Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Gardening forums?

Old 09-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
see that chumps! the ladies love a man who is self sufficient. how many of you have gotten invites to hang out with TW's fairer sex?
Don't get too carried away there...

Quote:
ooh! and we can lay around topless having pillow fights too! gardening is awesome
Nope, not happening. One word...SUNBURN!!! Too dangerous, not worth the risk.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyman89 View Post
I can think of worse things than hanging with the girls.
Hmmmm...still trying to decide if I/we should be insulted by this comment...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #23
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
Don't get too carried away there...

Nope, not happening. One word...SUNBURN!!! Too dangerous, not worth the risk.
fine, but will you make me a sammich?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #24

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
fine, but will you make me a sammich?

Sure...how 'bout a BLT? Let me know when I can get the lettuce & tomato from the garden...
Old 09-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #25
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure...how 'bout a BLT? Let me know when I can get the lettuce & tomato from the garden...
i love me some BLT
Old 09-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #26
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Big Ladies Titties....MMMM MMMM Good
Old 09-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #27
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
see that chumps! the ladies love a man who is self sufficient. how many of you have gotten invites to hang out with TW's fairer sex?
Never said they didnt. Many Women have gay male friends to hang out with. You'll fit right in. And WTF is an Okra?
Old 09-08-2010, 01:08 PM   #28
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #29
Roll Tide
HondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shedHondaGM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
HondaGM's Tacoma Gallery
maybe chris can fabricate a 4.0 tiller for you
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
Im sure he's gonna use this stuff:

Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #31

MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Never said they didnt. Many Women have gay male friends to hang out with. You'll fit right in. And WTF is an Okra?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
amazing how cmack joins the thread immediately after such a comment. highly suspicious if you ask me...
Old 09-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #32

Quote:
amazing how cmack joins the thread immediately after such a comment. highly suspicious if you ask me...
Yeah.....
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #33
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wha?
I was just getting some popcorn so I could watch as people say various tips on gardening
Old 09-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #34
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
An Okra is a big-mouthed talk-show host.

(oh shit, here it goes) I get where ND is coming from (I think, but he is a slippery character). He wishes to master his domain. He has sufficiently appeased the Grill Gods, and now, as he surveys his property, he has an irresistable desire to learn about what he possesses and shape it to his will and truly own it. And perhaps suckle upon the fruit which it doth produce. So to speak. And further appease the Grill Gods by making offerings from his labor, or some shit like that.

Hell, for the past few years, my "gardening" has been all ditch digging, irrigation installing, water main replacing, path building, gate-and-fence-making, boulder moving, and concrete pouring. After you do all that, you want something nice to look at and good to eat (and maybe some camoflage). I only got to the veggie garden last year. Homegrown tomatoes beat all.

Tear it up, ND!
Old 09-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #35

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
okra, is one of the greatest things to ever come out of the south. it is amazing sauteed or fried or pickled. soooooo good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGM View Post
actually i'm in desperate need of a lawn tractor (no, not a shitty riding mower, and not a tractor, a lawn tractor), maybe chris can fab one of those up for me. if not, i'd definitely take a 4.0 tiller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
An Okra is a big-mouthed talk-show host.

(oh shit, here it goes) I get where ND is coming from (I think, but he is a slippery character). He wishes to master his domain. He has sufficiently appeased the Grill Gods, and now, as he surveys his property, he has an irresistable desire to learn about what he possesses and shape it to his will and truly own it. And perhaps suckle upon the fruit which it doth produce. So to speak. And further appease the Grill Gods by making offerings from his labor, or some shit like that.

Hell, for the past few years, my "gardening" has been all ditch digging, irrigation installing, water main replacing, path building, gate-and-fence-making, boulder moving, and concrete pouring. After you do all that, you want something nice to look at and good to eat (and maybe some camoflage). I only got to the veggie garden last year. Homegrown tomatoes beat all.

