So far I have:
- switched almost all light bulbs to CFLs
- replaced 8 windows
- foam sealed cracks in the basement
- caulked around windows
- stuffed insulation and weather stripping where ever I can
- new doors (metal, insulated, framed) to replace ALL of the current ones
- dehumidifier to dry out basement and maybe get rid of the dampness cooling the house/making my water heater controls short out
- replace more windows
- new roof (not sure what kind would be best: shingle, metal, etc)
- some sort of solar setup to reduce electric or produce hot water. not sure yet on that
- researching geothermal
- maybe switching to an electric on-demand water heater so I can shut the furnace off spring through fall
- maybe heating with biodiesel made myself
Anyone else have good ideas or things they've done themselves and know work? I've noticed a difference in how much cooler the house is with new windows, but I'm waiting to see how much of an improvement they make in the winter.
Cheap ideas would be great! lol I'm looking at 10g's to have someone do my roof, 11g's to "encapsulate" the basement (hell, I'll try a $100 dehumidifier first), and the list goes on.