1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Chiropractic: Science or Pseudo-Science

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by knayrb, Sep 4, 2010.

?

What do you think of Chiropractic?

Poll closed Oct 4, 2010.
  1. Real Science

39 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. Pseudo-Science

21 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    knayrb

knayrb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    I have a relative that is thinking about going into Chiropractic. He asked and I gave him my opinions. What is your opinion?

2. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Science AND Art. Most of those docs know more than just cracking joints-It takes some solid know how to NOT hurt someone while manipulating their joints and muscle the way they do.

And their treatments have helped me...and I spend a LOT of time abusing my back and hips due to my job.

3. Sep 4, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    ^Well said. I've heard horror stories like pretty much everyone has. Some are good. Some are bad.

My main guy that I go to is a genius. You'll never heard him say we'll see you next week unless you're really banged up. Otherwise his philosophy is come in if you need to, if not...see you around.

Not like most of them who are like we'll see you in 2 days for your next checkup.

Seriously doc...fix me already. I already got raped at the dealership.

4. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:10 PM
    lotsoftoys

lotsoftoys pavement is boring....

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    98 lifted panda taco
    bunch of crap
    ^^^^^hahahahahahahahaha... thats funny... dealerships dont rail u that hard... but yeah i had a bad back/hip alignment issue, my doc figured it out real quick, i have special insoles now, never felt so good in shoes. and when i feel pain, i go in. hurts for an hour, then im good to go. and yes those guys have skills, not to hurt people when they do what they do.

5. Sep 4, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    I find a nice balance between Chiropractor and Massage Therapist produces the best results. No point in putting joints into place if the muscles are tight and going to pull the fuckers right out of line in 4 hours anyways.

6. Sep 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hurt my lower back so bad from a mildly pinched disk due to misallignment I could barely lift my foot while walking to get up the curb to the chiropractor. I left walking with no pain. I was converted that day... have used a chiropractor exactly once since then. I only use when they NEED to be used. A bad one can screw you up really bad and its not a continuous hollistic type thing... its to manipulate what needs to be manipulated, instead of pills or surgery when it is really so bad you NEED it nothing else IMO.

7. Sep 5, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    My chiropractor is a god-send. She channeled me to the absolute best orthopedic surgeon to do my knee replacement. She also works with many US National Team athletes that train over in Lake Placid & the U.S. Rugbys teams. Due to her & my more traditional orhtopedic doctor I am free of chronic pain & a whole new person living life to the fullest. :)

But it isnt always this way. :(

One of my first jobs transitioning from army retirement to civy world was in a medical office for a chiropractor. That doctor was a quack & very non-professional interested only in numbers & $$$. Literally set up 4-5 appts every 15 min all day & milking the insurance company. I walked out (never had on a job in my life) & reported the incident to my state's dept of labor.

Life lesson learned...just like anything there are good people and not so good people. Just because you got a bunch of degrees and certificates doesn't mean you are an ethical practictioner.

8. Sep 5, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I think it depends. For alignment issues, I consider it a science. My uncle became a Chiropractor about 30 years ago. I remember him telling stories about how Chiropractors cured paralized arms and diseases and stuff like that. I think that is mostly bunk. But for spinal alignment issues, I could see where it would help.

9. Sep 5, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    2k6750

2k6750 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Naples FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 SWB Prerunner Double Cab TRD Offroad
    Toytec coilovers set at 3", 5100 shocks all around, rear AAL and 1"block, 18" Moto Metal 951's with 285/60/18 Terra Grapplers, Leer Topper, de-badged, T-rex billet grille, BHLM, K&N intake, Jardine catback, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, 8" kicker solo barik, Clarion 7" in dash dvd player. 12.1" flip down screen
    I had a very sharp pain in my lower back from lifting heavy 35" tires at work. I was referred to a chiropractor in the area and he used a combination of alignment and massage therapy and my pain is all but gone. It only took 3 visits and I'm back to lifting weights and stretching like I did before. It's science to me.

10. Sep 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Isn't chiropractic a belief that ALL health problems are caused by misalignment of the spine? I voted pseudo-science and would have voted B.S. if that was a third choice. There are no medical officers in any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces that are chiropractors. That tells me all I need to know.

11. Sep 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i know kid who makes $10k a week being a crook.....i mean chiropracter

12. Sep 5, 2010 at 11:16 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    my GF had some serious back problems... she went to the chiropractor and found out her hips where misaligned and she had multiple ribs pushed back. The chiropractor readjusted the bones and poof back pain gone. The main problem is that her bones seem to drift that way due to going years with them misaligned, now she has to go back every month or so for a readjustment, hopefully after awhile the bones will "learn" their new place.

Just like any medical professional... they are human and can mess up... some are good and some are bad, just like doctors. Do your research and find a reputable and well practiced one.

13. Sep 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Science for me. I started going to one due to near-constant lower back pain, and constants sinus congestion. I stopped taking pain killers because I'd be on them every day, and didn't want that. I've tried nearly every allergy/decongestant med out there and only a few help. But again it's a daily medication I'd rather avoid taking, and spending the money on. My chiropractor was able to make adjustments to ease my back pain, figure out my right leg is half an inch shorter than my left (30 year, and no one else ever noticed....), and was able to stretch/manipulate my neck so my sinuses drained. I could breath clearly without drugs for a few days after, and walk more comfortably with a 1/2" insole in my right shoe.

My wife is a similar story. She's had 2 back surgeries. Her spine is twisted several different ways due to her being in odd positions to ease the pain before and after surgeries, and waiting so long for treatment. Her hips are twisted such that her left hip is locked (but not fused), and doesn't rotate when she walks. She has to twist her body to walk. She also has numbness from her left calf to the toes from the last surgery. Further surgery is pointless because she already has nerve damage (one has surgery to PREVENT nerve damage, thus it's too late for her). After visiting the chiro twice a week for a month or so, she started getting feeling back in her leg and foot! She could walk better, the constant back pain was fading, and the possibility of her actually enjoying the same outdoor activities I do seemed possible for the first time in years. Unfortunately it was a $30/visit co-pay and we couldn't afford to keep it up.

Hopefully with my promotion at work, and if she gets a job at the hospital, we'll be able to resume.

Her chiro was the only person who ever told her her body could be straightened out and work correctly. And it didn't involve invasive surgery, or addictive drugs.

14. Sep 5, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    ^I can't remember. You're 5-0 right?

15. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:

huh?

16. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Police?

17. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    ah, i thought so, but no. Computer support at a hospital. I hate cops... :D Especially donut stuffing South Carolina ones....

18. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Krazie Sj

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    For some reason I always thought you were a cop. I was like lower back pain, I have that shit. Fucking duty belt...

I guess youz just broke dude.

19. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    piercedtiger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    lol No duty belt. Cross country/track in HS, retail jobs standing on concrete for 8 hours during and after college.... The whole time with one leg shorter than the other twisting my pelvis and spine. And I wondered why it hurt. :rolleyes: Had I known this years ago I could have avoided it.

20. Sep 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    I go to a chiro every once in a while to get back in place. I yanked my back a couple weeks ago, as down for the count. Went to the chiro the next day and was like new, no follow up needed. Oh and I go to the chiros that use this actuator that snap and move your discs and bones...no back crackers for me, I cant handle being popped like that.

Products Discussed in

To Top