1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

home security camera??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jdickey03, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    jdickey03

jdickey03 [OP] $enior M3MB3R

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    (SOLD)2006 Tacoma trd offroad
    3" skyjacker Lift,Pioneer touch screen unit. Relentless Rear Bumper.
    So my truck was broken into last night, used a slim jim or something to pry open my door...in my own driveway. Took my backpack full of some expensive class books. and tried to snag my Pioneer headunit but stop for some reason? more pissed about the books... anyways im getting a alarm put in tuesday..this is the 3rd time ive been ripped off in the past year..my girlfriends uncle lives down the street and he's had the same problem...We both installed motion lights. but i dont think it will do much. I'm wanting to put a small camera on top or below the motion light to catch the guy. Atleast have a face to the crime, or maybe a sensor that rings in my house when something sets it off. But not a sensor too strong that it goes off everytime someone drives down the road. you guys have any advice?
    IMG00061-20100904-1155_d2c526165719c6e22fa22adf94b9855560124d98.jpg

Im expecting him..or her? to come back they half-assed this attempt to take out my HU. but got this far...which im suprised he just didnt break the brackets and run..
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:37 PM
    m3zy6

m3zy6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDSport AC 6spd 4x4
    A camera would be interesting, but since you said your going to get an alarm just get a 2-way one. I just had a Python 991 installed, and I leave it on silent. That way when the alarm is tripped the pager/key remote goes off, but the person breaking in doesn't know it.
    This one -http://www.pythoncarsecurity.com/products/product.aspx?ProductID=619

3. Sep 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah i was looking at the 2-way viper. looks like ill be getting one of them. But i live in a pretty small town so a camera would be nice because i probably know the little shit

4. Sep 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Costco has a deal right now on some camera's w/a monitor for 100.00..........you get 4 camera's and 1 color monitor.............

5. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    damn, thats a bummer. glad i live in SC and inthe country. out here people know better. they know we dont call the cops, we just shoot people and bury them on our land or in our garden. its quite the deterrent. God bless the South :)

6. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah, my dog who normally barks at everything just slept away. I didnt know anything had even happend till i went to my truck and looked wayy down the street and saw our neighbors trunk was open. Then I looked at my passenger door and noticed it was cracked. i set up some motion lights and have the ol' mossberg 20 gauge ready. nobody like hearing a pump shotgun load :) and i get my viper 2-way in put in tomorrow so i'll be ready next time. I have a feeling i know who it is

7. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    thats the way to go...this way you can introduce the guys teeth you catch to the curb:D

8. Sep 8, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    thainess

thainess Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sugar Land, tx
    Vehicle:
    10 prerunner trd offroad
    Plasti-dip emblems
    sorry to hear

i got cameras at my house and my neighborhood has about 2-3 break ins i hear about a month or 2 and it seems the cameras deter them from my house.... before we got the camera my dads work truck got broken into twice in about a year.... got the motion light first then cameras... doesnt hurt to get cameras ours are out in the open so you can tell the house has cameras

im also majoring in criminal justice and in my classes they said that most burglars pick easy targets and stay away from houses that seem to be trouble...

hope that helps

9. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRUNNER TRD Sports Pkg, Black
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    i got 4 visible cameras covering all major areas of my house including one facing my truck. I also got other hidden cameras around to cover a full 360 degrees. sure might be over kill but i like electronics and peace of mind. also i have an alarm on my truck the minute i bought it. not that crap alarm from the factory but a good aftermarket one. also they put a doorjam switch on my hood connected to the alarm as well so if they pop the hood my alarm will sound. also i took it a step further and ran a doorjam switch to my tailgate (i have a tonneau)so if they open my tailgate my alarm will sound. also don't forget to get a dvr if you get cameras.

10. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:26 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I think that i'm definately getting the cameras. and definately dvr. My neighbor was talking about going 50/50 on the equipment and said they have cameras now that are set on a network so the people who have the address to it can watch from the recordings from there computer...for the alarm. Im having them install the rear slider switch so they can't come in that way. 3 times this year is just too much. sick of losing expensive shit

11. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    Pop&Lock, Bakflip, spare tire lock, folding hitch step, alarm, n-fab steps, more to come hopefully
    Believe me man, i feel ya on this one. I had my old accord broken into at work a few years back. and the worst part was that i actually saw the guy doing it but i didn't know what he was doing at the time. Yeah speaking of the IP cams, my friend has one. his house got broken into while he was at work so he install one and checks in from time to time via internet. they are more expensive though. they also have motion sensor cameras/dvr packages so you don't waste harddrive space recording no activity. the camera only activates when there is movement then records. Yeah man again, i know the feeling...worst feeling when it happens...helplessness, pissed, all emotions. If like you said there is high crime in your area....look into a proximity sensor for your alarm too...that way if the thief just gets near your car, it will warn then sound.

12. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah i work at Costco and have checked out the security cameras. But I talked to a couple sheriffs the other day and they were saying how the ones we have at Costco won't show the license plate(if they are driving by) I guess the ones we have like reflect off the plates, supposedly there are some out there that dont reflect. And I do think they are driving by cause I've gone outside to go to work early in the morning( around 5am-ish) and Ive seen a car waiting at the end of the road and someone running from a parked car to it and taking off...unfortunately couldnt find out where they were going..like i said I have a feeling i know who it is.. small town...people talk..but i dont have proof

13. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah my parents just installed the camera that activates when the motion light goes off at their house. Its pretty cool cause the camera is on top of the light and the theif can't see the camera because of the glare of the light... Im willing to spend some good cash on security..im already spending little under 600 tomorrow on car alarm. My girlfriends car hasnt been touched and she leaves stupidly expensive things in there. (ipods, purses..).. althought i doubt many thieves want a purse haha but maybe

14. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah i didnt think they would look at my truck as a easy hit, since it was locked.. but they got in and had time to look around..

15. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    for the record...i can pop a locked car door in under 10 seconds...

sorry you got hit...at least they opened the door instead of smashing a window which seems to the be the MO around here...

My guess is they were in the process of removing your stereo and got spooked...

maybe look into a camera that you can put in your truck too?

16. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    I looked around for cameras that i can put in my truck but they get pretty expensive. Im looking at one that goes on my garage and looks right into my trucks windshield head on. I'm guessing that they were spooked too. Because they could have had my HU. I was looking at it the next day and they just needed to break the other side of the bracket and they could have been gone. So that's why I think they might be comming back. Because they know it's there now.

17. Sep 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    yeah i need to look into a little more before making the decision. I figured getting the car alarm first would be the easiest way to start off.

18. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM
    t-frax

t-frax Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    I think that is the main reason they targeted your truck was because of the double din. when they got spooked, they probably just grabbed your bag and jammed. I've been wanting a double din but always afraid some low life would break in and take which would be a waste of my hard earned cash. the other thing i'm afraid of is a thief taking my catalytic converters....been trying to get metalmiller to make a cover for me.

19. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:02 PM
    sHiBby

sHiBby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Laveen, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Sr5
    you should go with the motion camera =) and if you were living here in az have your little 12 gauge with ya =P

20. Sep 8, 2010 at 10:06 PM
    jdickey03

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    where in california are you? I live in Humboldt County and i haven't heard of anyone stealing catalytic converters up here. But this is a ass-load of car thefts. and i also think its cause i have a double din. But it sucks they were in my driveway!! like they had to get out of the car or walk up my driveway to see it.

Products Discussed in

To Top