Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What breed of dog should I get?

Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #41
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFTRD View Post
I'm a boxer lover myself!
Boxer FTW!!!

Boxers are awesome. Had one since I was 3.

They're crazy energetic, fun to play with, and awesome with kids. I know the OP is only like 18, but that's always a good trait to have. The dog we have now is a boxer/mutt mix. She's awesome, but when I finally get my house built I will have a full blooded boxer. At least 1.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #42
jlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shedjlvhrse is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jen
jlvhrse's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jlvhrse
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredstud View Post
get an aussie
x2

Australian Shepherd or Flat Coated Retriever. Both are amazingly smart, loyal and eager to please. Perfect dogs for such a big yard, my flat coated retriever (Duke) would never leave the yard, fenced or not.

Flat Coated Retriever

Australian Shepherd
Old 09-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #43
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Huskys are cool dogs but can be a handful... not near as mellow as your lab. Huskys are more interested in other dogs than people... They take a long time to mellow out.

Malamutes are very protective: good if you have kids, not good if you have BBQs.

German Shep: great dogs, smart, they need to be challenged, trained, and need more than a game of fetch to stay stimulated. You'll spend your last several years together figuring ways to sneak pain meds into treats for its bad hips.

Get a mutt. A shepardy lab mix has been my best dog by far... plus she was free.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #44
Gots a Taco!
Series1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really niceSeries1000 is just really nice
Series1000's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a Cain corso, do some looking but thats the choice that I have to make.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #45
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Boston Terrier

Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #46
waterman is on a distinguished road
waterman's Tacoma Gallery
Dutch Shepard
Old 09-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #48
Thread Jacker
schiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedschiz94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
schiz94's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Huskys are cool dogs but can be a handful... not near as mellow as your lab. Huskys are more interested in other dogs than people... They take a long time to mellow out.

Malamutes are very protective: good if you have kids, not good if you have BBQs.

German Shep: great dogs, smart, they need to be challenged, trained, and need more than a game of fetch to stay stimulated. You'll spend your last several years together figuring ways to sneak pain meds into treats for its bad hips.

Get a mutt. A shepardy lab mix has been my best dog by far... plus she was free.
we used to wrap the glucosamine pills in salami. and for the last year she was alive we crushed them up and put them on her food.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #49
WTF
1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed1TUFFTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ours is a rescue from a boxer shelter near our house. So sad to see all those boxers that need homes! Got him when he was around 2 years old and had him for 21/2 years. Turned out to be a great dog!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalden2 View Post
Boxer FTW!!!

Boxers are awesome. Had one since I was 3.

They're crazy energetic, fun to play with, and awesome with kids. I know the OP is only like 18, but that's always a good trait to have. The dog we have now is a boxer/mutt mix. She's awesome, but when I finally get my house built I will have a full blooded boxer. At least 1.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:25 PM   #50
SuperLoad is on a distinguished road
SuperLoad's Tacoma Gallery
Definately...Great Dane
Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 PM   #51
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
small breed - Boston Terrier
larger breed - blue nose pit or doberman
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #53
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Australian Kelpie

Kelpie gets my vote, I have a jack Russel right now, he is 10. So i am getting a Kelpie for him to play with while i am at work. Kelpie are an extremely smart breed, but be ready to work with them, or it will either dig your yard full of holes, or just jump clean over it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Kelpie
Old 09-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #54
waynesworld will become famous soon enoughwaynesworld will become famous soon enough
Name: wayne
waynesworld's Tacoma Gallery
chocolate and yellow labs, that's what i have great companions good with kids.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #55
Hermit is on a distinguished road
Hermit's Tacoma Gallery
Best dogs I've had:
Belgian Shepard, (black variation of Malinois) - male, super-hyper. super-smart, mid-sized, herding/working dog. Was a pretty aggresive dog and quite protective. He was ultra cool, but high maintenance.
American Staffordshire (a pit bull sub-type) - female, brindle, mellow, fantastically friendly and lovable, but dog-aggresive - never had a better dog.

My buddy has a Dutch Sheppard and it is a tall, lean athlete with bl/grey brindle coloring. I've seen the dog run down a rabbit - not to hurt it - just for fun. It is a very nice sheppard breed with few genetic issues like hips, etc.. Nice height, length, and girth (like a med to lg GSB, but thinner - very nice breed.

Have to agree with "rescuing" a dog - especially during these tough times. If you want a certain breed you can find breed specific "rescue" websites. My friend got his Dutch Sheppard pup from such a place, and worked out great. Seen other sites for lots of different kinds of dogs.

I would get another Pit without hesitation. However, any breed that has been labeled as "aggressive/dangerous" (like the Pits) have a lot more liability, and a lot more bias against them - so be prepared if you are getting one of them.

Good Luck...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #56
tuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtuckr2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tuckr2's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, lots of great choices. Another lab is a good choice. Golden retriever is very intelligent, great with kids as are many others. Personally have english springer spaniels. I hunt but they also great make great pets as long as you can get them some exercise. Typically a bit smaller than a lab if thats any consideration.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #57
Club Soda Not Seals
Mush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shedMush Mouse is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: mush
Mush Mouse's Tacoma Gallery
I like Rhodesian Ridgeback,Bloodhound, Blue Tick or Redbone Coon/Fox hounds
Old 09-07-2010, 03:54 PM   #58
Wolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shedWolfman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Wolfman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
I'm looking at getting a pup pretty soon. I'm either wanting a husky/ malamute or a German shepard. I already have a yellow lab but I want another just to be my co-pilot :-). Any of y'all have advice or suggestions?

The answer to this question is, how do YOU live your life? How patient of a person are you? You want a breed of dog that will best match your personality and lifestyle. If you are impatient, you don't want a breed that is stubborn and difficult to train. Are you a couch potato? Then you don't want a hyper dog. You also need to check with your insurance company, and make sure that the breed of dog you are interested in is not on their black list. I have a Great Pyrenees as I wanted a dog that was quiet and laid back in the house, large enough to be a deterrent to those who would target my house with malicious intent, and have little desire to train beyond basic housebreaking and obedience.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #59
The One, The Only
da0023 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
da0023's Tacoma Gallery
go to the pound or shelter and rescue a dog.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #60
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
I've always loved German Shepard's.