Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Chiropractic: Science or Pseudo-Science

View Poll Results: What do you think of Chiropractic?
Real Science 39 65.00%
Pseudo-Science 21 35.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Chiropractic: Science or Pseudo-Science

I have a relative that is thinking about going into Chiropractic. He asked and I gave him my opinions. What is your opinion?
Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
^Well said. I've heard horror stories like pretty much everyone has. Some are good. Some are bad.

My main guy that I go to is a genius. You'll never heard him say we'll see you next week unless you're really banged up. Otherwise his philosophy is come in if you need to, if not...see you around.

Not like most of them who are like we'll see you in 2 days for your next checkup.

Seriously doc...fix me already. I already got raped at the dealership.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^^hahahahahahahahaha... thats funny... dealerships dont rail u that hard... but yeah i had a bad back/hip alignment issue, my doc figured it out real quick, i have special insoles now, never felt so good in shoes. and when i feel pain, i go in. hurts for an hour, then im good to go. and yes those guys have skills, not to hurt people when they do what they do.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I find a nice balance between Chiropractor and Massage Therapist produces the best results. No point in putting joints into place if the muscles are tight and going to pull the fuckers right out of line in 4 hours anyways.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
I hurt my lower back so bad from a mildly pinched disk due to misallignment I could barely lift my foot while walking to get up the curb to the chiropractor. I left walking with no pain. I was converted that day... have used a chiropractor exactly once since then. I only use when they NEED to be used. A bad one can screw you up really bad and its not a continuous hollistic type thing... its to manipulate what needs to be manipulated, instead of pills or surgery when it is really so bad you NEED it nothing else IMO.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
My chiropractor is a god-send. She channeled me to the absolute best orthopedic surgeon to do my knee replacement. She also works with many US National Team athletes that train over in Lake Placid & the U.S. Rugbys teams. Due to her & my more traditional orhtopedic doctor I am free of chronic pain & a whole new person living life to the fullest.

But it isnt always this way.

One of my first jobs transitioning from army retirement to civy world was in a medical office for a chiropractor. That doctor was a quack & very non-professional interested only in numbers & $$$. Literally set up 4-5 appts every 15 min all day & milking the insurance company. I walked out (never had on a job in my life) & reported the incident to my state's dept of labor.

Life lesson learned...just like anything there are good people and not so good people. Just because you got a bunch of degrees and certificates doesn't mean you are an ethical practictioner.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #8
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I think it depends. For alignment issues, I consider it a science. My uncle became a Chiropractor about 30 years ago. I remember him telling stories about how Chiropractors cured paralized arms and diseases and stuff like that. I think that is mostly bunk. But for spinal alignment issues, I could see where it would help.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
I had a very sharp pain in my lower back from lifting heavy 35" tires at work. I was referred to a chiropractor in the area and he used a combination of alignment and massage therapy and my pain is all but gone. It only took 3 visits and I'm back to lifting weights and stretching like I did before. It's science to me.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
tacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, Cutterman
Name: Tom
tacomathom's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't chiropractic a belief that ALL health problems are caused by misalignment of the spine? I voted pseudo-science and would have voted B.S. if that was a third choice. There are no medical officers in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that are chiropractors. That tells me all I need to know.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i know kid who makes $10k a week being a crook.....i mean chiropracter
Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
HOME!!!
solus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shedsolus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: LT, USN
Name: Mark
solus's Tacoma Gallery
my GF had some serious back problems... she went to the chiropractor and found out her hips where misaligned and she had multiple ribs pushed back. The chiropractor readjusted the bones and poof back pain gone. The main problem is that her bones seem to drift that way due to going years with them misaligned, now she has to go back every month or so for a readjustment, hopefully after awhile the bones will "learn" their new place.

Just like any medical professional... they are human and can mess up... some are good and some are bad, just like doctors. Do your research and find a reputable and well practiced one.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #13
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Science for me. I started going to one due to near-constant lower back pain, and constants sinus congestion. I stopped taking pain killers because I'd be on them every day, and didn't want that. I've tried nearly every allergy/decongestant med out there and only a few help. But again it's a daily medication I'd rather avoid taking, and spending the money on. My chiropractor was able to make adjustments to ease my back pain, figure out my right leg is half an inch shorter than my left (30 year, and no one else ever noticed....), and was able to stretch/manipulate my neck so my sinuses drained. I could breath clearly without drugs for a few days after, and walk more comfortably with a 1/2" insole in my right shoe.

My wife is a similar story. She's had 2 back surgeries. Her spine is twisted several different ways due to her being in odd positions to ease the pain before and after surgeries, and waiting so long for treatment. Her hips are twisted such that her left hip is locked (but not fused), and doesn't rotate when she walks. She has to twist her body to walk. She also has numbness from her left calf to the toes from the last surgery. Further surgery is pointless because she already has nerve damage (one has surgery to PREVENT nerve damage, thus it's too late for her). After visiting the chiro twice a week for a month or so, she started getting feeling back in her leg and foot! She could walk better, the constant back pain was fading, and the possibility of her actually enjoying the same outdoor activities I do seemed possible for the first time in years. Unfortunately it was a $30/visit co-pay and we couldn't afford to keep it up.

Hopefully with my promotion at work, and if she gets a job at the hospital, we'll be able to resume.

Her chiro was the only person who ever told her her body could be straightened out and work correctly. And it didn't involve invasive surgery, or addictive drugs.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:01 PM   #15
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
^I can't remember. You're 5-0 right?

huh?
Old 09-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Police?
ah, i thought so, but no. Computer support at a hospital. I hate cops... Especially donut stuffing South Carolina ones....
Old 09-05-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Resident Jackass

For some reason I always thought you were a cop. I was like lower back pain, I have that shit. Fucking duty belt...

I guess youz just broke dude.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #19
Devout Atheist

lol No duty belt. Cross country/track in HS, retail jobs standing on concrete for 8 hours during and after college.... The whole time with one leg shorter than the other twisting my pelvis and spine. And I wondered why it hurt. Had I known this years ago I could have avoided it.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #20
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
I go to a chiro every once in a while to get back in place. I yanked my back a couple weeks ago, as down for the count. Went to the chiro the next day and was like new, no follow up needed. Oh and I go to the chiros that use this actuator that snap and move your discs and bones...no back crackers for me, I cant handle being popped like that.