Notices

confederate flag

View Poll Results: do you believe the confederate flag is a symbol of racism
yes it is 20 17.70%
no it is not 55 48.67%
i dont care about some stupid flag 10 8.85%
i dont know what the rebel flag is 0 0%
its a thing of past history that should be left in the past 19 16.81%
its the best way for a southerner to show his pride for his southern state 22 19.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
beastlytaco's Tacoma Gallery
confederate flag

okay so i know there was some heated debates between people about the confederate flag so ill be the first to start it. do you believe it is or is not a symbol of racism?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ebel-flag.html

this is how it will end.... IMO

Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
It's not a symbol of Racism.

Most of the people who view it as such (from my experience) have little to no knowledge about the history of said flag. The thing they know about it is that it was a flag from the Confederacy and thus it must be an evil flag flown by hate filled southern racists. This is not the truth. The only other argument I have heard on how the confederate flag is racist is that groups such as the KKK have used the flag in their "meetings/demonstrations". One thing I would like to point out to those people is that the KKK also uses American Flags as well as signs of Christianity.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #4
beastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedbeastlytaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yeah probly. but in light of the recent events i thought a revisitation might be handy

Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by eordonez View Post
Well, the OP of that thread started the thread with such a well thought out and logical argument to support his claim that it is almost impossible to rebuke his claims.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Tacoma World Ring Leader
klown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shedklown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

klown's Tacoma Gallery
OUCH! This thread isn't going to last. Tcbob has already banned the confederate flag on this forum. I'd watch it if I were you guys.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #7

oh well i meant for this to be a civilized and respectable debate. i DONT want people attacking each other about it.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
can i vote neither?

i dont like saying the word heritage when in reference to this flag...however i feel like it represents the same thing that our very own American Flag represents...a group of like minded people who want to govern ourselves...i dont care who says what or what you believe...that war was fought over states rights...

we wanted the right to govern ourselves and make the decisions that were right for our state...even if it meant slavery or no slavery...

to be clear...i absolutely agree that slavery in any way shape or form is wrong...as well as discrimination of any kind due to race sex etc...

the lack of knowledge about the flags etc is incredible...people pin all this hatred on a Confederate flag, but not all of them...and not even always the correct one...

Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #9

well thats the kind of debating i had in mind

Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Who here thinks that the current SC flag is racist?

no one?

Hmm...well...its the same flag that we flew over Fort Sumter when we seceded from the Union

Old 07-31-2008, 11:08 AM   #11

looks like a tree and a cresent moon to any uneducated person

Old 07-31-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

I think the flag debate rages hotter in my state than anywhere else in the country currently...

A little background on the issue...in the 1970's a Confederate Battle Flag was raised above our State House dome below the American and State flags...it was not intended to be a permanent fixture, but became one for whatever reason. Recently, the NAACP began starting boycotts that include any NCAA championship events from being held in our state until the CBF was removed from the dome. During the arguments in our state govt about this, a compromise was reached and the flag was moved from the dome to the already existant Confederate Soldier memorial on the state house grounds. The NAACP boycotts were not ended, and even more recently they have begun to argue that the flag should not even be flying at the monument. It turns out that this monument is actually at one of the single most visible spots on the grounds. It is directly at the end of Main St. in downtown Columbia.

I think that IF the flag is going to be flown outdoors and not in a museum, then this is the appropriate place for it. It is part of our history, however dark and twisted that may be, and theres no more historical place in this city than our very own state house. As many of you know, General Sherman marched on this city during his campaign, and it eventually burned, though some argue not at the hands of Sherman's men. Our state house took 6 direct shots from a cannon and was partially burned down. There are monuments and memorials all over those grounds and across the river where the cannons were. We still use a couple buildings that were once used to process cotton and as confederate printing presses.

All of this at one time stood for the CSA...and that flag flew above mens and boys heads as they marched out against seemingly impossible odds to defend their right to govern themselves.

I wont display one on my truck, my house, my webpage, anywhere like that...i believe that it shouldnt be viewed as a racist symbol, though, like everything else, extremists have ruined the image of.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM   #13
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastlytaco View Post
looks like a tree and a cresent moon to any uneducated person

to be fair...its actually just a crescent...not a crescent moon

theres no real clear source as to where the crescent came from, though its thought to symbolize defensive prowess...several prominent families from Charleston also had crescents in their previous coats of arms. Charlston troops were carrying a blue banner with 3 crescents on them at one point in the 1770s prior to the creation of the current flag

its placement would indicate a moon, however its used on several flags and placed in several places in various directions

Old 07-31-2008, 11:34 AM   #14
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
I don't give a #$%^ one way or the other as long as you keep it out of the joke section.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Justin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud ofJustin626 has much to be proud of

Justin626's Tacoma Gallery
IMO it is not a sign of racism, but I know there are people out there that use it to convey the fact that they are.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:24 PM   #16
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
that flag i see to you southern guys may have its heritage behind it, but here in san diego you get young kids that dont know what that flag means and i have seen used as hatred and it ends up giving that flag a bad rep been through that situation thats why i dont like the flag. but it doesnt hurt me none. just dont make a scene with it and make racial comments.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #17

this is indeed true. people have used the flag as a source of racism. however, i view the flag just as a piece of history. i love history. World history. american history. ancient to early aztec history. all are important to rembering the past. however i feel that it is important not to relive the past over and over again

Old 07-31-2008, 12:31 PM   #18
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
just my opinion......but people need to quit living in the past!! sure, some made the flag a racial thing, but to me.......its all about history and southern pride!!! im proud as hell to fly the confederate flag.......and will till the day i die!!! but no...........it aint about racism at all!!!

Old 07-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #19
Go Vick ??? Go Birds !!!
Rtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRtrn2taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rtrn2taco's Tacoma Gallery
I think as much as it is a symbol of southern pride, it is to others a symbol of slavery and suppression. With as much honor it is flown with for heritage, it is a reminder of suffering and unequality to others. In my opinion I would not want to offend anyone directly or passively when I can be pridefull without flying any flag.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
Go Braves!
blake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblake1012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chazz Michael Michaels
blake1012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
just my opinion......but people need to quit living in the past!! sure, some made the flag a racial thing, but to me.......its all about history and southern pride!!! im proud as hell to fly the confederate flag.......and will till the day i die!!! but no...........it aint about racism at all!!!
my thoughts exactly

Closed Thread