Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Pre-collision Systems

Old 04-12-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Pre-collision Systems

Currently found on a few vehicles from Mercedes-Benz and Lexus, these sense a collision before it happens and take action to warn the driver and maximize the safety of all the car's occupants. It detects vehicles in front and can sound an alarm and display warning lights. The system then takes preventive steps such as fully charging the brakes and air bags, closing windows, adjusting seat positions for optimal air-bag effectiveness, and activating safety-belt pretensioners. An advanced pre-collision system in the Lexus LS600h L will detect pedestrians and animals on the road as well as other vehicles. And a camera will watch if the driver is not looking ahead at potential road hazards and sound an alert to get his attention if it senses an impending collision.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 AM   #2
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
The Volvo S80 as these features too.. I've been seeing their commercial on TV.. Pretty sweet rides!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Mercedes piloted the active awareness program on their S-Series sedans beginning in 2005. They also have adaptive cruise control that uses radar to "see" vehicles in its path. As the S approaches the other vehicle the Cruise Control will slow the car down...

Sounds to me like they are making fewer excuses for idiots - "...well, I didn't know he was that close!"

Pay attention when you drive, or don't drive at all.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
it's all about me
Ldytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to beholdLdytaco05 is a splendid one to behold

Ldytaco05's Tacoma Gallery
we have that in the mercedes awesome feature
Old 04-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
coreyredken is on a distinguished road

coreyredken's Tacoma Gallery
They are awesome features... but they are also computer ran... just think about what might or could happen if peoplel rely to much on those features and then oneday... hmmmmmmmmm they didn't work.. I've been in the PC world enough to know that you dont' always rely on such objects as a computer... because they can and do let you down... ahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 AM   #6
sak3358 is on a distinguished road

sak3358's Tacoma Gallery
With all those features.........well......why you driving in the first place? My pre-collision feature is the left pedal (middle pedal for you without auto trans) and situational awareness.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyredken View Post
They are awesome features... but they are also computer ran... just think about what might or could happen if peoplel rely to much on those features and then oneday... hmmmmmmmmm they didn't work.. I've been in the PC world enough to know that you dont' always rely on such objects as a computer... because they can and do let you down... ahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaa
That is what scares me about some people driving. Plus, you are right about computers. I work on a large network of automation, data, and control systems everyday. There is rarely a day goes by that something (however small) doesn't work.

I had a 93' Acura Legend V6 Auto. The computer on the tranny failed (never figured out why). I was going down the highway at 70 MPH, and it slipped down two gears. It tore up the tranny all up and down and the mounts for the engine as well. I haven't driven automatics since then until now. My wife's Rav4 is Auto. I am just fearful of the day it fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sak3358 View Post
With all those features.........well......why you driving in the first place? My pre-collision feature is the left pedal (middle pedal for you without auto trans) and situational awareness.
Exactly my point! If you have to rely on computers to keep you from doing something stupid, dangerous, or destructive, then stay off the road! Otherwise, pay attention and use caution. I would love to go a whole week without seeing an accident on the roads.