Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

Wood sealer

Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Wood sealer

Anyone out there doing home improvement projects with wood? I'm trying to transform sections of a tree we cut down into useful things around the house. Benches, tables, etc. My uncle mentioned something about an epoxy-type two part sealer that you can pour on, and it when it dries it's like a layer of glass over the wood. But he couldn't remember the name of it, and I haven't been able to google it.

Anyone know what he was talking about? Or know of something I could use? I want a little coffee/drink table to leave out on my deck and maybe some benches around my fire pit. So they'll have to stand up to rain and snow. I know polyurethane breaks down after a while. I think the wood is cherry so it would be nice to have the grain come out.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
Mine's the silver one...
SilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the roughSilverMac is a jewel in the rough

SilverMac's Tacoma Gallery
I got some at Home Depot 2 weeks ago. You pour it on instead of spraying it, and it claims to be like 40 layers of epoxy... It's great stuff (until you spill it)
Old 08-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Be careful with these epoxy's, some of them have a tendency to cloud up when exposed to constant weather/sun. Might want to look into a mineral oil or a wax, try ask this old house, I hear they respond to e-mails pretty promptly.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 AM   #6
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by concrete jedi View Post
Be careful with these epoxy's, some of them have a tendency to cloud up when exposed to constant weather/sun. Might want to look into a mineral oil or a wax, try ask this old house, I hear they respond to e-mails pretty promptly.
Thanks for the heads up! I noticed a couple saying they don't yellow over time so that's definitely something I'll be looking for when I buy. It's gonna be a while though. I don't exactly have the proper tools to work with logs! So it's gonna take a bit more time to get it where I want it.

I may end up asking my coworker about his friend/neighbor with a portable sawmill.