1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

confederate flag

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by beastlytaco, Jul 31, 2008.

?

do you believe the confederate flag is a symbol of racism

1. yes it is

20 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. no it is not

55 vote(s)
    48.7%
  3. i dont care about some stupid flag

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. i dont know what the rebel flag is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. its a thing of past history that should be left in the past

19 vote(s)
    16.8%
  6. its the best way for a southerner to show his pride for his southern state

22 vote(s)
    19.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    okay so i know there was some heated debates between people about the confederate flag so ill be the first to start it. do you believe it is or is not a symbol of racism?

2. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
  3. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    It's not a symbol of Racism.

Most of the people who view it as such (from my experience) have little to no knowledge about the history of said flag. The thing they know about it is that it was a flag from the Confederacy and thus it must be an evil flag flown by hate filled southern racists. This is not the truth. The only other argument I have heard on how the confederate flag is racist is that groups such as the KKK have used the flag in their "meetings/demonstrations". One thing I would like to point out to those people is that the KKK also uses American Flags as well as signs of Christianity.

4. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:58 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah probly. but in light of the recent events i thought a revisitation might be handy

5. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
  6. Jul 31, 2008 at 10:59 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    OUCH! This thread isn't going to last. Tcbob has already banned the confederate flag on this forum. I'd watch it if I were you guys.

7. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    oh well i meant for this to be a civilized and respectable debate. i DONT want people attacking each other about it.

8. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:01 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    can i vote neither?

i dont like saying the word heritage when in reference to this flag...however i feel like it represents the same thing that our very own American Flag represents...a group of like minded people who want to govern ourselves...i dont care who says what or what you believe...that war was fought over states rights...

we wanted the right to govern ourselves and make the decisions that were right for our state...even if it meant slavery or no slavery...

to be clear...i absolutely agree that slavery in any way shape or form is wrong...as well as discrimination of any kind due to race sex etc...

the lack of knowledge about the flags etc is incredible...people pin all this hatred on a Confederate flag, but not all of them...and not even always the correct one...

9. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:03 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    well thats the kind of debating i had in mind

10. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:07 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Who here thinks that the current SC flag is racist?
    [​IMG]

no one?

Hmm...well...its the same flag that we flew over Fort Sumter when we seceded from the Union

11. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    looks like a tree and a cresent moon to any uneducated person

12. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:18 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    I think the flag debate rages hotter in my state than anywhere else in the country currently...

A little background on the issue...in the 1970's a Confederate Battle Flag was raised above our State House dome below the American and State flags...it was not intended to be a permanent fixture, but became one for whatever reason. Recently, the NAACP began starting boycotts that include any NCAA championship events from being held in our state until the CBF was removed from the dome. During the arguments in our state govt about this, a compromise was reached and the flag was moved from the dome to the already existant Confederate Soldier memorial on the state house grounds. The NAACP boycotts were not ended, and even more recently they have begun to argue that the flag should not even be flying at the monument. It turns out that this monument is actually at one of the single most visible spots on the grounds. It is directly at the end of Main St. in downtown Columbia.

I think that IF the flag is going to be flown outdoors and not in a museum, then this is the appropriate place for it. It is part of our history, however dark and twisted that may be, and theres no more historical place in this city than our very own state house. As many of you know, General Sherman marched on this city during his campaign, and it eventually burned, though some argue not at the hands of Sherman's men. Our state house took 6 direct shots from a cannon and was partially burned down. There are monuments and memorials all over those grounds and across the river where the cannons were. We still use a couple buildings that were once used to process cotton and as confederate printing presses.

All of this at one time stood for the CSA...and that flag flew above mens and boys heads as they marched out against seemingly impossible odds to defend their right to govern themselves.

I wont display one on my truck, my house, my webpage, anywhere like that...i believe that it shouldnt be viewed as a racist symbol, though, like everything else, extremists have ruined the image of.

13. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:26 AM
    JimBeam

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra

to be fair...its actually just a crescent...not a crescent moon

theres no real clear source as to where the crescent came from, though its thought to symbolize defensive prowess...several prominent families from Charleston also had crescents in their previous coats of arms. Charlston troops were carrying a blue banner with 3 crescents on them at one point in the 1770s prior to the creation of the current flag

its placement would indicate a moon, however its used on several flags and placed in several places in various directions

14. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    I don't give a #$%^ one way or the other as long as you keep it out of the joke section. :deadhorse:

15. Jul 31, 2008 at 11:41 AM
    Justin626

Justin626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport DC Super White
    Toytec 3" w/ AAL, N-Fab Nerf Bars, Lightforce 170mm Strikers, N-Fab Light Bar, Metra Ipod Adapter, Scosche Auto Start
    IMO it is not a sign of racism, but I know there are people out there that use it to convey the fact that they are.

16. Jul 31, 2008 at 12:24 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    that flag i see to you southern guys may have its heritage behind it, but here in san diego you get young kids that dont know what that flag means and i have seen used as hatred and it ends up giving that flag a bad rep been through that situation thats why i dont like the flag. but it doesnt hurt me none. just dont make a scene with it and make racial comments.

17. Jul 31, 2008 at 12:25 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    this is indeed true. people have used the flag as a source of racism. however, i view the flag just as a piece of history. i love history. World history. american history. ancient to early aztec history. all are important to rembering the past. however i feel that it is important not to relive the past over and over again

18. Jul 31, 2008 at 12:31 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    just my opinion......but people need to quit living in the past!! sure, some made the flag a racial thing:rolleyes:, but to me.......its all about history and southern pride!!! im proud as hell to fly the confederate flag.......and will till the day i die!!! but no...........it aint about racism at all!!!:)

19. Jul 31, 2008 at 12:52 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I think as much as it is a symbol of southern pride, it is to others a symbol of slavery and suppression. With as much honor it is flown with for heritage, it is a reminder of suffering and unequality to others. In my opinion I would not want to offend anyone directly or passively when I can be pridefull without flying any flag.

20. Jul 31, 2008 at 12:54 PM
    blake1012

blake1012 Go Braves!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chazz Michael Michaels
    Duluth, GA
    Vehicle:
    2003 ext cab. tacoma.
    8000k HID's, Weathertech Digital Fit floor liners, Rhino Lined bed, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart wheels, bull bar, step rails, Redline Tuning hood struts, low profile tool box
    my thoughts exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top