1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just Wondering...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by myname150, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Is it illegal to "Brake Check" people? I really hate people who tailgate you and i am really tempted to slam on the brakes. Anyways, most of the idiots at school that tailgate drive little POS cars, im sure theyll just go under me lol. Plus i cant think of any other way to get em off your tail, especially if its just a two lane road.

2. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Are you driving like a granny? Go the speed limit and maybe they won't be up your ass. Or go a little faster than the speed limit. :D:D:p

Normally the person doing the 'rear-ending' is at fault.....but if they claim you slammed on your brakes for no apparent reason on the highway (and have witnesses in the car) - you could be blamed for it. So, go ahead...I dare you to give it a try.

Other suggestions... Pull over and let them go by you.

THe last thing you want - is to brake check someone and end up pissing them off. Next thing you know, they'll be following you home and pointing a gun in your face.

3. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:39 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    X2

4. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    i know how you feel man some people are just stupid especially at school but yeah i agree with the previous posts

5. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I would guess that it's illegal if they can prove that's what you were doing as it's unsafe but I do it now and then when some asshole is right on my bumper :)

6. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    X3

7. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:49 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    As long as your going the speed limit and not under it, I wouldnt do anything. Let them stay on your tail, it'll just piss them off more!! I encounter this all the time. Its 35MPH on the main blvd here and people always seem to go betweent 20-30MPH and it annoys the hell out of me!! But during an emergency and having to get to the station, I tail them like no other!!!:mad:

8. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    myname150

Member:
    Lol i dont drive slow. Im either at the posted speed limit or 5MPH above. I wouldnt say i slammed on it "for no apparent reason", the twat behind me is tailgating! :mad:

I would know if someone is following me, i keep an eye on my mirrors. Thankfully the Police Station is right behind my neighborhood. Getting followed home is scary shit, ive only had that happen to me once coming home from walmart lol go figure. I shouldnt have been out at that time anyways.

I know right!? And my school is kind of in the middle of no where, so its just a like a two lane Farm Market road leading to the main road. I woullddd pull over or change lane, but theres no shoulder and i cant go onto the other side lol

Does anyone have any other ways of keeping tailgater's off you? I really think brake checks should be an absolute last resort.

9. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    005Tacoma

005Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Thomasville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma
    If I'm doing the speed limit and they want to ride my bumper I just slow down 20 or 30 mph and make them either pass or fall back some.

10. Nov 9, 2010 at 1:57 PM
    98_Mud_bug

98_Mud_bug 98_mud_bug

Member:
    lucedale Ms.
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma sr5/ 06 x-runner
    3 inch suspension lift, night shades corner and blinkers projector headlights with halos and 3 led's 18 inch kmc xd rockstar wheels,275/65/18 kelly safari tsr's, bush whacker fender flares 7 inch touch screen, 2 kenwood 12's, Magnaflow exaust single in dual out,
    take your washer nozzle for the windshield and point it up some. so when you spray water it goes over the truck and onto their windshield...:D

11. Nov 9, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I know right!? And my school is kind of in the middle of no where, so its just a like a two lane Farm Market road leading to the main road. I woullddd pull over or change lane, but theres no shoulder and i cant go onto the other side lol

Does anyone have any other ways of keeping tailgater's off you? I really think brake checks should be an absolute last resort.[/quote]

yeah man thats how it is at my school, and on rainy days its the worst! haha but if you know the people tailgating you then tell them to slow down stop, or go slower:D haha but really idk i dont think there really is a good solution

12. Nov 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    "Hello 911 operator, there is a maniac in a xxxxx colored xxxxxx tailgating me and waving what looks to me like a gun around. I am driving a Toyota Tacoma pickup truck and am heading xxxx on xxxxxx."

Have made that call twice and since viewing objects in my rear view mirror is hard to do it may very well have been a phone, or a hot dog but I'm not taking chances. Both times perpetrators were ticketed and one of them arrested and detained in reference to earlier activities that an outstanding warrant had been issued for.

Your mileage may vary.

13. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    myname150

Member:
    Woah! I didnt even know you could call in to 911 for tailgaters. I dont know about kiddos at school having outstanding warrants :spy: But i definitely will give that a shot (no pun intended lol).

yeah man thats how it is at my school, and on rainy days its the worst! haha but if you know the people tailgating you then tell them to slow down stop, or go slower:D haha but really idk i dont think there really is a good solution[/QUOTE]

AH! I like the slowing down idea, so no brakes...ill just let my self coast :D

14. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    haha maybe they will learn to slow themselves down! haha

15. Nov 9, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    CelticTaco151

CelticTaco151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kate
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road DBL Cab 4x4
    Tailgating is the worst. Brake checking is really not too good of an idea because the person behind you may just hit you and no one wants to deal with that. Never, ever admit you were brake checking. Some people just cannot drive, but don't risk you or your truck getting injured. In September, I was on the highway and a lady was following too close. When traffic had to slow down she slammed into me (Thankfully not in the Tacoma). I dont think there really is a good solution, but it is frustrating.

16. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    this is what i do. plus the washer fluid.. :p the nozzle shoots a little over the top anyways

17. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    Get some bright ass lights in the back of your truck and turn them on(if at night). if am doing the speed limit or even above it and some ass is tailgating i slow down 5mph below the speed limit and wait for them to pass then don't let them back in front of you.

18. Nov 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Bro....we all have to deal with this. JUST drive the speed limit or to the current driving condition. Who cares if they are a few feet off your back bumper, if you have to slam on the brakes guess what? If they hit you it's their fault, so don't worry about them being mad.
    If the conditions are safe for the speed limit, and you're going the speed limit. They have no room to get mad at you, so forget about them.
    So don't brake check them, you just never know nowadays who you're messing with (could have a gun).
    So do yourself a favor and everyone else on the road and pay attention to the road, as well as what your doing.

As far as it being illegal, I don't know.
    It would probably depend on the state, every state will have different laws.

19. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    It's not called "brake checking"...it's called yielding to that fluffy bunny or squirrel that only you could see crossing the road. :D

20. Nov 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Illegal...If they can prove you intended to cause an accident you can get a ticket and/or accused of insurance fraud.
    Stupid- VERY. You could pull over and defuse the situation or just keep letting them tailgate you and not increase the risk of an accident or you can unexpectedly jam on the brakes and hope like hell they don't rear end you. I'm all for not increasing the risk of my truck having to go to the shop.

I saw the "bright lights" thing up there again...That's REALLY illegal and again...it's all about what they can prove...if you add lights like that...Intent gets easier to make out.

Products Discussed in

To Top