1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Comparing Rise in Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PhoenixCadet, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Jul 17, 2008 at 7:27 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    So, as a kid who's only been on this earth for 16 short years, I've got a question for you older folks on the board (no offense intended :p).

Gas has hit record highs currently, though, in doing some research, this isn't the only time this has happend. From what I've seen, this has happend in the late 60's (during the Six-Day War), the 70's (OAPEC and the Yom Kippur War) and the early 90's (brief period during the Gulf War).

My question to you is this:

In your opinion, how does this compare to the previous spikes in oil prices? (Other than the obvious, that oil is now at it's higest-recorded price in history.) I mean this in the sense of speculation, downsizing in the auto industry, how long it lasted, etc, etc.

What do you think will come of this? (Do you think it'll blow over soon? In a couple years? Or are these prices here to stay - or even get worse?)

Note: This is not being used for any type of research / class, etc. - I'm simply curious.

2. Jul 17, 2008 at 7:57 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I'm 3 years older than you, but if you look back at the 70's crisis crap, we went from making muscle cars (every american co had at least one) to little econoboxes. some of the muscle cars lived through it, others didnt (what happened to mopars in the late 70s?) Designs went to shit for pretty much all cars.

Today there are a lot of brand new/up coming performance cars (Acura is making a new NSX, BMW's M line, Audi's S line, Z06/ZR1, Nissan GTR/spec V, AMG Black line, 997 GT2, GT3, and Turbo, etc.) Many of these cars are probably going to get killed by regulations from the Gov't (CAFE) so we're going to be focusing on economical cars again. Then when it's all over (I don't see gas prices going down that much, just people getting accustomed to them) there will be more performance cars coming out.

Products Discussed in

To Top