store, to compare with the samsung, with same dvd player and same movie, i didnt like them a lot, i liked the samsung better, even that it was a lil bit more pricey...
store testing is a bad way to compare, you need to talk to a professional or surf some forums. if you go to a store, that section will have the lights turned down low, and the contrast on the TV cranked all the way up so everything looks super vivid. plus, they usually use a cheap signal splitter without a booster so depending on the TV's location to the splitter, the signal may be worse on a better tv than the signal on a crappy TV. me and the other AV tech take many "research" trips to Best Buy and circuit city and places like that when we get bored, and we are always amazed at how the stores tweak the displays. large displays are never a good way to compare.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
store testing is a bad way to compare, you need to talk to a professional or surf some forums. if you go to a store, that section will have the lights turned down low, and the contrast on the TV cranked all the way up so everything looks super vivid. plus, they usually use a cheap signal splitter without a booster so depending on the TV's location to the splitter, the signal may be worse on a better tv than the signal on a crappy TV. me and the other AV tech take many "research" trips to Best Buy and circuit city and places like that when we get bored, and we are always amazed at how the stores tweak the displays. large displays are never a good way to compare.
oh yea thats why i asked them to put the two screens together and we hooked them directly to the dvd player.... but yea, i did my research too...
Old 06-19-2008, 10:15 AM   #19
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
consumerreports.com samsung rated number one, with sony not far behind.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #20
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Samsung. I've got their 50" DLP, my parents have their 42" LCD (5000:1 contrast), and I bought the 40" LCD (15,000:1 contrast) for my brother as a housewarming gift. All 1080p.

Picture quality is amazing and we've never had a problem with any of them. Quality for the price is unbeatable.