Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

What breed of dog should I get?

Old 09-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
toy02ota's Tacoma Gallery
What breed of dog should I get?

I'm looking at getting a pup pretty soon. I'm either wanting a husky/ malamute or a German shepard. I already have a yellow lab but I want another just to be my co-pilot :-). Any of y'all have advice or suggestions?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Malamutes are difficult to train. They tend to be stubborn and they do best if you can keep them tired out. I've seen people put them in a harness and let them drag an old tire around the yard to tire them out and they love to be worked like that. They can be somewhat aggressive so socialization is important otherwise they become very protective.

Huskys are great dogs! They, like malamutes, prefer a colder climate. If you live in an area where it's hot most of the year, they won't be very active at all. They like to run and also like to pull things. They're easier to train than Malamutes so I'd recommend a Husky over a Malamute.

German Shepards are incredibly smart and will take to training in a similar fashion to your Lab. You need to keep them stimulated otherwise they'll end up training you or causing a lot of trouble.

All 3 are working dogs so you need to keep them occupied otherwise they'll find a job of their own to do (usually not a good thing). My co-pilot is a Chocolate Lab and would love to have another one. They're great dogs! Good luck!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
like a boss
middiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shedmiddiedefense is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Security
Name: Joe
middiedefense's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to middiedefense
Chesapeake Bay Retriever

Though I'm a lil bias. Also require alot of attention and work. Just a suggestion...
Old 09-06-2010, 08:26 AM   #5
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Bernese mtn dog! Only b/c I want one. But seriously, a husky is a great option. I had a husky/lab mix and it was an amazing dog and great personality.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Local TW dissenter
toy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoy02ota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester243 View Post
How much room do you have for them to run?
We live on 22 acres so the space isn't a problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Local TW dissenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
yep that is hi on the list
along with time you are available to take care of him/her

are you working/school.. if so is someone else going to take care of them?
and is that fair? who is going to do "poop patrol". feed and care,teach them?

and does it have to be a papered dog? lots of inbreeding have made defects in most breeds now so would require a bit of research and a knowing vet to help !
I do work but I do have time to keep up with my dog I have now. I am for sure going to do some research before I do anything.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #8
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
All good choices!!
My next dog will be a shepard!! So I said get one of those!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
Local TW dissenter

This is my baby muffin :-)
Attached Thumbnails
What breed of dog should I get?-imageuploadedbytapatalk.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
Tacoma with the TRI package
TRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRICOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tri
TRICOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRICOMA Send a message via MSN to TRICOMA
Of the two I would get the GSD. They are very easy to train and loyal. Of all breeds they would come 2nd behind Belgian Malinois.

They will shed a lot.

Good luck
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
What is this "search" you speak of?
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Andrew H's Tacoma Gallery
Get yourself an Akita. Do the research on them first to see if they fit your personality.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #13
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy02ota View Post
We live on 22 acres so the space isn't a problem.

Then the obvious answer is one of each
Old 09-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Andrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrew H is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Akita

Old 09-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Get a Mutt. Go to a shelter, and find the ugliest dog there. Ods are, it will morph into the most beutiful dog you have ever owend.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #16

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Get a Mutt. Go to a shelter, and find the ugliest dog there. Ods are, it will morph into the most beutiful dog you have ever owend.

x2

my mutt puppy at the humane society went from this the first day..

to this...

then to this...

to this..

sorry for showing off my dog. but mutts are the best. I thought he was going to turn out to be a floppy eared big fuzz ball that was dumb as a rock. boy was i wrong.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
newb
TacoMo510 is on a distinguished road

TacoMo510's Tacoma Gallery
get a pit! they are truly the best dogs.

i used to have nothing but german sheppards and they were great dogs, very smart. But after my first pit there was no going back.

just my .02
Old 09-06-2010, 09:43 AM   #18
Greg Graffin 2016
WhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhatThePho? is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andre
WhatThePho?'s Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to WhatThePho?
Get a Rhodesian Ridgeback.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #19
WTF
1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future1TUFFTRD has a brilliant future

1TUFFTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a boxer lover myself!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:51 AM   #20
primer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shedprimer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: T
primer's Tacoma Gallery
Definitely check out the shelters in your area. There's lot's of dogs that need homes. Often you can even find purebreds there - though they won't have papers. If you have trouble finding a breed you're looking for, check for a rescue organization in your area. Often times they will have several dogs of their particular breed that need homes.

My rescue dog:

Heeler cross.

p