LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

RC Trucks

Old 11-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #1
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
RC Trucks

I know there are some RC guys on here. My son is wanting a RC Truck for Christmas. He is looking for a Traxxas or something of that nature. I know they are about 300-400 bucks, but he also just made High Honnors at school. So we decided we are going to get one for him.

Whats a good one to buy thats around 300 that he can build upon and kind of make it his own later? I heard some of the electric are actually quicker than gas now. not sure. Would like to go electric I guess.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
thekid1550 is on a distinguished road

thekid1550's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion you should try looking around these websites towerhobbies.com and rpphobby.com. I personally am a big fan of the tamiya kits. my father bought 3 kits back in the 80s and we watched him build them then we got to ruin them lol. I like them for their scale realism and hop up options plus you can get them in kits or ready to run just add a battery and charger.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 AM   #3
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks...He likes to build, so I may get him a kit.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
I know there are some RC guys on here. My son is wanting a RC Truck for Christmas. He is looking for a Traxxas or something of that nature. I know they are about 300-400 bucks, but he also just made High Honnors at school. So we decided we are going to get one for him.

Whats a good one to buy thats around 300 that he can build upon and kind of make it his own later? I heard some of the electric are actually quicker than gas now. not sure. Would like to go electric I guess.
Hello, I used to work in a Hobby Shop and owned an e-commerce hobby shop, so I do have some experience/knowledge on the subject.

I can tell you that there are about a million different R/C cars to chose from, and it can be kinda hard to chose the right one. But I feel that in order to pick the right one, you gotta ask yourself a few questions.
Questions like, do I want something to just play around with, or a race truck? Do I have time or tools to work on these cars? Do I want to jump it, or rock crawl?
All are good questions.

From my experience, I think that Traxxas is one of the best (if not the best) companies in the industry right now. They are a very innovative company, and I think that they would have something that is perfect for your Son.

Anyways, I have some questions for you.
How old is your Son, if you don't mind me asking.
Has he ever worked on anything mechanical?
Is this something he wants to have to just play around in the fields, or race?
Does he want something strictly for the street?
Is he asking for gas or electric? Probably Gas! lol
Old 11-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #5
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Alright OP, I'm not sure if you got everything you needed.
But I'm going to bed, if you need more help let me know. And next time I'll log in tomorrow I'll answer it.
Have a good one.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #6
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
well personally, i've always liked electric over gas. electric is a lot easier to maintain, but i think gas can be a lot faster than electric. the only electric i've had was tamiya and nothing else... tons of upgrades and tech friendly
Old 11-13-2010, 03:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Hello, I used to work in a Hobby Shop and owned an e-commerce hobby shop, so I do have some experience/knowledge on the subject.

I can tell you that there are about a million different R/C cars to chose from, and it can be kinda hard to chose the right one. But I feel that in order to pick the right one, you gotta ask yourself a few questions.
Questions like, do I want something to just play around with, or a race truck? Do I have time or tools to work on these cars? Do I want to jump it, or rock crawl?
All are good questions.

From my experience, I think that Traxxas is one of the best (if not the best) companies in the industry right now. They are a very innovative company, and I think that they would have something that is perfect for your Son.

Anyways, I have some questions for you.
How old is your Son, if you don't mind me asking.
Has he ever worked on anything mechanical?
Is this something he wants to have to just play around in the fields, or race?
Does he want something strictly for the street?
Is he asking for gas or electric? Probably Gas! lol
Me I have time, I have tools... If there are specialty tools i will need them.

Age...11

Mechanical....He loves the lego technics, the ones with the servo's and motors and stuff, I have like between the computer, motors and all that stuff about 1500 wrapped into lego's. Mechanial...he rips his bike apart and puts it back together.

Play or Race.. Well, Just play for now. Good question...Im thinking rock crawler, but i will ask him later.

