Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Road bike help.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
Road bike help.

I'm really interested in buying a road bike. I'm not too familiar with the brands nor what is good or not. I found a couple that caught my eye which were in my price range since I am just starting out. If there are any bikes out there that you would recommend please post them. Let me know what you guys think of these. Thanks in advance

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ington3_IX.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ington2_IX.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...kilott_s3x.htm
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...agesport_x.htm
Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
for your first bike stay away from that first link with the fixed gear.
Motobecanes are nice bikes. My step dad still has his from college (30 years ago)
I would be hesitant about those windsors just because when you need to replace a part (you will), it may be hard to find something for those bikes. stick to popular brands. Ex. Specialized, Giant, Trek, Motobecane, Bianchi, Cannondale.

I used to ride a 2006 Specialized Allez elite. Those are good bikes.
http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/s...-elite-reviews
Old 08-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the feedback. Are there any sites that you could recommend that has good prices?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pairodice View Post
try bike nashbar, price point, cambria bike fitters, or pick up road bike action mag and flip through the ads
all those sites were out of my price rage. hahah.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
First I derp.. then I herp
mntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmntbiker2008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Aaron
mntbiker2008's Tacoma Gallery
try pinkbike.com you can buy a nice slightly used road bike on their for a decent price.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #7
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
1.Also they always show a list price usually twice the actual sale amount pay no attention to the list price!
2.Like said above make sure the components are shimano or sram.these are very easy to find and can replace easy.
3.go to a GOOD bike store. The reason i say good is one of the most important things to these bikes is fit. My first bike was fitted wrong and i was hurting. the replacement bike is so much better.
4. your first bike is just like a car ,you might wreck it(so wear a helm)
PS Here is my bike
Old 08-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
try http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...10052_10551_-1
Old 08-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman597 View Post
1.Also they always show a list price usually twice the actual sale amount pay no attention to the list price!
2.Like said above make sure the components are shimano or sram.these are very easy to find and can replace easy.
3.go to a GOOD bike store. The reason i say good is one of the most important things to these bikes is fit. My first bike was fitted wrong and i was hurting. the replacement bike is so much better.
PS Here is my bike
Sweeet looking bike. How much did that run ya?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #10

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
lol ON sale for $899 full carbon (List price $2000)again list price is crap. But what made the deal is they were giving me a full refund of the bike I had allready bought from them like 9 months earler because they miss fitted me. so by then i had put some miles on it and decided to upgrade.my old bike was 600 so all i had to pay was 299 xtra.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Medical
Name: Jeff
USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Local bike shops are helpful too. Tell them your price range and be firm, but a heads up, it's worth saving up if you can wait and buy quality.

You might be able to get an aluminum bike with excellent components for around 800+ possibly.

Craigslist and Craiglook usually have a long list of used bikes for cheaper.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #12
USFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shedUSFCON is one of the sharper tools in the shed

USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
PS Here is my bike
Reflectors = too much weight lol
Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #13

dman597's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by USFCON View Post
Reflectors = too much weight lol
they have been removed lol. Bike store told me that they had to kept them on by law.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #14

USFCON's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
they have been removed lol. Bike store told me that they had to kept them on by law.

Oh bah. lol
Old 09-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #16
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Where in SoCal are you?

There are tons of Performance Bike shops around. I go to the one in Pt. Loma. The guys who work there aren't there to make a sale, they want to get you a bike that you love because they all love to cycle.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...06_-1_600002__

They have great deals on last years models, or 2 years old, but still great bike, and they have tons of choices, even in your price range.

Hope it helps
Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
do w3rk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCaron View Post
Where in SoCal are you?

There are tons of Performance Bike shops around. I go to the one in Pt. Loma. The guys who work there aren't there to make a sale, they want to get you a bike that you love because they all love to cycle.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...06_-1_600002__

They have great deals on last years models, or 2 years old, but still great bike, and they have tons of choices, even in your price range.

Hope it helps

Thanks. I live in temecula so sd isnt too far away. Maybe if I go down there you could come with and help a brotha out?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
MadeInMaine
MadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadeInMaine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Owen
MadeInMaine's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MadeInMaine
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
Thanks. I live in temecula so sd isnt too far away. Maybe if I go down there you could come with and help a brotha out?

Of course.

I work in the Emergency Department down here, and my schedule is a bit funky, but when did you want to come down?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:15 PM   #19
spp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to beholdspp is a splendid one to behold
spp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbolt View Post
There are 2 good shops right in town for you.
IE Bikes and Cyclepath.