1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Warning...........Narcotics check point ahead!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by surfsupl, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Sep 17, 2010 at 3:58 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Returning from a trip along one of our nation’s most highly trafficked interstates, I-20, I happened across this foreboding sign. I didn’t have any bud on me at the time, but if you’re anything like me, you usually take a few bowls with you on road trips. Almost instinctively, I pulled over.
    [​IMG]
    I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. They were going to shut down the entire interstate to check for suspicious vehicles and persons, as if crossing into Louisiana were crossing the Mexican border? Bienvenue en Louisiane, indeed.
    After snapping a few shots of the sign, I pulled back onto the highway, ready to take additional pictures once I arrived at the checkpoint. However, the checkpoint never surfaced. Now I understand why:
    The local sheriff’s office had established the signs as a “ruse” to direct motorists to exit off the highway after viewing the warning of the upcoming DUI/Narcotics checkpoint. In fact, there was no checkpoint further down I-40. Instead, the sheriff set up a checkpoint at the end of the ramp of the first exit available to motorists after the posted signs, an exit not frequently used since no services were offered at the exit.
    Isn’t that some bullshit?
    Here’s another quote from the same court case, expressing the court’s distrust of Narcotics Interdiction Checkpoints. The court explains what we already know — how easily these stops can be abused by officers.
    A pretextual roadblock has pitfalls that come perilously close to permitting unfettered government intrusion on the privacy interests of all motorists.
    We believe that the danger inherent in pretextual roadblocks is the potential for giving police the authority to stop every car on the road, question its driver and passengers under the guise of a legitimate traffic related purpose, and then claim enough reasonable suspicion through, for example, the driver’s expression or answers, to conduct a more thorough search of the stopped individuals and vehicles for drugs with insufficient limitations on police discretion.
    So, if you’re looking to take a trip anytime soon, take heed of the map below and, if you see one of these signs, don’t fucking exit. Want more specifics on these checkpoints? Follow the link over to Barry Cooper’s blog.
    [​IMG]

2. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :rofl: I'd just be pissed cause they slowed me down.... Have enough of that going through AZ and Texas for illegals.

I say that's what you get if you carry the stuff around with you.

3. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    I think thats freakin genius. If you have drugs, take drugs you are accepting the risk of being caught so it is what it is. Dont get upset that the cops are doing there job in a very effective way....

4. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    ST77

ST77 Wandering doesn't mean you're lost

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Sandy, Or
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    Bone Stock
    Damn!:eek: Texas is a hot spot!:laugh:

5. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    Tilt

Tilt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyle
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    In between Tacomas at the moment.
    That's freak'n AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!

Good for them.

6. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    That is pretty funny actually, glad I don't go to Texas looks like they have signs on every exit !! :eek::eek::eek:

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    lol thats awesome

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
    ...everything is bigger in Texas.

9. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    if this upsets you maybe you should stop transporting drugs!

10. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    The Mushroom Capital of the World
    It's funny how people who are doing illegal shit bitch about how unfair getting caught (or in this case potentially getting caught) is. Good for the PoPo.

As far as this giving them the right to stop every vehicle on the roadway. If they want to stop you they can find a legitimate reason as it stands.

11. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    That's bullshit. So much for land of the free. Instead of going after the real problem drugs, the real life destroyers like heroin and meth, we waste tax dollars and cop hours, and drag out the dogs to catch people with a few grams of dried plant. But I bet you can get your oxycontin and Robitussin through. Fucking neo-prohibitionist police state. Follow the money people. It's all about power and cash.

12. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:41 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I guess erosion of freedoms is okay with you then?

13. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    How is that an erosion of freedom? Narcotics are illegal.

14. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Well, you can get pissed all you want to, but the courts have ruled it legal.

I'm kinda 50/50 on this, it sure does help crack down on drugs and people who shouldn't be driving. But at the same time, I don't like the fact that they can stop you for no reason and ask for I.D. and everything else.

In this day and age, the Police need all of the advantages to help fight all of the crime we have nowadays.
    I'm cool with these stops, if you don't have anything illegal in your car, you have nothing to worry about.
    But only cool with it as long as they don't do it too much.

15. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Exactly how does wasting our tax dollars incarcerating nonviolent offenders make the world a better place? Something is broken with that logic my friend.

16. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    they are not making it a better place for all of us by pulling over normal people that smoke a little weed. i know its illegal and i dont smoke it but i really dont think that it should be such a big deal to waste so much time and effort on that. even tho that is a pretty good little trick i must admit

the only thing im really pissed about is why are there none of these on the border of mexico???? come on if you wanna find drugs why dont you go to the source and put away the real bad guys?

17. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:45 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Oh are they? Might want to check with your doctor on that one.

18. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    MountainEarth

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    EXACTLY. There's zero logic at work here.

19. Sep 17, 2010 at 5:49 PM
    JDMcQ

JDMcQ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    OK, non-prescription narcotics are illegal. Is that better, or do I need to list all of the illegal narcotics, perhaps a spreadsheet with columns for illegal and non-illegal, I can highlight things like medicinal marijuana and others that used to be illegal, but you can now get with a prescription. The could be charts and everything!

20. Sep 17, 2010 at 6:02 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    all im saying that if your all over the road or driving erratically or anything crazy like that you should be pulled over. but i think if your doing everything right and not causing any problems and driving on roads paid for by your tax dollars that you should be left alone by the people you pay with your tax dollars so they can spend their time doing something that is really gonna help someone somewhere a little more

Products Discussed in

To Top