1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone in local/state/fed law enforcement?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by PhoenixCadet, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jul 26, 2008 at 10:55 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    So, after wanting to be in the Marines for almost all of my life, I just found out I'll have to lay that dream to rest. I've got two medical conditions that disqualify me from service in the military. The sad part is - it's simply due to precaution. I can function just as well as anyone else who would be in.

Now that I know that won't be possible, I've been looking at some other possibilites in law enforcement. I've looked at anything from local, state to federal agencies. Given that I've still got two years of high school left - I still like to research this kind of thing. I'm also debating on whether I want to stay living where I am now, or move to the NYC/North Jersey area. I say this because, if my education plan plays out as I want it, I'm going to get my general education done here, then the degree-specifc stuff done at a criminal justice college in NYC. Depending on whether or not I like it there would determine if I stay there.

With that said, I wanted to see what those here involved in LE have to say. As I said, I'm not sure whether I want to go local, state, federal, etc. There are a ton of organizations that interest me.

Of all the research I've done, I've pretty much summed up a list of federal and local organizations (in both areas I'm looking at living). If anyone has any personal experience (other than being arrested by them :D) - I'd love to hear it!

Federal
    Federal Bureau of Investigation
    Immigration & Customs Enforcement
    United States Border Patrol

DoD
    Defense Criminal Investigative Service
    Including all subordinate service's investigative services - e.g. Army & Marine CID's, AFOSI, NCIS, etc.).

Local (San Diego)
    San Diego Police Department
    San Diego Harbor Police
    San Diego County Sheriffs Department

Local (NYC / North Jersey)
    New York Police Department
    Port Authority Police Department of NJ-NJ

I realize it's a big list, but I know we've got a few LEO's here who'd have at least a bit of knowledge. Thanks all!

2. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:04 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    For a young kid like yourself you sure have your head on straight and know what you want. its always good to have a back up plan like yourself law inforcement is always good my buddies that did the time in the marine corp went straight to being a cop i say stay in school go to college and get that degree!

3. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:08 AM
    PhoenixCadet

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Oh, I plan to - and I plan on getting an advanced degree, too. :)

My hopeful plan in the education area right now is getting my two years of general ed done here in San Diego at one of the universities here (UCSD, SDSU or USD), then going on to John Jay College of Criminal Justice in NYC to get my bachelors. My masters (when that happens, hopefully) will either be at John Jay or back at San Diego State (they offer a pretty cool M.S. in Homeland Security program).

I wouldn't not go for college.

4. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:14 AM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Cool im 27 and barely getting a degree wish i would have stayed in school and been in my profession for a while but shit comes up. Good luck to you man sdsu is nice the wife went there.

5. Jul 27, 2008 at 7:12 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    im in LE...but not in any of those depts that you listed...

i work for a local jurisdiction...been there a little over a year now...i DONT have a degree in Criminal Justice...but i DO have a degree...its in business...i realized shortly after college that i dont like wearing a tie everyday...i LOVE being in LE...

if i were you...id do at least thru my bachelors degree...then start applying to different depts and maybe researching to see if any will assist you in achieving the masters degree...

apply to ALL departments that youre interested in...see what kind of benefits they offer...the big reason i chose the dept im working for is because of my hours and my fringe benefits such as what my uniform consists of...what i have to pay for...take home car etc...

the take home car is a HUGE benefit...and if you can find a dept that still allows it with gas prices as they are...thats a def plus...

i've put MAYBE 5000 miles on my truck since ive gotten the take home car...i save sooo much money that way...

on top of that...a lot of local level stuff allows you to find really cheap places to live...you can get apartments for big discounts or even free if you do security work on the side for them...also a huge help if youre trying to save money to buy a house or something like that...

like i said tho...thats down here...up there i dont know how shit works...

do your homework and find the dept that fits you and your needs the best

6. Jul 27, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    We have a border patrol office in my area and they live pretty good and get all the new toys, 4x4's, boats and aircraft, looks like they could do anything they want.

7. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM
    mkilleen34

mkilleen34 Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    TRD - Off-Road
    FBI...if that is what you want do not get a degree in Criminal Justice. They are looking for people with a degree in psychology or something in that matter...best if you get ahold of them and speak to them directly.

As for NYPD....they are now paying better than what the have...but do not ignore New York State Police. They get great pay and benefits. If that is important with a good job. Last time I checked they pay 55,000 while in the academy and when you graduate you get a raise to 66,000.

My advice is to test...test...test...even if it isn't the job you necessarily want. Getting you foot in the door will lead you to the right job.

8. Jul 27, 2008 at 12:47 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    San Diego Sheriffs do pretty well (A friend of mine is scheduled to start the academy in August). They have a great retirement (you can get your full pay at retirement if you have enough years in). You'll go in with more money if you have a degree. They also have two tracks: prisons and patrol. Patrol is harder to get into but it pays better. The academy for prisons is shorter too. You can transfer between them but you'd have to go through the patrol academy if you got in via the prison track.

Does your medical condition allow you to run? I know in the academy, she'll have to be able to run 3 miles. They also have a fitness test (not too demanding) and medical exam that you have to pass before you can join.

If you go with a federal agency (aka, the FBI) you'll need a degree and high grades and you'll have to relocate from where you join (based on the needs of the FBI). Retirement is not as good for federal services as the local sheriffs (it's the Federal Government plan: 1% of your pay for every year you work based on the average of the highest three years).

Remember there's CHP too. And like what was mentioned above, if you get rejected by one, keep trying the others. It's odd but people have been known to be accepted by one after being rejected by another.

9. Jul 27, 2008 at 1:25 PM
    PhoenixCadet

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    That's no problem for me. As I said, I can function just as well as the next guy in any of these areas.

I appreciate the info, everyone!

10. Jul 28, 2008 at 6:46 AM
    Burns

Burns Excellent Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB Off-Road
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.0", Wheelers 1.5" AAL, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination AT2's
    NJ state police pay well you need a 4 year degree. (that and you get to drive up and down the local tunrpike and parkway at the speed of light.)
    My cousin just retired from the NYPD. I think you need a 2 year degree and/or military service. You also need to be a resident of NY state.

11. Jul 30, 2008 at 11:03 PM
    Clelsdah

Clelsdah Western Alliance: Yeehaw Division

Member:
    No California Foothills
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4
    Bed mat, tube steps, Ipod interface, Ride-rite air springs
    First of all thanks for your desire to serve. America needs warriors like you to protect us. As far as where, California has the highest paid public safety workers and one of the best retirement systems ("3%@50/55=3%of your salary for each year of service at age 50/55). Law enforcement is a thankless profession primarily dealing with an overwhelming difficult population of our society. The desire to serve must be strong knowing this. As a firefighter I have the utmost respect for LE, we don't go in until LE has secured questionable scenes. I would much rather go into a burning building than face someone that may or may not hold a weapon capable of killing me instantly. I considered a career in LE but found the schedule, working conditions, overall satisfaction of the fire service must more agreeable for me. My LE friends are jealous of my schedule and laugh when I show up with them and the suspect that was verbally abusing them, calls me "sir", thanking me for the help. For an "objective" look about the differences of LE vs Fire check out http://www.policemanvsfireman.com/ Check out the "Webisodes"

With all that said finish High School first and live your life knowing that careers in public safety require extensive background checks and lie detectors tests. Live a life you are proud to tell, take all the job tests you can, and don't give up. The earlier you start the earlier you retire.

Products Discussed in

To Top