Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

My dog ate rat poison!

Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My dog ate rat poison!

Thankfully, he's ok.

Long story short, we were hiking up at a pond where there was a shelter & one of my friends noticed my mini daschund, Simon, eating something in the corner. It looked like little greenish blue rabbit pelts in a dish. The caretaker left out some Decon

We got off the mountain & called the emergency vet who told us to give him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. After he got sick, we rushed to the vet who treated him w/ K-1 which is a 2 week pill treatment to counteracts the poison. If gone unnoticed, he would have hemmoraged which is what the stuff does.

I am so grateful for my friend noticing & having the peroxide. My dog is a big part of my life & am glad he is ok.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
OMG!!!! Glad it was caught soon! I know how important dogs are in ones life.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Hope your dog is 100% safe now-that's a bad way to go man! I too am glad you had the smarts to act fast-you saved his life!
Old 06-22-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
I am so happy to hear this good news, often it's not so... I would buy lottery tickets now, ride the wave !
Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
very glad to hear the pup is ok now!!! awesome thing ya'll acted fast too. really good to hear!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
TacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud ofTacoSter has much to be proud of

TacoSter's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Good catch! My grandma was not so lucky & lost her dog to same damn thing... glad it worked out!
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Route66Taco will become famous soon enoughRoute66Taco will become famous soon enough

Route66Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Dodged that pellet.

Good reaction. Glad your pup's alright and for the happy ending. Thought I was going to have to offer condolences.

You need a couple of stickers for your Taco.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks everyone for your kind words. Route66, that taco hotdog is hysterical! Right after I posted this we lost power due to a huge thunderstorm. It was a doozy! I talked to my regular vet today & they said I was very lucky to have all those factors come together too & good friends who stayed calm.

I felt so bad for the little guy, earlier in the day, he got zapped by an electric fence at a friend's farm.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #9
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xedge View Post
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Route66, that taco hotdog is hysterical! Right after I posted this we lost power due to a huge thunderstorm. It was a doozy! I talked to my regular vet today & they said I was very lucky to have all those factors come together too & good friends who stayed calm.

I felt so bad for the little guy, earlier in the day, he got zapped by an electric fence at a friend's farm.
I would check to make sure you dog doesn't really have cat genes. He sounds like he is blowing through 9 lives!

Good thing he's okay though! I am dreading the day my golden retriever passes. She is already 3 years older than her mother was when she died of lymphoma. I have 2 other dogs, but they are all special to me. So, I am long windedly saying -
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
Man that's rough, glad it looks like he's going to be alright!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We might consider changing his name from Simon to Lucky!

I'm glad to hear he's OK.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #12
nagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of lightnagelg is a glorious beacon of light

Army: 173rd Airborne, Pathfinder, MACV
Name: George
nagelg's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to nagelg
I'm glad it worked out and your pup is ok. They're just part of the family!

I had a lab once who ate a brick of rat poison that I had in the barn. As ya'll may know, labs'l eat anything! Anyway, I took her to the vet's and she said a tablespoon of peroxide will take care of it. Turns out this dog loved the taste of preoxide...she drank a quart of the stuff over 2 hours before she finally barfed.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagelg View Post
I'm glad it worked out and your pup is ok. They're just part of the family!

I had a lab once who ate a brick of rat poison that I had in the barn. As ya'll may know, labs'l eat anything! Anyway, I took her to the vet's and she said a tablespoon of peroxide will take care of it. Turns out this dog loved the taste of preoxide...she drank a quart of the stuff over 2 hours before she finally barfed.
That sounds like my lab... "what-d-ya-mean I can't eat it. Of course I can!!!"
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #14
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery

You can't have a dog thread without sharing the pup's pics with the rest of us.

Glad to hear he's ok. I think about the trouble a dog gets into and wonder how I'm gonna make it through kids...
Old 06-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #15
I dub thee malicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
I think about the trouble a dog gets into and
wonder how I'm gonna make it through kids...
I think I am going to spend the rest of my life practicing making kids without the actual kids. Dogs are hard enough to keep track of.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
glad to hear he's ok
Old 06-23-2008, 07:00 PM   #17
Wag More Bark Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post

You can't have a dog thread without sharing the pup's pics with the rest of us.

Yes you are right chopper, so here is Simon aka as Lucky living life large today.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM   #18
Lane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the roughLane Cypert is a jewel in the rough
Lane Cypert's Tacoma Gallery
Glad your dog is okay! My great dane a few years back got into rat poison at my grandparents house and we forced him to drink peroxide as well since that is what said to do to flush out his system. The next day my grandad left his shed open and my Great Dane got 2 fish hooks stuck in his lip! Needless to say he didn't go visit grandpa anymore but he was okay thankfully!
Old 06-24-2008, 01:28 AM   #19
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to hear he is ok

Very lucky!

Hey! I could save a bundle on my prescription rat poison(coumadin) (my doc actually said it is the same ingredient as rat poison) by nibbling on those little green pellets. Next time I get blood clots in my leg, I will save a few bucks and self medicate with Decon. LOL
Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 AM   #20
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes you are right chopper, so here is Simon aka as Lucky living life large today.
Glad Simon is ok and hope he was born a Leo for a few more lives. Something else for you to think about while out in the wild hiking. A large hawk can carry off a pup or at the very least really hurt one trying to do so. Keep a close eye on the kid.

Our neighbors lost their dog to the dog food from China deal awhile back. Feeding it the high $ food actually wasn't the best thing to do.