Tear it up, ND!
well, i've always worked with my hands. my first job was landscaping, then construction, painting houses, etc etc... but in recent years, with my sedentary office job, i've found myself whiter and fatter than ever. i need a good outdoor hobby, and since i have always enjoyed planting and landscaping, and i have an absolute obsession with veggies, i figure i may as well start a garden. plus, it will be something fun my fiance and i can do together. i find it rewarding to see stuff start to sprout and actually be able to eat the things i grow. (currently i grow peppers and tomatoes on the side porch in my herb garden, but dont have enough room for a true garden). additionally, my fiance and i are definitely "foodies" (fortunately she's a healthy one) and we love cooking with fresh herbs and veggies, but not only are the good ones expensive, nothing beats food picked straight from the vine.

besides, what else am i gonna do? sit in front of the TV and veg? i didn't get a plot in the country so i can sit indoors and waste away. right now my main concern is deer. i have found their tracks, and can see the path they've cut through the woods by walking back and forth. they use my yard as a cut through. right now my primary concern is figuring out the easiest and most effective way to keep critters out of my garden.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #36
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
right now my main concern is deer. i have found their tracks, and can see the path they've cut through the woods by walking back and forth. they use my yard as a cut through. right now my primary concern is figuring out the easiest and most effective way to keep critters out of my garden.
Claymores, overlapping fields of fire...

I don't have that problem, but I have seen some stuff you can spray that is basically mountain lion piss, putrefied egg solids, garlic, and bloodmeal or something like that. Smells like death and fear. Not sure how well it works, but worth experimenting as a perimeter spray.

Another approach is deer-proof plants, wherever you can/want to use them. The ag extension should be able to provide a list of plants that work in our neck of the woods.

Fencing out of the question? Or fencing or hedging just certain areas?

My biggest problem is rats and squirrels and birds beating the shit out of my tomatoes. I am going to have to build a steel cage next year...
Old 09-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #37

For keeping critters out of the yard, I find a random mix of PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, Mobil 10w-30, Stabil, and a little bit of Ant killer mixed with some shit called "Total Kill" works well......Im sure this is not an EPA approved process.......Hmmm........
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #38
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Do you get regular rainfall there? I can help you with details on setting up a drip irrigation or sprinkler system!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #39

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Claymores, overlapping fields of fire...

I don't have that problem, but I have seen some stuff you can spray that is basically mountain lion piss, putrefied egg solids, garlic, and bloodmeal or something like that. Smells like death and fear. Not sure how well it works, but worth experimenting as a perimeter spray.

Another approach is deer-proof plants, wherever you can/want to use them. The ag extension should be able to provide a list of plants that work in our neck of the woods.

Fencing out of the question? Or fencing or hedging just certain areas?

My biggest problem is rats and squirrels and birds beating the shit out of my tomatoes. I am going to have to build a steel cage next year...
yeah, i've found something called "deer off" that is suppose to work, but i want to make sure it doesn't have any predator urine in it. we have outside cats and we dont want to attract anything thta might eat them into our yard. i'm looking into plants and i've heard hanging heavily scented soap around the perimeter works to a degree. i'd like to put up a fence just not sure i'll be able to right away. as for birds, we use to have a row of massive blueberry bushes. just make two or three large upper case 'T's and hang some netting over it. easy and cheap. i've heard it works for deer too but our garden area is gonna be to big to net
Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 AM   #40

nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For keeping critters out of the yard, I find a random mix of PB Blaster, Liquid wrench, Mobil 10w-30, Stabil, and a little bit of Ant killer mixed with some shit called "Total Kill" works well......Im sure this is not an EPA approved process.......Hmmm........
Chris, i need to commission you to build a motion detector golf ball launcher turret. it be really nice if you could figure out a way to set the golf balls on fire before they shoot out though. lets put the fear of God in those deer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Do you get regular rainfall there? I can help you with details on setting up a drip irrigation or sprinkler system!
we get decent rain fall (too much during some times of the year) but either way i'll be looking into a decent sprinkler system.