1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

washer/dryer help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nd, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Dec 19, 2010 at 11:59 AM
    Boring

Boring This space unintentionally left blank.

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    5-lug regular cab
    yarp
    I have only had one set for 6-7 years myself. Kenmore rebranded Whirlpools, I think. They've been fine so far. I have nothing but Kenmore and GE in my house and they've all been pretty good as far as reliability.

I hear lots of bad things about Maytags. They don't make them like they used to I guess.

2. Dec 19, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    My friend bought a Samsung front load washer and took it back within a week. It seems that some of their models do not pump all of the water out from under the drum after the spin cycle. Samsung apparently claims that this adds weight to increase stability of the machine during spin cycle. The problem is that the water begins to stink after about a week. Samsung says this is normal and you should throw some bleach into the washer once a week to kill the stink. Check it out online- there are hundreds of posts about this. One of the models mentioned:WF203ANW

3. Dec 20, 2010 at 4:14 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If there's anything mechanical wrong - and its out of warrantee, my husband and I can fix stuff ourselves. We do it all the time. My husband has already replaced 2 diods (??) on the Maytag circuit board :rolleyes: But when parts (circuit boards, computers (?), motors, etc) cost more than the thing is worth to fix......that's where it become an issue (for us).

84Hilux - Our maytag has fluid inside the drum (enclosed) and that's supposed to help with 'balancing' the load when spinning.
    That's really stupid for samsung to leave the water in there...or else what's the point of having a front loader? They're supposed to be better at wringing clothes dry & save dryer time? Weird...I'll have to ask them about that tonight when we shop. *There are LOTS & LOTS of complaints about people getting mold inside the drums for ALL front load washer machines. FYI - after every load, leave the door OPEN. This allows the drum to air out and dry out. I've been doing this since the first day I bought mine and I've never had a mold or mildew problem and never have to use bleach.

We're heading out to Lowes tonight to shop and buy. I think we're steering towards Samsung, but not totally sure yet. It just depends on cost and what's available. Depending on the situation, we might just get the Lowes extended warrantee (depends on cost and details). My husband did a bunch of research yesterday while I was at work. Again - it sucks buying appliances when you're pressured to buy something..... and don't have time to make the best decisions.

4. Dec 20, 2010 at 5:15 AM
    luvmywifestaco

luvmywifestaco Member

Member:
    Spring, TX.
    Vehicle:
    Bug out mobile for the coming zombies
    285 Nitto Grapplers. Poorman lift using blocks and spacers (to be replaced).

I'm a repair tech also. Own my own business. I agree with much of what Joe stated here. Any of the Korean stuff is gonna require technicians that are not affraid to work on it, that means half the choices. The ones that do work on them charge more because they can.
    Personally I wouldn't own any front loader. Too expensive and the life span is 8 years for the washer. That's when, on average, the tub bearings fail or the tub support fails. Both are $600+ repairs. And the idea of spending over $600+ for a dryer becaue it matches the washer... Then add the $250 pedestal... F-that It's no better (worse in most cases) than the mid range dryer model of the same manufacturer), just dolled up to match the washer.
    I just ordered a washer/dryer set from lowes last week. My current set of mismatched orphans lasted close to 20 years with a few repairs. But finally the repairs are just too much to warrant continuing. So I bought the most basic Roper (by whirlpool) set and paid about $650 for the pair. Delivered (well...when they come in).
    DOn't even get me started on Refrigerators.... and dishwashers.... fuhgetaboutit.:D

Alan

5. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    We ended up buying a Samsung 4.3cu foot washer from Lowes (along with matching dryer). They were 20% off along with another 5% off on the Lowes credit card. Lowes exclusive samsung with steam?? Didn't really need the Steam but it was the same price as another model without it. It has 1 year factory warrantee and we ended up buying the Lowes extended 5 year warrantee for $180 for both the washer & the dryer. We normally don't do extended warrantee plans....but....it was inexpensive enough and its hard to trust anything you buy these days.

My Dad has a Maytag Neptune washer. It's not as old as ours but close to 10 years. His washer motor was replaced under warrantee a few years ago. I asked him if I should save any parts for him...... I'm actually saving the circuit board & entire top panel with buttons & switches. He has a really old dryer....that's 35 years old.

They just don't make ANYTHING like they used to.

I love front loader washers....simply because I love washing my KING sized comforters & blankets in them!!

6. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    rme

rme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Savannah
    Vehicle:
    Green TACOMA
    XM, Panasonic Stereo, Headlights,Electric Ant,Toyota Deluxe Wheels, Rhino Lining, Cargo Rails
    So was this your Christmas present or the Hubby's....LOL

7. Dec 21, 2010 at 2:28 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    my parents just got that samsung washer from Lowes. I like it a lot. SUPER quiet! I got used to being able to hear the washer we had before from my bedroom on the top floor (washer was in the basement). Now, i have to get off my ass to see if it is done.

8. Dec 22, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd

I read online somewhere that Samsung makes some of Maytags stuff.

