Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Off-Topic Discussion

Notices

FYI: For NFL fans

Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Lightbulb FYI: For NFL fans

I just filled out a survey for NBC & the NFL. Here is an interesting fact that NBC is going to promote this fall.

"Starting this September, viewers will be able to watch “Sunday Night Football” not only on TV, but also online. “Sunday Night Football Extra” is a”live” online stream of that night’s televised game. Through “Sunday Night Football Extra”, users can choose different camera angles, watch replays, get additional stats, and interact with NBC and NFL experts via a running blog. "
Old 08-03-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Thats gonna be awesome, now theres one more reason i cant wait for football to start!!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Thats gonna be awesome, now theres one more reason i cant wait for football to start!!!!!

Yes, I'm looking forward to the web version. I work Sunday nights & now I can sit at my desk & watch while working.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
That sounds like alot of fun! Hell, I like to turn the volume down on the TV. I can't stand most commentators! This should be interesting.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #5
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
+1
Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
I predict horrible server crashes because they can't handle the bandwidth requirements.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
I predict horrible server crashes because they can't handle the bandwidth requirements.
I don't forsee that happening. NBC seems to have a grasp on the web services. Have you checked out there page http://www.hulu.com This site is co-owned by NBC & I'm sure uses alot more bandwidth than the NFL pages will. Also I work in a data center & internet networks have come a long way in the last couple of years. Here at work our network speed is 39MB a sec. Two years ago it was only 6MB a sec. Our network supports 10's of thousands of people every day. With very few glitches. As for server crashes, I bet they are using a blade array with probably EMC disk space. This is much better than a traditional server. We have Egenera & HP blade technologies here & we also use Virtual server.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #8
Unapologetic Texan
sawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to beholdsawdust is a splendid one to behold

sawdust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
I don't forsee that happening. NBC seems to have a grasp on the web services. Have you checked out there page http://www.hulu.com This site is co-owned by NBC & I'm sure uses alot more bandwidth than the NFL pages will. Also I work in a data center & internet networks have come a long way in the last couple of years. Here at work our network speed is 39MB a sec. Two years ago it was only 6MB a sec. Our network supports 10's of thousands of people every day. With very few glitches. As for server crashes, I bet they are using a blade array with probably EMC disk space. This is much better than a traditional server. We have Egenera & HP blade technologies here & we also use Virtual server.
Oh, I hope you're right. Still, the cynical side of me doesn't believe it. I probably should have nuanced my prediction more. It's not so much server crashes I'm predicting, but horrible response times to the point that users are frustrated and give up. I come at this from the software side, since I'm a programmer. Few programmers know how to scale to that level. Even if the hardware and bandwidth are working perfectly, the software could still have horrible bottlenecks. The interactive features of the system are the red flag to me.

We'll just have to wait and see which one of us is right :-) Like I said, I hope you are, but my prediction is here for all to read. I won't gloat if I'm right, and I'll accept whatever razzing comes my way if I'm wrong.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Oh, I hope you're right. Still, the cynical side of me doesn't believe it. I probably should have nuanced my prediction more. It's not so much server crashes I'm predicting, but horrible response times to the point that users are frustrated and give up. I come at this from the software side, since I'm a programmer. Few programmers know how to scale to that level. Even if the hardware and bandwidth are working perfectly, the software could still have horrible bottlenecks. The interactive features of the system are the red flag to me.

We'll just have to wait and see which one of us is right :-) Like I said, I hope you are, but my prediction is here for all to read. I won't gloat if I'm right, and I'll accept whatever razzing comes my way if I'm wrong.
I understand your thoughts. If it was one of the other networks I would be right beside you on this, gritting my teeth at the thought of a great idea coming to a screeching halt on the first run. I believe NBC has had lots of practice with there site HULU(hulu also support HD movies for high bandwidth). I'm being optimistic on this. But I too could be wrong with how NBC handles this.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:28 AM   #10
L8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant futureL8Rmike has a brilliant future

Air Force: Retired
L8Rmike's Tacoma Gallery
I read this about NBC's "Football Night in America" a few weeks ago and it cracked me up, mostly because I think it's on the money.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...s-is-a-bad-act
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Rmike View Post
I read this about NBC's "Football Night in America" a few weeks ago and it cracked me up, mostly because I think it's on the money.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8331492/NBC's-cast-of-thousands-is-a-bad-act

I agree Fox does sports much better than any station. Football is better, with better commentators. Nascar is much better on Fox than ESPN also. Usually I turn the sound down on the TV & tune to a radio station airing the game or event. The radio announcers are better commentators than most non-Fox channels.

But I really like the idea that NBC will offer via online:" users can choose different camera angles, watch replays, get additional stats."
Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 AM   #12
missileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shedmissileman125fw is one of the sharper tools in the shed
missileman125fw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree Fox does sports much better than any station. Football is better, with better commentators. Nascar is much better on Fox than ESPN also. Usually I turn the sound down on the TV & tune to a radio station airing the game or event. The radio announcers are better commentators than most non-Fox channels.

But I really like the idea that NBC will offer via online:" users can choose different camera angles, watch replays, get additional stats."
I've always enjoyed ESPNs NASCAR coverage.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by missileman125fw View Post
I've always enjoyed ESPNs NASCAR coverage.
I'm shocked! All my Nascar friends agree Fox does a better job. But I'm glad for you that you enjoy it. At least they have 1 fan.
Rusty Wallace is the only competent one on there. The basketball player had never heard of Nascar when he joined the team. Last year he was learning the lingo while on the air.

The Fox gang does a better job. Also Espn doesn't use enough cameras. They are always missing wrecks or even some good racing.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
Favre Rules!!

Yes he does! What sucks is we had him in Atlanta at the start of his career & our former dumbass owners let him go to Greenbay.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #16
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes he does! What sucks is we had him in Atlanta at the start of his career & our former dumbass owners let him go to Greenbay.
He might be coming back, because the Management of the Packers have their heads up their asses and don't want him now...what fricken morons.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #17
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:

Good article about NBC's network capabilities. Why it won't come to a screeching halt:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9221&tag=nl.e539