Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Swimming lessons

View Poll Results: How many of you know how to swim?
Know how to swim 135 95.74%
Don't know how to swim 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #41
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
I'm like a fish in the water...grew up around it. OP it's all about spending a bunch of time in it. The more you do it, the better it gets. Good luck with your lessons!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #42
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I just think it's awesome that you are taking on something that you've had a fear of all of your life.

The main thing is just keep doing it so your comfort level continues to rise. Water is something you want to maintain that perfect "balance"...you want to respect it, but be comfortable in it.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #43
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
i can swim just fine, but ever since i was in indoc i have no desire to go to the pool...haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8XVLcEWChk
Old 10-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #44
Adrenaline Addict
Mx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMx SuperFly 25 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mx SuperFly 25's Tacoma Gallery
nothing like the training tank
Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #45
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx SuperFly 25 View Post
nothing like the training tank
what's that?

that's vid does nothing to show off indoc... it was the best i could find on youtube
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #47
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw View Post
alrighty i will remember the warning so when you comin down here?
Why didn't you offer lessons to the OP too?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM   #48
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawke88 View Post
swimming is for knuckle children

i call them throat babies
Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #50
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Spent every weekend of my younger years on Lake Erie.

I have a 3 year old and I've started in on the "She needs to take swimming lessons, she has to know how to swim."
Old 10-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #51
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

I have a 3 year old and I've started in on the "She needs to take swimming lessons, she has to know how to swim."
Best thing you could do for her. I wish my parents would have sent me to swim lessons when I was a kid. Kids are naturally fearless, then somewhere along the way common sense kicks in and you're screwed. That's my problem.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #52
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post

You-sir-are a genius. It's sad- but in my line of work I've "met" several folks who could have gone home to see their families had they learned some basic water safety and a couple of swimming strokes...but insted ended up dieing near shore or other help because they couldn't help them selves and they were alone or without other folks who couldn't help them.

(Had a case a few months back where a child fell in the water...Dad (a non swimmer as well) went in after child. Saves child but drowns himself. That's about the worst way to go down that I can think of.

(Sorry to all be a downer 'n shit....But water saftey is a pretty big thing for me...)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #53
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
i was on the swim team for 11 years when i was younger and set a state record (for my age group) in breast stroke (which has since been beaten ) but my number one piece of advice.... float. there's nothing to be afraid of when all you have to do is relax and you'll float on top of the water. you may fear water now but get comfortable in it and there is no place better in teh world. WATER FTMFW!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #54
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
You-sir-are a genius. It's sad- but in my line of work I've "met" several folks who could have gone home to see their families had they learned some basic water safety and a couple of swimming strokes...but insted ended up dieing near shore or other help because they couldn't help them selves and they were alone or without other folks who couldn't help them.

(Had a case a few months back where a child fell in the water...Dad (a non swimmer as well) went in after child. Saves child but drowns himself. That's about the worst way to go down that I can think of.

(Sorry to all be a downer 'n shit....But water saftey is a pretty big thing for me...)
my parents put me on the neighborhood swim team when i was 5 and i've been a fish ever since. its smart for parents to get their kids to learn to swim. its way easier than riding a bike, not knowing how to ride a bike wont kill you, not knowing how to swim can.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #55
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Been surfin since 1975 but don't know how to swim. Thank goodness for leashes.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #56
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery

I admire the OP for admitting and doing something that he is a bit anxious or has fear about. This is how you build character & tenacity ... i.e. doing things that you do NOT want to do or things that you entail fear and/or anxiety.

Just take it one step and a time, learn the basics and progress from there and practice, practice, practice ... and you can be a rescue swimmer someday on Brunes' chopper. ...

Plus, it may save your life or someone else one day.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #57
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Had a swimming class this evening. I am slowly learning ho wto swim... Swimming is hard... That is all I have to say.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #58
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSHeloPilot View Post

I admire the OP for admitting and doing something that he is a bit anxious or has fear about. This is how you build character & tenacity ... i.e. doing things that you do NOT want to do or things that you entail fear and/or anxiety.

Just take it one step and a time, learn the basics and progress from there and practice, practice, practice ... and you can be a rescue swimmer someday on Brunes' chopper. ...

Plus, it may save your life or someone else one day.

I have always had a fear of water and I would usually get really cold... That is normal for most of us the cold part. I have been in the pool twice this last week. My body is getting use to the water as well. This is a personal goal as well as doing something hard. I love challenges! I have always been that way. I always try to challenge myself daily. Challenge myself to talk to cute girls. Hahaha.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #59
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I voted can swim. But actually kinda hate it. I went scuba diving, and i really enjoyed that. But just normally swimming, not for me.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #60
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I don't really enjoy swimming , but I am less fond of drowning .