Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What breed of dog should I get?

Old 09-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #61
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
get another lab!

i could never own anything but a yellow/white lab.
theyre the best dogs!
Old 09-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #62
madd_dogg is on a distinguished road
Name: Scott
madd_dogg's Tacoma Gallery
Brody

I might be a little biased but I love GSD's.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #63
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Simon says Dachshund
Honestly I like the quote below. Answer those tough questions first. Over the holiday weekend I puppy sat for a good friend & discovered I could not go through puppy hood again! Maybe foster a dog first to see what you think since its a huge decision. Best of luck in finding a companion for your lab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
The answer to this question is, how do YOU live your life? How patient of a person are you? You want a breed of dog that will best match your personality and lifestyle. If you are impatient, you don't want a breed that is stubborn and difficult to train. Are you a couch potato? Then you don't want a hyper dog. You also need to check with your insurance company, and make sure that the breed of dog you are interested in is not on their black list. I have a Great Pyrenees as I wanted a dog that was quiet and laid back in the house, large enough to be a deterrent to those who would target my house with malicious intent, and have little desire to train beyond basic housebreaking and obedience.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #64
Junior Senior Member
warpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud ofwarpwr has much to be proud of

Army: Motor Pool
Name: Vaughn
warpwr's Tacoma Gallery
I vote for GSD. Seems like a lot on here like them.
I've had them for years but the one I have now is getting pretty old. I already plan on replacing him with another.
I haven't locked the house up in years, I don't even know where the key is.
My other dog is a reservation dog of unknown breed and she is a perfect dog.
But then, ALL dogs are great in my opinion.
Kazar needs the ladder now, Maybelline is the mutt.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #65
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
I've had Mals, and as noted earlier, they're complete boneheads unitl they're 3 years old, and very independent minded (AKA tough to train). You need a securely fenced yard because they will run, and you'll need to keep them occupied 12-16 hours per day as they're maturing. Being a larger dog (my last female was 120# in fighting trim) they're sometimes shorter lived than some breeds. Weight control and dysplasia are common problems.
The best, smartest, and strongest dog I ever had was a Golden Retriever/Lab cross... and you gotta love that Labrador grin they get when they greet new people.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #66
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
boxer

get a boxer, i have 2 best dogs in the world
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #67
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
My current dog is a husky/german shepherd/border collie. Since you have the space I would say something like that. I've always had family with papered Malamutes, and they are a nightmare to train, and unless your ok with fencing in 22 acres, I would stay away from them. I love the dogs, but the are difficult.

The only issue I have with the breeds in my dog is his tendency to try and herd geese and seagulls on the river.

Whatever you decide to do, your are looking at some smart dogs, so good luck with training.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #68
brow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud ofbrow has much to be proud of

Name: Andy
brow's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and just a little side note on Malamutes, I once watched my cousins run down and kill a deer in deep snow. Apparently that is one wild instinct that was not breed out of that line.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #69
Dimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shedDimonback is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
Dimonback's Tacoma Gallery
I always said a Malemute was just a wolf with a pedigree.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #70
exwrx is on a distinguished road
exwrx's Tacoma Gallery
golden retriever!! mine is 3.5 years old and is just like having another person in the house with a great furry coat to pet!!
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #71
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
MadDog, those are awsome pictures!!! I want a GSD!!!!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #72
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
I think I decided to get a border collie. I went to a local rescue and fell in love with them.
I'm liking this guy.
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16104981

but damn this girl looks good to me too.
http://www.adoptapet.com/pet3699038.html
Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #73
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Get a Mutt. Go to a shelter, and find the ugliest dog there. Ods are, it will morph into the most beutiful dog you have ever owend.
x2. Well said!

Good choice on rescuing a dog. They are definitely the best friends you could have. You have two good options there.