9. Dec 22, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    detnight

detnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Texas City ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Texas Edtion Sport Super White
    Bed cover, Borla exhaust,20in wheels The TEXAS edition
    we bought the Samsung front loader and the computer kept screwing it up,it lasted less a week before we took it back and got a Kenmore Elite Top loader. We have had it for over a year now with no problems. Our drier is gas

10. Dec 23, 2010 at 4:47 AM
    luvmywifestaco

luvmywifestaco Member

Member:
    Spring, TX.
    Vehicle:
    Bug out mobile for the coming zombies
    285 Nitto Grapplers. Poorman lift using blocks and spacers (to be replaced).
    There is a lot of name swapping in the appliance world.

11. Jan 3, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Hey Gang,
    I'm looking for a pair of pedestals for my Samsung washer/dryer. At this point, I'm trying to find reconditioned, scratch/dent, or used white ones. Our local Lowes often has 'returns' that they sell 50% off - but they go FAST. I've been looking on ebay, craigslist, & online.... just not sure how legit some of the information is online. I've seen Sears has 'buy reconditioned' but I'm assuming I have to call for availability? Anyone gone through sears for reconditioned stuff?

Any thoughts or suggestions....
    Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    We ended up buying a samsung set. they seem to have one of the best reputations and since i love all my other samsung products, i figured i'd give em a shot. so far we love them. they work great and are quiet. our only complaint is the song the dryer plays when its done. its just some random little song but it goes on for like, 30 or 40 seconds and we cant turn it off. its no big deal at all (the only reason i mention it at all is because its literally my only complaint) but we'll be watching TV and then we'll hear a 30 second lullaby and then its silent again. anyway, since their new i cant speak for durability but functionality is great.

13. Jan 6, 2011 at 7:57 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    hmmmm.... not sure about the sitting water you're talking about, but i did read something interesting about front loader washers. top loaders, aren't usually air tight, so when you're done, you can leave it open or closed, and any remaining moisture will evaporate. but with the front loaders, they are sealed tight to keep water in. so when you're done, you need to leave it open, and wipe down the clear part of the door. otherwise, the moisture can mildew and make your clothes stink. i dont know if we're talking about the same issue, but if we are i know thats not a defect, just an extra step you need to make when using the front loaders.

14. Jan 6, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    YES...that TUNE is annoying!!!!!!!!! I keep turning it off and my husband keeps turning it back on.

Funny..... we just got the washer/dryer about a week ago. It's like a new toy for my husband. He's been doing the laundry for me. "Who are you and what have you done with my husband?". I'm waiting for the novelty to wear off. :D

Yes....Leaving the door open is the best idea on these front loaders. I owned my Maytag Neptune for 13 years and left the door open all the time when I wasn't using it. I never had any problems with mildew and never had to wipe anything down. It stayed clean and maintenance free.

15. Apr 2, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Old post, I know....:eek:

Just wanted to say, I picked up some samsung pedestals and they are AWESOME. I highly recommend!!

If Lowes is in your neighborhood - stop in and visit their 'scratch-n-dent' section. They have lots of cheap stuff here (appliances, etc). I picked up one samsung pedestal for $50. It looks great but was missing the hardware. Lowes (online) has the hardware kits for $10 ($1.77 plus shipping).

The pedestals are normally $199 new. But if you're patient, wait for sales. I picked up another pedestal (new) for $99 at our local Hhgreg store. We also picked up a matching pair for my mother-in-law.

16. Apr 4, 2011 at 8:45 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    good to know. do you just use them to store your clothes washin supplies in? we looked at them but you're right, they're $200 new and i've got tons of stuff i can spend $200 on and a pedestal is not one of them.

on a side note..... the stupid song continues.... i dont guess you've found a way to shut it up have you?

17. Apr 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4

Dryers do the opposite of what energy star ratings try to accomplish. They convert energy into heat. Energy star rates how effecient a machine uses electricity for the required job. Heat = energy loss.

Ovens, ranges, and stoves also do not have energy star ratings.

18. Apr 4, 2011 at 10:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    I've turned it off completely but my husband keeps turning it back on!!!

What the hell were they thinking!!???

19. Apr 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM
    cleanTRDmachine

cleanTRDmachine watch the meat

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Q-Town, PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    tint gray camo seat covers debadged color matched grille surround off of 06 TRD sport grillecraft black mesh grille Hella 500's demudflapped Toyota rear leaf TSB (first edition) 265/75/16 BFG AT TA KO's Flowmaster Super 40 #952445 Maglite Mod AntennaX 13in antenna Painted Lower Valance Vision X H4 Xenon headlights Halo Solaris H10 foglights Velocity Offroad 2.5 leveling kit (removed) Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers Rocky Mounts Clutch SD bike mount 4ft combo lock cable for bed extender Stage I interior LED's Toytec 1.5" AALs Extang Trifold Signature Series Bed Cover Reese front mounted tow hook Icon Stage 1 Suspension
  20. Apr 4, 2011 at 3:03 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    you sir, have just earned your user name and avatar. learn something new every day.

how do you turn it off? we looked in the manual and couldn't find anything. the only way to stop it is to power off the machine or open the door. did you figure out how to make it not play the stupid tune at all?

Products Discussed in

To Top