Asking for Gas... But Im thinking electric because little less Maintenance. I heard gas you have to always tune on the carbs. ~~Not sure.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
Alright OP, I'm not sure if you got everything you needed.
But I'm going to bed, if you need more help let me know. And next time I'll log in tomorrow I'll answer it.
Have a good one.
Dude...Thanks a lot....Rep for a good guy.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
southernboy2563 is on a distinguished road
southernboy2563's Tacoma Gallery
hi im new on here but to answer your question about the rc cars. i have been in the hobby for about 10 years and i can say in my opinion Traxxas is the best out there. they have the most popular models and therefore have the most aftermarket support as well. far as electric or gas gas is a little aggrivating some times with the carbs like you said but not that bad you just have to follow the instructions and do preventive maintance like the manufacture says and it will run for ever. electric has come along way in the last few years and if you bought a brushless vehicle it will smoke a gas one! hope this helps you out
Old 11-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #10

http://allentown.craigslist.org/tag/2055277513.html

Just found this...its gas though... but for the price, it may be worth it.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
TACO SUPREME
c0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud ofc0astie31 has much to be proud of
Coast Guard: MK1/E-6
Name: Dennis
c0astie31's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to c0astie31
go get him the 4x4 traxxas slash electric, it is the best truck around, and you can get a tacoma body for it,
Old 11-13-2010, 06:10 AM   #12
Razorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shedRazorecko is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Razorecko's Tacoma Gallery
get electric, it'll be easier for him to get up and go later. Not only that but electric is quiet where gas is pretty loud. Get a full build kit, I put one togethor myself when i was around 11 and it was a rewarding expierance. Building the frame, filling the shocks with oil, soldering the motor wiring, etc. Really good expiearnce for a kid
Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernboy2563 View Post
hi im new on here but to answer your question about the rc cars. i have been in the hobby for about 10 years and i can say in my opinion Traxxas is the best out there. they have the most popular models and therefore have the most aftermarket support as well. far as electric or gas gas is a little aggrivating some times with the carbs like you said but not that bad you just have to follow the instructions and do preventive maintance like the manufacture says and it will run for ever. electric has come along way in the last few years and if you bought a brushless vehicle it will smoke a gas one! hope this helps you out
Welcome....Thanks i heard the brushless are nice.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:16 AM   #14
thecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedthecoldone06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thecoldone06's Tacoma Gallery
Brushless is extremely fast! It will smoke most gas motors easy. If you go brushless, you'll more than likely be looking at LiPo batteries for it. Take care of how you charge LiPo batteries as they can explode if not charged correctly. Not saying don't go electric by any means, just be careful. That said, I love my nitro truggy!
Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know alot about RC stuff, but I have "dabbled" in it. My oppinion.......Look into the RC18T. They come in en RTR (ready to Run) complete, and just need to add batteries. THis would give extra money for an extra batt., as well as mods. Its a good intro RC vehicle.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
i actually went to hobbytown usa recently, i got recommended the traxxis gas truck, the S-Maxx. 300 bucks, ready to run, just buy gas, electric stat, the works, only two wheel drive, but it does like 40 miles an hour.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.traxxas.com/products/mode...ric/5607summit

i'd look into this.

As far as kits go, they are generally orientated to people who want to race and lack certain parts like radios, motors, esc, etc. because people who usually by the kits put their own stuff in. I'd recommend getting a electric car/truck for his first hobby-grade R/C. Another good company is HPI (http://www.hpiracing.com/home/)

I've been in the hobby for quite sometime
Old 11-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
Trucks i'd also recommend would be:
HPI Blitz
Traxxas Slash
Traxxas E-Maxx
Old 11-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Black06Taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Dillon
Black06Taco's Tacoma Gallery
He could always get a scale crawler, they look real, have lots of parts you can buy, you can make them fast if u want, they're easy to maintain, and if you don't know a lot about real cars, building a honcho kit can teach you about suspension, differentials, and lots of other stuff.

Id suggest a Axial SCX10 honcho

Sent from my HTC Aria
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
DO YOU SON SOME GOOD AND GET HIM AN HPI SAVAGE!!!!!!