Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

1st gen iphone vs 3g iphone

Old 07-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
1st gen iphone vs 3g iphone

Ok so besides the obvious difference no 3g vs with 3g what are some of the pros & cons between the different iphones?

The reason im wondering is bc a guy i know is selling his old iphone w/ the 2.0 update for 150 bucks because he is getting a new 3g iphone. i just dont want to buy it and then kick myself in the ass later because it was a dumb move.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Gringo Bandito
tcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shedtcBob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
tcBob's Tacoma Gallery
the 3g is smaller/thinner by a few mm. also has GPS, better speakers, flush mount headphone jack, and maybe something else i'm not remembering. the biggest upgrade (other than the 3g) is the free software update which the 1st gen supports.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought a 3g, and frankly the 3g is the biggest feature. If you're in an area with AT&T 3g coverage, web surfing and other data services are much faster. The first gens are limited to the EDGE data network. The iPhone 3g falls back to EDGE if not in an area of 3g coverage.

Practically speaking, you'll pay about $15 more per month on an equivalent low end plan for the 3g than the 1st gen.

I had strongly considered finding somebody unloading their 1st gen instead of buying the 3g myself. However, the up-front cost for the 3g is only $200. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a 1st gen myself, and considering how much it's up-front cost was, the owners have a hard time letting them go that low.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I just bought a 3g, and frankly the 3g is the biggest feature. If you're in an area with AT&T 3g coverage, web surfing and other data services are much faster. The first gens are limited to the EDGE data network. The iPhone 3g falls back to EDGE if not in an area of 3g coverage.

Practically speaking, you'll pay about $15 more per month on an equivalent low end plan for the 3g than the 1st gen.

I had strongly considered finding somebody unloading their 1st gen instead of buying the 3g myself. However, the up-front cost for the 3g is only $200. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a 1st gen myself, and considering how much it's up-front cost was, the owners have a hard time letting them go that low.
Do they still lack voice-activated dialing? That was a non-starter for me with the 1st gen.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrjohnson View Post
Do they still lack voice-activated dialing? That was a non-starter for me with the 1st gen.
That is still missing. I can understand the need for it in states that have passed cell phone driving laws. However, I'm not finding the lack to be an issue. There's a 'favorites' screen accessible by double-tapping the Home button. Once I'm on the favorites screen, it's a single tap to call any of those contacts.